HECO Direkt Einklang / Zweiklang / Dreiklang

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
With 1.5 watts?

853guy

You can't drive AN/E with 1.5 Watts. I heard an expensive AN/E 8 Watt amp try and fail. A lot of people think 20 Watts is enough. IMHO it isn't, but one amp, the AN 18 Watt Tomei 211 amp does work very well indeed. I put my 80 Watt 211 monos on a pair of AN/Es and the results astonished me.

I don't want to be rude, I'm just trying to help. Check this thread out: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?45110-The-211s-Have-Landed-And-Taken-Off-Again!!!

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I heard the AN-Es with the Jinro and the sound left me cold. It did wake them up a bit but the trade-off wasn't worth it. I've borrowed a huge Modwright SS amp and that really drove the AN-Es but it left the same impression on me. I suspect that there may be a great 211 amp out there that will give me the best of both worlds but I also suspect that it will be well beyond my budget.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
FWIW the owner is using a Pass Labs XA60.8 as a solid state option. Or was last time I heard, though I haven't heard it in his system.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Those wide-baffle Supravox speakers from the show look interesting as well.

Yes, and they sounded fantastic...however, they don't seem to be commercially available yet. I was told they will cost 10K euro when released. At least 96db and boxless sounding...very nice.

There is a nice pair of Odeon La Bohemes for sale in Europe that may sound even better and will work well in your not so large space. How do I know? It is what I run and they are horns that don't sound like it in the coloration but do sound like it from the dynamics. Transparency is on the electrostatic/ribbon level (I used to own many pairs of both so I have a good reference of this).

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yes, I really like the Reed TT. When I first got it I switched back and forth between the friction and the belt drives. I much prefer the friction drive though the belt drive can sound a little more 'romantic.' I suspect this is because music tends to sound more languid, with longer decays. With my previous table I switched the belt drive to an idler (Teres) so I guess I gravitate to the benefits that come with that approach. Having said that, I've never owned a DD so I can't say that I'd prefer an idler in all cases.

A quick question about open baffles...
I've actually never heard an open baffle nor a magnaplanar but I have heard a few electrostats from ML, Quad, and Soundlab.
I used own SoundLab A1s and the reason I sold them is because regardless of how I positioned them I couldn't get them to generate an immersive sound field beyond the speaker plane. In other words, they weren't room-filling. All the action happens behind the speaker plane and I'm left to feel like a bit of spectator looking through a window and watching the proceedings. My girlfriend at the time referred to this as "gulfy" -- there is a gulf between the listening position and the music. I experienced this sort of presentation with a pair of U1s at a local audiophile's place and another pair of A1s in the US so I know it wasn't a function of just my system or room. So, my question is -- is this a dipole thing or is it an electrostat thing? The main reason I purchased the AN-Es was their ability (when painstakingly positioned properly) to load or pressurize the room and, on the right recordings, throw an immersive/room-filling sound field. They do that in my space and, for all the other failings of my system, I am very hesitant to move on from them for this reason.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, I really like the Reed TT. When I first got it I switched back and forth between the friction and the belt drives. I much prefer the friction drive though the belt drive can sound a little more 'romantic.' I suspect this is because music tends to sound more languid, with longer decays. With my previous table I switched the belt drive to an idler (Teres) so I guess I gravitate to the benefits that come with that approach. Having said that, I've never owned a DD so I can't say that I'd prefer an idler in all cases.

A quick question about open baffles...
I've actually never heard an open baffle nor a magnaplanar but I have heard a few electrostats from ML, Quad, and Soundlab.
I used own SoundLab A1s and the reason I sold them is because regardless of how I positioned them I couldn't get them to generate an immersive sound field beyond the speaker plane. In other words, they weren't room-filling. All the action happens behind the speaker plane and I'm left to feel like a bit of spectator looking through a window and watching the proceedings. My girlfriend at the time referred to this as "gulfy" -- there is a gulf between the listening position and the music. I experienced this sort of presentation with a pair of U1s at a local audiophile's place and another pair of A1s in the US so I know it wasn't a function of just my system or room. So, my question is -- is this a dipole thing or is it an electrostat thing? The main reason I purchased the AN-Es was their ability (when painstakingly positioned properly) to load or pressurize the room and, on the right recordings, throw an immersive/room-filling sound field. They do that in my space and, for all the other failings of my system, I am very hesitant to move on from them for this reason.

That's nice to hear regarding the Reed. We will have one soon for trials to see how it competes with our big DDs (Yahama GT-2000 and Luxmann PD-444) and our big BD (large three motor magnetic decoupled Transrotor).

As to open baffles, I never owned one with conventional drivers...only true planars. I only owned flat panels as well (apogee, Infinity Betas, Stax, Audiostatic and Acoustat). One thing I found about them was that they were room filling so I cannot really relate to what you and your girlfriend experienced. I have yet to hear any Audionote system do that kind of scale as they have always sounded "small" and the music usually demoed was simple. Not sure how your music tastes run.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I know what you mean by "small" and I've heard them that way at a dealer's, at shows, and in my condo. My current speaker placement has them sounding quite big and spacious but not, I imagine, as big as some the speakers you listed. My musical tastes are strictly rock (in terms of what section of the record store you'd go to): from current bands such a Mogwai but mostly lots of 70s stuff. I was listening to a lot of early 70's Yes and Genesis last night and I've heard systems (mostly my own past systems) become a confused, flattened, and shouty mess on many of those songs. Last night mine did surprisingly well.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know what you mean by "small" and I've heard them that way at a dealer's, at shows, and in my condo. My current speaker placement has them sounding quite big and spacious but not, I imagine, as big as some the speakers you listed. My musical tastes are strictly rock (in terms of what section of the record store you'd go to): from current bands such a Mogwai but mostly lots of 70s stuff. I was listening to a lot of early 70's Yes and Genesis last night and I've heard systems (mostly my own past systems) become a confused, flattened, and shouty mess on many of those songs. Last night mine did surprisingly well.

I frequently fire up old Yes and King Crimson...not so much Genesis, never understood their appeal. My speakers handle that kind of music well but I am more a jazz and classical guy.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yup, I like King Crimson too.
I envy jazz and classical guys because I think those recordings, generally speaking, tend to sound better than the stuff I listen to. I enjoy both jazz and classical music when I see it live but I'm just not drawn to sit down and listen to it at home for some reason.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just heard that the open baffle speakers from Supravox are called "Zelia." They say they will be released soon.

Thanks for the info. Did you give them a call to find out? I will be most interested when this model comes out.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Exlibris - did you hear the Voxativ yet?

With that room, a front ported speaker might work very well.

A floor firing concept using TWQT cabinet loading or floor firing horn will work better in terms of room coupling and control in a small room. Something like the Bastanis Wildhorn or Matterhorn would be potentially a good option.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Exlibris - did you hear the Voxativ yet?

With that room, a front ported speaker might work very well.

A floor firing concept using TWQT cabinet loading or floor firing horn will work better in terms of room coupling and control in a small room. Something like the Bastanis Wildhorn or Matterhorn would be potentially a good option. These are similar to my Odeons in concept if not in the details...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Something like this would probably work very well in your room

http://www.bastanis.de/index.php/audio/horn-speaker/horn-speaker-rothorn

or if you are a bit more industrious:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII.htm#Crossover_DTQWT

OR if you feel like getting what is probaby the best currently available speaker with this design concept:

https://www.horninghybrid.com/aristoteles/
https://www.horninghybrid.com/eufrodite/

Eufrodite might be too large for your room but Aristoteles not.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Something like this would probably work very well in your room

http://www.bastanis.de/index.php/audio/horn-speaker/horn-speaker-rothorn

or if you are a bit more industrious:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII.htm#Crossover_DTQWT

OR if you feel like getting what is probaby the best currently available speaker with this design concept:

https://www.horninghybrid.com/aristoteles/
https://www.horninghybrid.com/eufrodite/

Eufrodite might be too large for your room but Aristoteles not.

I heard the Eufrodite at a show once and really liked what it was doing on top. The bottom end sounded like it was coming from a completely different speaker though. I've never been one to be that focused on seamless driver integration but the lack of integration was really obvious in this case. It could have been the room and room modes rather than the speaker.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
A floor firing concept using TWQT cabinet loading or floor firing horn will work better in terms of room coupling and control in a small room. Something like the Bastanis Wildhorn or Matterhorn would be potentially a good option. These are similar to my Odeons in concept if not in the details...

I'm not sure that I have a "small room." The ceiling above the listening position is 17' high and the listening space opens onto a kitchen with only an island separating the two.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing