Thread: Other tubes than KT150's in Ref 150se?

Other tubes than KT150's in Ref 150se?

Yeah, the best source of getting a good answer would be to ask ARC but they don't take phone calls any more and don't respond to email as fast as the good old days. Why would I want to move away from KT150's? Well, they are somewhat sterile sounding compared to the Tung-Sol or Svetlana 6550's for starters. So my question is whether there is anything about the filament current or such that would prohibit using these lower output tubes or KT88's. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Fsonicsmith View Post
    Yeah, the best source of getting a good answer would be to ask ARC but they don't take phone calls any more and don't respond to email as fast as the good old days. Why would I want to move away from KT150's? Well, they are somewhat sterile sounding compared to the Tung-Sol or Svetlana 6550's for starters. So my question is whether there is anything about the filament current or such that would prohibit using these lower output tubes or KT88's. Anyone know?
    Well, in case anyone cares, I did email ARC and ask. The response I received did not directly answer my question but implied that the answer is no. The answer I got was essentially, "anyone who thinks about replacing KT150s with the far-inferior KT88's or 6550's have nothing but rocks and dead fur in their heads". I am of course heavily paraphrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsonicsmith View Post
    Well, in case anyone cares, I did email ARC and ask. The response I received did not directly answer my question but implied that the answer is no. The answer I got was essentially, "anyone who thinks about replacing KT150s with the far-inferior KT88's or 6550's have nothing but rocks and dead fur in their heads". I am of course heavily paraphrasing.
    Rocks, certainly. Dead fur... I think mine is chopped brown paper! Not that I'm thinking of swapping tubes, just the general state of my brain. Strong coffee helps, or red wine.��
    óBob Vineyard, aka bobvin

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.