World's Longest Tonearm???

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Holy cow! I assume there is some benefit there as the amount of force it takes to move from track to track is reduced???

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The table looks like a piano and the tonearm looks like a violin bow complete with a bow in the wood. Pretty funky looking set up, including the belts that looks like they aren't lined up correctly.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The table looks like a piano and the tonearm looks like a violin bow complete with a bow in the wood. Pretty funky looking set up, including the belts that looks like they aren't lined up correctly.

You've kind of got it :) The arm is "tunable" like a violin bow :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder what the effective mass is for that baby!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Does it still need antiskate?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Does it still need antiskate?

Good question. Will see if I can find out. The length is chosen to minimize tracing error but somehow suspect it does use antiskate, that is if you use antiskating.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Seems like you'd affect tracking weight when you apply the rosin.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Somehow I doubt that this is a good sounding tonearm. Are there any reviews available?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Another long one, from psycho Romy's site.

Attachments

• 27inchTonarm..jpg
    27inchTonarm..jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 239

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Somehow I doubt that this is a good sounding tonearm. Are there any reviews available?

Even if there were....most aesthetically unpleasant to view. Just plain ugly.

Reactions: Nascimento

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I feel there would be a problem with warped records, the inertia of the cartridge in the vertical axis would make the suspension bottom out at times. Probably only pristine records could be played, or you would need some sort of very effective clamping to flatten the surface, such as a vaccuum system.

Frank

Jake Purches

Jun 17, 2015
Another long one, from psycho Romy's site.
These silly long arms are made by people who don't really understand the physics of what is going on, in a bid to reduce the angular distortion found on pivot arms. Much better to go tangental if that is really bothering you. Having a long arm like this puts a load more mass to move, plus I hate to think what resonant modes are pinging back and forth on an arm like this. Colouration must be awful. Tonearms should be zero mass, infinite stiffness and zero friction. So its a tossing game to get as low a mass, with the best stiffness and the lowest friction possible in the real world. Making arms this length makes the arm very low stiffness, high mass and depending on the bearings, because of the weight, higher friction, with loads more bending modes. A nightmare! Even worse are ones made with a violin bow for Pete's sake.. unless of course one likes the sound of vinyl like that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing