MM carts

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Didn’t see it mentioned here so I will add another I feel is worth considering; the Nagaoka MP-50 (though that model has been replaced with new and improved Nagaoka MP-500, I have no experience with it to know if it improves on the sound of the 50 or not).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I now have this Technics moving magnet cartridge on my table as well as a Colibrí GC “Elite” moving coil. They are both excellent. There is a rightness to the moving magnet with great balance and weight. The moving coil adds just a little bit more resolution and perhaps a bit of dynamics but it’s close. The price difference is significant.

1655324381995.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I went through a multi year Decca phase. Ended up with a Super Gold with a Paratrace stylus. It was heaven but finicky. Maybe a little bass shy, but I'm sure that was the arm match which is tricky. If you've got the patience, a Decca is pretty incredible for not a huge buy in.

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
I now have this Technics moving magnet cartridge on my table as well as a Colibrí GC “Elite” moving coil. They are both excellent. There is a rightness to the moving magnet with great balance and weight. The moving coil adds just a little bit more resolution and perhaps a bit of dynamics but it’s close. The price difference is significant.

View attachment 94570
That´s a really nice tracker when loaded with 283 pF and 15k Ohm :cool:
IMGP0210-Benutzerdefiniert.jpg
IMGP1752 (Benutzerdefiniert).JPG

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
There are quite a few vintage MM cartridges I would recommend someone to check out on eBay or HiFiDo or Japan Yahoo....
  • Empire 4000D/III Gold
  • Signet TK-7SU
  • Signet MR5.0Lc
  • Signet TK-7LCa
  • Shure V15/Type III
  • Acutex LPM420-STR
  • Garrott Brothers P77/SAS
  • Victor X-1IIE MM Cartridge
  • Victor Z1/SAS
All of these will give sound quality as fine as (or better IMO) than many of the uber-priced LOMC cartridges available today.
There are quite some more vintage MM and MI that are worth a look but all need appropriate loading in order to be operated with a linear frequency response

- Acutex M312 III STR -> 150 pF total capacity, 24k Ohm loading resistor

IMGP1757.jpg

- Grace F-8L 10´->145 pF total capacity, 21k Ohm loading resistor
IMGP1763.jpg

- SONY XL-45A -> 140 pF total capacity, 21,49k Ohm loading resistor
IMGP1768.jpg

- Audio Technica AT-155LC -> 100pF total capacity, 24,54k Ohm loading resistor
IMGP1772.jpg

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing