MM carts

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, who all have MM carts, especially next to MCs?

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Hi Bonzo,
I have between 30-40 MM cartridges and have had perhaps 20 MCs.....currently sitting at a dozen.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Hi Ked,

I had a phase a few years ago when I experimented quite a bit with MM cartridges, both vintage and modern ones. Liked what they did back then but finally decided that I much more prefer the way MCs sing and sold off all but one.

Still have an old Dual 721 with an Ortofon 2M Black in a secondary system. Out of all the MMs I had here over time for me that was by far the one I liked most, that's why I kept it. If you want I can bring the Dual into the main system and you can have a listen to it when you come over next weekend.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ked,

I had a phase a few years ago when I experimented quite a bit with MM cartridges, both vintage and modern ones. Liked what they did back then but finally decided that I much more prefer the way MCs sing and sold off all but one.

Still have an old Dual 721 with an Ortofon 2M Black in a secondary system. Out of all the MMs I had here over time for me that was by far the one I liked most, that's why I kept it. If you want I can bring the Dual into the main system and you can have a listen to it when you come over next weekend.

That would be great thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo,
I have between 30-40 MM cartridges and have had perhaps 20 MCs.....currently sitting at a dozen.

So What are your favorite MM carts you would recommend one to check out. Shane had recommended a technics one

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
So What are your favorite MM carts you would recommend one to check out. Shane had recommended a technics one
There are quite a few vintage MM cartridges I would recommend someone to check out on eBay or HiFiDo or Japan Yahoo....
  • Empire 4000D/III Gold
  • Signet TK-7SU
  • Signet MR5.0Lc
  • Signet TK-7LCa
  • Shure V15/Type III
  • Acutex LPM420-STR
  • Garrott Brothers P77/SAS
  • Victor X-1IIE MM Cartridge
  • Victor Z1/SAS
All of these will give sound quality as fine as (or better IMO) than many of the uber-priced LOMC cartridges available today.
Most of these cartridges are now scarce (in good condition) and will require patience, knowledge and luck to find.....
As a 'small-risk' recommendation to 'test' the validity of my claims, I generally recommend buying either a used (even without stylus)
  • Shure V15/III
  • Victor Z1
These are both plentiful and 'cheap'....
And ordering a new Jico Neo-SAS stylus directly from Jico.
In this way, one can have a new cutting-edge micro-line stylus on sapphire cantilever implanted in a generator/coil engine designed and fabricated in the 'Golden Age' of analogue for $400-$600 complete.....:cool:

Reactions: Gregm

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have listened to some of the experts on Audiogon (including Halcro) and purchased several MM carts:

-Signet TK-7SU
-Signet TL-7EA
-Shure V15/Type III with JICO SAS
-P77 SAS (Not Garrot unfortunately)

I've loved all of the carts but my current favorite is the Signet TK-7SU. It is easily as good as my Dynavector XV-1 if not better.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
The TK-7SU has a nude pressure-fitted Shibata diamond on a beryllium cantilever.
Do you think ANY current MC cartridge manufacturer has such sophisticated and technically advanced products...?
Well done Jeff :b

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
From what I've observed in other forums the discussion about MM vs. MC can for some reason become quite emotional. It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes... :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks guys this is good information

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
As a 'small-risk' recommendation to 'test' the validity of my claims, I generally recommend buying either a used (even without stylus)
  • Shure V15/III
  • Victor Z1
In this way, one can have a new cutting-edge micro-line stylus on sapphire cantilever implanted in a generator/coil engine designed and fabricated in the 'Golden Age' of analogue for $400-$600 complete.....:cool:
It might be worth mentioning though that Shure has a quite distinctive house sound that most people either love or hate, with not much middle ground in between. For me personally it was not something I wanted to live with.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
It might be worth mentioning though that Shure has a quite distinctive house sound that most people either love or hate
It's not just Shure....
The same can be said about most cartridge manufacturers.....Lyra would be one in particular.
Many say the same about SPUs and Koetsus.
Perhaps the largest manufacturer in the world, Audio Technica, has a distinctive aural 'finger-print' defining its cartridges across hundred of models over 60 years.
'Choice' is the operative word.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
From what I've observed in other forums the discussion about MM vs. MC can for some reason become quite emotional. It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes... :)

As long as someone doesn't talk about what cables to use with MM carts we should be ok......

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks guys this is good information

Bonzo,
I want to stress that I believe that every audiophile needs to find a Signet TK-7 series and try it out. I've had several friends to the listening room and all are quite amazed by the sound of my system with the TK-7SU. And...I paid $350 for it on eBay. $350!!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is there any point buying the signet without the screw driver?

hifitommy

alrighty then..........i do so prefer MC carts, especially as one ascends the scale in the ortofon line. i had a fave and still wouldn't mind one-Kontrapunkt b which has a ruby cantilever. for about double now as new prices are higher-Cadenza Black with boron (my favorite cantilever material) cantilever.

for now i will make do with my FR1 mkIII and later my new OC9II.

i would like to see a good guide for MMs regarding capacitance and how to arrive at the right one for a given cart. i still have and use a grace F9e, a shure V15Vxmr (NOT my favorite sound which is why i think capacitance could be the problem though many have been happy with an SAS stylus), an AT150 and a 170 stylus, plus a great sounding stanton 881s with a nos stylus that hasn't been mounted.

it is unlikely that i can wear out a stylus.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
The next time your up in Birmingham Ked bring your SPU with you and we can compare against my Goldring 1040 I’ve also got a Denon 103 MC

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
There are quite a few vintage MM cartridges I would recommend someone to check out on eBay or HiFiDo or Japan Yahoo....
  • Empire 4000D/III Gold
  • Signet TK-7SU
  • Signet MR5.0Lc
  • Signet TK-7LCa
  • Shure V15/Type III
  • Acutex LPM420-STR
  • Garrott Brothers P77/SAS
  • Victor X-1IIE MM Cartridge
  • Victor Z1/SAS
All of these will give sound quality as fine as (or better IMO) than many of the uber-priced LOMC cartridges available today.
Most of these cartridges are now scarce (in good condition) and will require patience, knowledge and luck to find.....
  • Shure V15/III
  • Victor Z1
Hey Halcro

i think we've spoken on another forum.

You are one of the more honest and less excitable contributors, so i thought i might post you here.

After long-last i got a VGC JVC QL10 with a ua 7045 arm just before coviD which i sent to my tech Wilkinsons in Lancashire. i eventually got it back in the last 2 months and am dicing on whether to get a new MM cartridge such as: Audio Note IO3; Garrott, or Cartridgeman, or getting a Vintage as per your list and a Jico Stylus.

A lot of people squawk about the Jico and LP gear styli - perhaps out of principle - what are your experiences with them?

i find re-tipping MC's a pain and love the idea of replacement styli

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Hey Halcro

i think we've spoken on another forum.

You are one of the more honest and less excitable contributors, so i thought i might post you here.

After long-last i got a VGC JVC QL10 with a ua 7045 arm just before coviD which i sent to my tech Wilkinsons in Lancashire. i eventually got it back in the last 2 months and am dicing on whether to get a new MM cartridge such as: Audio Note IO3; Garrott, or Cartridgeman, or getting a Vintage as per your list and a Jico Stylus.

A lot of people squawk about the Jico and LP gear styli - perhaps out of principle - what are your experiences with them?

i find re-tipping MC's a pain and love the idea of replacement styli
Hi Loheswaran,
Thanks for the kind words.... :)

Congrats on obtaining the Victor QL-10.....
You may know that I'm a keen 'Fanboy' of all things Victor and have the TT-101 and TT-81 myself.
Hopefully you have replaced the standard rubber mat with a fine leather, deerskin, calfskin or pigskin.
The 'unobtanium' Victor Pigskin is superb
748E7A16-4221-4E0A-8744-6E0539A47A0C_1_201_a.jpeg

My safest and most economical recommendation for anyone wishing to sample what great MMs from the 'Golden Age of Analogue' can bring....is to find a 'used' Victor Z1 body ($50 without a stylus)
By then buying a Z1 Jico SAS (Sapphire Cantilever) directly from Jico in Japan
You're good to go.....
D37798E7-C60E-464D-8C1E-325AD2842D9E_1_201_a.jpeg

Good luck.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing