Totaldac Twelve

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread about the Totaldac Twelve because I believe it is currently one of the top two or top three DACs.

I have been looking for a new DAC for several years, and twice at the Munich High End (2015 and 2017) the two DACs that I liked the best were the Totaldac Twelve and the MSB Select II. Since it was not possible to try both, and compare, in my system, and understanding the limitations of audiophile shows, I talked with audiophiles who heard both or even compared, and I also tried to listen to them in properly treated rooms.

I was not able to hear the MSB Select II in a properly treated room with full range speakers, so I don't have a definitive view about it. What I can say is that it is certainly an outstanding DAC based on what I heard at the Munich High End shows, and I congratulate everyone who owns one. Anyway, it already has long threads such as the ones started by Mike and Blizzard.

I was, however, able to hear the Totaldac Twelve at a properly treated audiophile home in Texas, whose owner was kind enough to let me hear his outstanding system. It was the first time I heard a digital system that sounded like top of the line analog. It also sounded substantially better than it did at the several rooms at the Munich High End (2015 and 2017).

I wonder how many owners of Totaldac Twelve, and Totaldac Twelve SE, are out there, what are the other components of their systems, and tweaks they use.

Cheers,

VPN

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I am likely one of the most different system wise on here, but I do have the 4 box full system Twelve from Vincent. To put it plainly, this is the most capable digital source I have ever heard. It provides massive amounts of resolution, while remaining natural all the while. No fatigue whatsoever, but never ever boring.

With a source like this, there is no need to get into how well it does this or that. It does it. You hear what is on the recording, plain and simple, with no artifacts caused by the digital system. It is convincing in a convincing system, and it is never confused.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Paul

What DACs did you compare your Twelfe to?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread about the Totaldac Twelve because I believe it is currently one of the top two or top three DACs.

I have been looking for a new DAC for several years, and twice at the Munich High End (2015 and 2017) the two DACs that I liked the best were the Totaldac Twelve and the MSB Select II. Since it was not possible to try both, and compare, in my system, and understanding the limitations of audiophile shows, I talked with audiophiles who heard both or even compared, and I also tried to listen to them in properly treated rooms.

I was not able to hear the MSB Select II in a properly treated room with full range speakers, so I don't have a definitive view about it. What I can say is that it is certainly an outstanding DAC based on what I heard at the Munich High End shows, and I congratulate everyone who owns one. Anyway, it already has long threads such as the ones started by Mike and Blizzard.

I was, however, able to hear the Totaldac Twelve at a properly treated audiophile home in Texas, whose owner was kind enough to let me hear his outstanding system. It was the first time I heard a digital system that sounded like top of the line analog. It also sounded substantially better than it did at the several rooms at the Munich High End (2015 and 2017).

I wonder how many owners of Totaldac Twelve, and Totaldac Twelve SE, are out there, what are the other components of their systems, and tweaks they use.

Cheers,

VPN

hello VPN,

not sure where you are located......but......

if you have an interest in hearing an MSB Select II in a mature system with vinyl and tape to compare you are most welcome to visit me in the Seattle area at a time of mutual agreement.

it's pretty awesome sounding!!!

best regards,

Mike

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
hello VPN,

not sure where you are located......but......

if you have an interest in hearing an MSB Select II in a mature system with vinyl and tape to compare you are most welcome to visit me in the Seattle area at a time of mutual agreement.

it's pretty awesome sounding!!!

best regards,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your invitation, which I gladly accept. I look forward to meeting you and hearing your great system/room.
I live in Brazil, but go to the USA every year, so next time I will send you a message to see if we can set a day/time.
Cheers,

VPN

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
I am likely one of the most different system wise on here, but I do have the 4 box full system Twelve from Vincent. To put it plainly, this is the most capable digital source I have ever heard. It provides massive amounts of resolution, while remaining natural all the while. No fatigue whatsoever, but never ever boring.

With a source like this, there is no need to get into how well it does this or that. It does it. You hear what is on the recording, plain and simple, with no artifacts caused by the digital system. It is convincing in a convincing system, and it is never confused.

Hello Paul79,

I see in your profile "About":
Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective
Amps: NOS Valves VRD Mono's (resistor/cap upgrades, full point to point, and Duelund Cast Coupling caps)
Digital Rig: Totaldac Monobloc's with Totaldac Server/Reclocker full DSD ready
Hynes Supplies running NAS and Router
Power Cables: WyWires Silver Juice II
All other cables are Antipodes Reference and Antipodes Kokiri AES/EBU

Congrats on your great system! Happy to see another Duelund customer.

I suppose you upgraded from Totaldac Monos to Totaldac Twelve, was it a big difference? In which aspects?

Which NAS do you use with the Totaldac Twelve? Which USB cable do you use in the sever?

Do you use Roon? or MPD? Ipeng? or something else? Did you compare to hear which sounds best?

Cheers,

VPN

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Allot of good questions there.. I need to revise my system list, as allot of it has changed.
Edit: System updated.

I have had allot of DAC's through here, and I really would rather not get into that too much. Just to sum it up, even the best of the other DAC's I have had through here, most of them have their own take on really good digital. The Twelve is really good playback, and it sounds very analog to me in the spooky sense. Most DAC's are not spooky good. There is the difference. Neither bad, I just have my ideals of how music played back should sound for me. The Twelve is very transparent. Music in music, and you can hear all of it in a fast system.

I use a SSD Loaded Qnap HS-251+ and a router, all fed with linear power supplies. I use the Totaldac USB Cable/Filter. I run MPD. It has more magic in the mids than anything else, even ROON, on my system.

From Monobloc to Twelve is more Ladder DAC's, no active output stage. Wide open. Lower noise floor. Twelve needs a REALLY good preamp after it to realize what Twelve is capable of. My system will never be without a good preamp on any DAC btw. They are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle IMO.

The Twelve SE is more for those that want to use the Totaldac as a preamp or want more drive to their music. Think "plugged in" vs. the "unplugged" aspect of the Twelve. Twelve is Closer, more intimate, more real, more scale. More more more is the trend :) Just open and very clear.

Last edited:

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Allot of good questions there.. I need to revise my system list, as allot of it has changed. The speakers, back to solid state, more tuning and such.

I have had allot of DAC's through here, and I really would rather not get into that too much. Just to sum it up, even the best of the other DAC's I have had through here, most of them have their own take on really good digital. The Twelve is really good playback, and it sounds very analog to me in the spooky sense. Most DAC's are not spooky good. There is the difference. Neither bad, I just have my ideals of how music played back should sound for me. The Twelve is very transparent. Music in music, and you can hear all of it in a fast system.

I use a SSD Loaded Qnap HS-251+ and a router, all fed with linear power supplies. I use the Totaldac USB Cable/Filter. I run MPD. It has more magic in the mids than anything else, even ROON, on my system.

From Monobloc to Twelve is more Ladder DAC's, no active output stage. Wide open. Lower noise floor. Twelve needs a REALLY good preamp after it to realize what Twelve is capable of. My system will never be without a good preamp on any DAC btw. They are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle IMO.

The Twelve SE is more for those that want to use the Totaldac as a preamp or want more drive to their music. Think "plugged in" vs. the "unplugged" aspect of the Twelve. Closer, more intimate, more real, more scale. More more more is the trend :) Just open and very clear.

Hello Paul79,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Really good info!
Cheers,

VPN

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello,
VPN

Hello VPN,
Yes, Totaldac Twelve is among the 3 DACs I like most too.
And I prefer not to switch on the optional output stages (ie SE version).

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Does anyone who owns a Totaldac Twelve SE prefer using it with the output stage engaged?

I understant that it is good to have the option of running it with or without the output stage, to hear what sounds best given a system and the owner's musical preferences, but wonder if anyone actually prefers the sound with the output stage engaged.

Last edited:

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
A fellow compadre in Mexico prefers the SE output in his system. Vincent says it is also very good and prefers to listen to it in some systems. I tend to believe what Vincent says. He has always been right and trustworthy in his recommendations to me.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
A fellow compadre in Mexico prefers the SE output in his system. Vincent says it is also very good and prefers to listen to it in some systems. I tend to believe what Vincent says. He has always been right and trustworthy in his recommendations to me.

Interesting. Good info.
Vincent is certainly a great guy. Very straightforward.
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing