The Sound of Pacific: The Newest DAC from Lampizator

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ed has threatened to set his dogs on any dealers discounting his SGM!

I am not talking about discounts, retail is retail, discounts and used prices are another matter altogether for any product.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, sorry for talking money here LOL

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
In house DS chipset not used in audio. 2 years in development I am told.

Interesting. I would love to hear it. But I do have an aversion to DS chips and their accompanying up sampling and filtering. I may be proved wrong if I can get to hear it mind. Wonder why they 'dropped' the discrete R-2R board? More details will appear after the launch.

But hats on for putting so many tubes in a DAC. It is a brave design for sure. I am intrigued.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting. I would love to hear it. But I do have an aversion to DS chips and their accompanying up sampling and filtering. I may be proved wrong if I can get to hear it mind. Wonder why they 'dropped' the discrete R-2R board? More details will appear after the launch.

But hats on for putting so many tubes in a DAC. It is a brave design for sure. I am intrigued.

R2R is optional

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From gpoint audios Facebook

What is standard: LAN input RJ45 port, USB input, DSD engine 512x. PCM engine 384kHz, Rca S/PDIF input, premium capacitors Mundorf Silver/Gold. Tube changing (rolling) is possible for 300B, 45, 245, 345, PX-4, PX-25, 242, 6A3, and 101D triode compatibility with a selector switch. 2A3 by special request only.Special KR2A3-4V with 4V heaters allowed.
Sold with the best triodes we can buy (limited by scarce resources) KRON KR45, or PX-4 or KR300B-RK or similar.

Each DAC can have one more digital input of choice. Dac has tube diode rectifier (Emission labs, KRON) from 5U4G or 274B range.

The chassis is all solid brass polished and protected.
Balanced or single ended versions are possible. Volume controlled (with remote and display) or plain.

Pacific also has some luxury features like: Exclusive flight case packing, Stacore footers, WBT sockets, WBT or Mundorf premium silver/gold solder, gold plated PCB, special Ogonowski chokes, teflon/gold tube sockets, Mundorf electrolytes in power supply, silver point to point wiring with silver screens, 1% military resistors.

Each volume controlled DAC has a remote control handheld IR unit. One Pulsar superclock affecting USB is preinstalled.
R2R ladder discrete engine is optional.

Shipping weight is 40 kg (90 lb) and waiting time from order to delivery 4 weeks.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016

LAN input RJ45 port, USB input, DSD engine 512x. PCM engine 384kHz, Rca S/PDIF input, premium capacitors Mundorf Silver/Gold. Tube changing (rolling) is possible for 300B, 45, 245, 345, PX-4, PX-25, 242, 6A3, and 101D triode compatibility with a selector switch. 2A3 by special request only.Special KR2A3-4V with 4V heaters allowed.
Sold with the best triodes we can buy (limited by scarce resources) KRON KR45, or PX-4 or KR300B-RK or similar.

Anyone have additional information on what LAN setup is based on? Is it Raspberry Pi or something else? Is the 384kHz for PCM likely to change in the future to something higher? Folks, in RMAF can someone post the picture of the selector switch.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

What is standard: LAN input RJ45 port, USB input, DSD engine 512x. PCM engine 384kHz, Rca S/PDIF input, premium capacitors Mundorf Silver/Gold. Tube changing (rolling) is possible for 300B, 45, 245, 345, PX-4, PX-25, 242, 6A3, and 101D triode compatibility with a selector switch. 2A3 by special request only.Special KR2A3-4V with 4V heaters allowed.

Each DAC can have one more digital input of choice. Dac has tube diode rectifier (Emission labs, KRON) from 5U4G or 274B range.

The chassis is all solid brass polished and protected.
Balanced or single ended versions are possible. Volume controlled (with remote and display) or plain.

Pacific also has some luxury features like: Exclusive flight case packing, Stacore footers, WBT sockets, WBT or Mundorf premium silver/gold solder, gold plated PCB, special Ogonowski chokes, teflon/gold tube sockets, Mundorf electrolytes in power supply, silver point to point wiring with silver screens, 1% military resistors.

Each volume controlled DAC has a remote control handheld IR unit. One Pulsar superclock affecting USB is preinstalled.
R2R ladder discrete engine is optional.

Shipping weight is 40 kg (90 lb) and waiting time from order to delivery 4 weeks.

So plenty of scope to upgrade then.
Rip out the Electrolytics for Clarity cap poly kelvin connected, rip out the WBT sockets, request wonder solder, custom match the resistors and caps and replace the DS for the r2r.
easy peasy! :)

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Compared to GGB, how to select different input? There seems to be no more toggle switches at the back. And also for no VC version, will there be any display on the front? If yes, can it be turned off during play?
View attachment 35636

View attachment 35637

I've heard it weights 30kg ? Fingerprints will love it.

And BTW - the lettering on the laser engraved back is also gold.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So plenty of scope to upgrade then.
Rip out the Electrolytics for Clarity cap poly kelvin connected, rip out the WBT sockets, request wonder solder, custom match the resistors and caps and replace the DS for the r2r.
easy peasy! :)

Apparently Lukasz thinks the New chip is the magic sauce, so not going to second guess him without a compare

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Blue, you're making things MUCH too complicated LOL

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am most curious about Pacific performance through the LAN port, and wether it is on par or even better, than using USB. I've just paid a lot of money for Antipodes DX with 4 TB of SSD storage and was planning to upgrade to GG in the nearest future. Now, if you do not need an expensive music server, the price gap between GG and Pacific becomes much smaller. Unless the LAN input will be available on GG too:) Too many choices, Lukasz. Your are making our life even more difficult:cool:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I am most curious about Pacific performance through the LAN port, and wether it is on par or even better, than using USB. I've just paid a lot of money for Antipodes DX with 4 TB of SSD storage and was planning to upgrade to GG in the nearest future. Now, if you do not need an expensive music server, the price gap between GG and Pacific becomes much smaller. Unless the LAN input will be available on GG too:) Too many choices, Lukasz. Your are making our life even more difficult:cool:

If you mean ethernet connection, I have found in my system dropping out USB and going Ethernet is a game changer.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
This is what I keep reading: Ethernet is superior to USB. What DAC do you use with the Ethernet connection?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Not with the Pulsar clock.

It is not just clocking, it is about noise and dirty power stuffed down the wire, and other USB issues. Another thread, but I am done with USB, 3 years and piles of 'fixers'. It would be interesting to compare the 2 connections of the Pacific. The CH precision C1 was much better on Ethernet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing