Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM carts

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

MM carts

Hi, who all have MM carts, especially next to MCs?

Hi Bonzo,
    I have between 30-40 MM cartridges and have had perhaps 20 MCs.....currently sitting at a dozen.
    Regards
    Henry

Hi Ked,

I had a phase a few years ago when I experimented quite a bit with MM cartridges, both vintage and modern ones. Liked what they did back then but finally decided that I much more prefer the way MCs sing and sold off all but one.

Still have an old Dual 721 with an Ortofon 2M Black in a secondary system. Out of all the MMs I had here over time for me that was by far the one I liked most, that's why I kept it. If you want I can bring the Dual into the main system and you can have a listen to it when you come over next weekend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jackelsson View Post
    Hi Ked,

I had a phase a few years ago when I experimented quite a bit with MM cartridges, both vintage and modern ones. Liked what they did back then but finally decided that I much more prefer the way MCs sing and sold off all but one.

Still have an old Dual 721 with an Ortofon 2M Black in a secondary system. Out of all the MMs I had here over time for me that was by far the one I liked most, that's why I kept it. If you want I can bring the Dual into the main system and you can have a listen to it when you come over next weekend.
    That would be great thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halcro View Post
    Hi Bonzo,
    I have between 30-40 MM cartridges and have had perhaps 20 MCs.....currently sitting at a dozen.
    So What are your favorite MM carts you would recommend one to check out. Shane had recommended a technics one

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    So What are your favorite MM carts you would recommend one to check out. Shane had recommended a technics one
    There are quite a few vintage MM cartridges I would recommend someone to check out on eBay or HiFiDo or Japan Yahoo....
    • Empire 4000D/III Gold
    • Signet TK-7SU
    • Signet MR5.0Lc
    • Signet TK-7LCa
    • Shure V15/Type III
    • Acutex LPM420-STR
    • Garrott Brothers P77/SAS
    • Victor X-1IIE MM Cartridge
    • Victor Z1/SAS

All of these will give sound quality as fine as (or better IMO) than many of the uber-priced LOMC cartridges available today.
    Most of these cartridges are now scarce (in good condition) and will require patience, knowledge and luck to find.....
    As a 'small-risk' recommendation to 'test' the validity of my claims, I generally recommend buying either a used (even without stylus)
    • Shure V15/III
    • Victor Z1

These are both plentiful and 'cheap'....
    And ordering a new Jico Neo-SAS stylus directly from Jico.
    In this way, one can have a new cutting-edge micro-line stylus on sapphire cantilever implanted in a generator/coil engine designed and fabricated in the 'Golden Age' of analogue for $400-$600 complete.....
    Regards
    Henry

I have listened to some of the experts on Audiogon (including Halcro) and purchased several MM carts:

-Signet TK-7SU
    -Signet TL-7EA
    -Shure V15/Type III with JICO SAS
    -P77 SAS (Not Garrot unfortunately)

I've loved all of the carts but my current favorite is the Signet TK-7SU. It is easily as good as my Dynavector XV-1 if not better.
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

The TK-7SU has a nude pressure-fitted Shibata diamond on a beryllium cantilever.
    Do you think ANY current MC cartridge manufacturer has such sophisticated and technically advanced products...?
    Well done Jeff
    Regards
    Henry

From what I've observed in other forums the discussion about MM vs. MC can for some reason become quite emotional. It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes...

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys this is good information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast