Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Servers at 3 price points.

Lumin is a great option

I've had the Lumin S-1 for almost three years. Works great, sounds terrific and is easy to use. And, it does MQA, DSD, streams Tidal and is Roon supported.

I have an Esoteric K Series CD/SACD player that stays unused most of the time, the Lumin gets a lot of play time along with my VPI Avenger.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    MJB, how does the S1 sound single ended out versus balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    MJB, how does the S1 sound single ended out versus balanced?
    I use the balanced only in my system. Have not done a comparison.

And here's a nice review of the flagship Innuos Zenith SE

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...enith-mkii-se/

I've had one of those in the store briefly, but I hope to be able to get another one (they're only making 100 of those)

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    No, no, no!

Get Greg Beron's United Home Audio Phase 1 tape deck for $6,500!

(I will talk to Irana.)
    Ron, the man wants to go digital, why suggest something out of left field where he'd be limited to 30 tapes at 500 a pop...
    3x20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | Music PC (HQPlayer w/DEQ, Roon) | AQ Cinnamon CAT7 cable | HDPLex LPSU -> UltraCap LPS-1 -> Sonore Ultrarendu D->D | Aqua Hifi Formula DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp | Musical Fidelity A3CR amp | Usher BE20D speakers with GR Research upgrade | 2: JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints, BD cones | Custom birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room (absorption/diffusion)

Once you go digital and streaming you never go back. Your collection jumps to tens of thousands of songs and is ever growing. New album out? you got it. What to check out the more expansive catalog of an artist - you got it. And with Tidal, want to hear MQA? you got it.

Also, the ramp up time is incredibly quick. Once everything is dialed in and you're used to the interface, sit back with a good drink, click and listen away!
    3x20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | Music PC (HQPlayer w/DEQ, Roon) | AQ Cinnamon CAT7 cable | HDPLex LPSU -> UltraCap LPS-1 -> Sonore Ultrarendu D->D | Aqua Hifi Formula DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp | Musical Fidelity A3CR amp | Usher BE20D speakers with GR Research upgrade | 2: JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints, BD cones | Custom birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room (absorption/diffusion)

sbo6, you may think I知 crazy, Hell i KNOW i知 crazy, but for me this still doesn稚 act as deal breaker.
    I still buy BluRay discs, despite Netflix and other streaming services having films on demand etc.
    Things may change, I知 due to revisit Blue58 who has really improved his system with introduction of Java Triple Shot optologic preamp and Denafrips Terminator R2R dac, via his well established SGM server and AG Duos horns.
    However, I feel like I知 drifting away from going streaming, and rumours Tidal may go belly up aren稚 helping.
    Rest assured I知 not going down the tapes route. Sorry Ron.

I'm late to this thread but had had some thoughts about a server recently. I'm actually quite happy with my Mac/Audirvana + NAS outputting to my Meitner DA2. I don't want to spend big bucks. I don't need a DAC integrated with the server so f I can get something with a good PS that can handle 2X DSD (ideally 4X DSD), eliminate the USB connection to my DAC, and take advantage of Roon, that would be a reasonable target to shoot for. I'm thinking the Lumin U1 could be attractive as I've seen them used for under 3K. BTW, I had a Auralic Aries for 24 hours and couldn't return it fast enough. It was a total disappointment. So, where's the love for Lumin?

Innuos Zenith, $3299.

http://innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-mk2-std

There's nothing wrong with USB, as long as it's properly implemented.
    Yes, the Aries is definitely not for you

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I'm late to this thread but had had some thoughts about a server recently. I'm actually quite happy with my Mac/Audirvana + NAS outputting to my Meitner DA2. I don't want to spend big bucks. I don't need a DAC integrated with the server so f I can get something with a good PS that can handle 2X DSD (ideally 4X DSD), eliminate the USB connection to my DAC, and take advantage of Roon, that would be a reasonable target to shoot for. I'm thinking the Lumin U1 could be attractive as I've seen them used for under 3K. BTW, I had a Auralic Aries for 24 hours and couldn't return it fast enough. It was a total disappointment. So, where's the love for Lumin?
    Marty, Our interests are very similar. I have a thread going below that tries to look at some usual suspects:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...a-DAC-Renderer

The Lunin is good stuff but IMO the U1 is better through it other connections to the DAC not ethernet. It has only one ethernet connection that I believe is designed to go to the network requiring a switch or modem connection to the DAC which many believe is a bad thing.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast