Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM carts

Quote Originally Posted by Halcro View Post
    As a 'small-risk' recommendation to 'test' the validity of my claims, I generally recommend buying either a used (even without stylus)
    • Shure V15/III
    • Victor Z1

These are both plentiful and 'cheap'....
    And ordering a new Jico Neo-SAS stylus directly from Jico.
    In this way, one can have a new cutting-edge micro-line stylus on sapphire cantilever implanted in a generator/coil engine designed and fabricated in the 'Golden Age' of analogue for $400-$600 complete.....
    It might be worth mentioning though that Shure has a quite distinctive house sound that most people either love or hate, with not much middle ground in between. For me personally it was not something I wanted to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by jackelsson View Post
    It might be worth mentioning though that Shure has a quite distinctive house sound that most people either love or hate
    It's not just Shure....
    The same can be said about most cartridge manufacturers.....Lyra would be one in particular.
    Many say the same about SPUs and Koetsus.
    Perhaps the largest manufacturer in the world, Audio Technica, has a distinctive aural 'finger-print' defining its cartridges across hundred of models over 60 years.
    'Choice' is the operative word.
    Regards
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by jackelsson View Post
    From what I've observed in other forums the discussion about MM vs. MC can for some reason become quite emotional. It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes...
    As long as someone doesn't talk about what cables to use with MM carts we should be ok......
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Thanks guys this is good information
    Bonzo,
    I want to stress that I believe that every audiophile needs to find a Signet TK-7 series and try it out. I've had several friends to the listening room and all are quite amazed by the sound of my system with the TK-7SU. And...I paid $350 for it on eBay. $350!!!!
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Is there any point buying the signet without the screw driver?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

the far reaches of Canyon Country Califiornia, Shadow Pines.
    alrighty then..........i do so prefer MC carts, especially as one ascends the scale in the ortofon line. i had a fave and still wouldn't mind one-Kontrapunkt b which has a ruby cantilever. for about double now as new prices are higher-Cadenza Black with boron (my favorite cantilever material) cantilever.

for now i will make do with my FR1 mkIII and later my new OC9II.

i would like to see a good guide for MMs regarding capacitance and how to arrive at the right one for a given cart. i still have and use a grace F9e, a shure V15Vxmr (NOT my favorite sound which is why i think capacitance could be the problem though many have been happy with an SAS stylus), an AT150 and a 170 stylus, plus a great sounding stanton 881s with a nos stylus that hasn't been mounted.

it is unlikely that i can wear out a stylus.

The next time your up in Birmingham Ked bring your SPU with you and we can compare against my Goldring 1040 Iíve also got a Denon 103 MC
    Amplifier - Audio Note Empress Silver mono blocks, Hattor passive pre
    Digital - Mac Mini, Lampizator Atlantic Plus
    Analogue - Nottingham Analogue TT, Jelco 750D Denon Dl 103, EAR 834P Phono Stage c/w Vintage Telefunken valves.
    Speakers - Autotech Horns Mummys
    Cables - Western Electric Speaker cables and AudioNote AN-VX Interconnects and also Albedo

I've been curious about MM. Last one I owned was Grado back 30 years ago...

Some MM are getting pricey...any one heard the new Grado Epoch?

http://www.gradolabs.com/cartridges/epoch-cartridge
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12