FS: VTL 7.5 Series III preamp - with extra tubes!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi!

We've got this great preamp in consignment. This one hardly ever shows up!
Truly immaculate condition, like new.
Retail is $25,000, we're asking just $13,900!
See pics, and contact us for more information.

thanks,
Alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1558.jpg IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1560.jpg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1562.jpg IMG_1563.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If I may, I'd like to make one or two comments about the remarkable VTL 7.5 III. I have posted some system notes previously about this pre-amp, but in a system that is a very different one from my current configuration which no longer uses DSP and uses Alexandria IIs rather than Pipedreams in addition to a pair of JL Gotham subs. To begin, it's interesting to note that Dave Wilson uses the 7.5III in his WAMM Chronosonic system, and has used the 7.5III for several years in many of his modern XLF and Alexx system demos as well as his personal system at home.. There are several good reasons for this, not the least of which is it is a flat out masterpiece of a pre-amp sonically. Dave uses two main amps in his Chronosonic demos; a tube VTL Siegfried and D'Agostino Momentum monoblocs depending on the flavor he seeks. What the 7.5 III allows anyone to do then, is the tailor the system sound by rolling the only two front end tubes in the 7.5III which are two 12 AU7s. Having used the Siggies previously, my tube preference for that combo was NOS Teles. However, now that I use the Spectral 400 monoblocs (yes, I know I'm not supposed to use anything other than a Spectral preamp but I've written about this extensively before so let's just move on). With the Spectral amps, my tube preference for the 7.5III are 1957-58 Mullard long plates (CV491 actually) with the "D getters. I have not found a more musical tube, and believe me, I've tried many. Of course, YMMV. I find it interesting that no matter what Dave Wilson is running for his amps, his preamp always remains the venerable 7.5 III. That ought to tell you something. Aside from a superb tube front end, its solid state low impedance output stage will drive the crap out of anything in a way that other tube preamps can only dream about. It really is a hell of a reference caliber pre-amp.

What is less well known is that there have been some quiet rolling line changes in the 7.5 III over the years. I suggest that if you are considering purchasing a 7.5III, you should get the serial number and speak to Bea Lam directly. Mine was updated in July and the improvement was quite noteworthy and beneficial. What I like about Bea and Luke is that they will generally update any of their units for a modest fee so purchasing a 7.5 III assures that you can maintain long term value with future iterations. That's the kind of service that results in customer loyalty, which IMHO, is very well deserved indeed.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, marty.

Unfortunately we never had the time to properly listen to the 7.5 at length in our reference system. But I've heard it a few times before, at friend's homes, and it always did wonders for soundstaging. It is a perfect "tube" flavoring for beefy SS amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If I may, I'd like to make one or two comments about the remarkable VTL 7.5 III. I have posted some system notes previously about this pre-amp, but in a system that is a very different one from my current configuration which no longer uses DSP and uses Alexandria IIs rather than Pipedreams in addition to a pair of JL Gotham subs. To begin, it's interesting to note that Dave Wilson uses the 7.5III in his WAMM Chronosonic system, and has used the 7.5III for several years in many of his modern XLF and Alexx system demos as well as his personal system at home.. There are several good reasons for this, not the least of which is it is a flat out masterpiece of pre-amp sonically. Dave uses two main amps in his Chronosonic demos; a tube VTL Siegfried and D'Agostino Momentum monoblocs depending on the flavor he seeks. What the 7.5 III allows anyone to do then, is the tailor the system sound by rolling the only two front end tubes in the 7.5III which are two 12 AU7s. Having used the Siggies previously, my tube preference for that combo was NOS Teles. However, now that I use the Spectral 400 monoblocs (yes, I know I'm not supposed to use anything other than a Spectral preamp but I've written about this extensively before so let's just move on). With the Spectral amps, my tube preference for the 7.5III are 1957-58 Mullard long plates (CV491 actually) with the "D getters. I have not found a more musical tube, and believe me, I've tried many. Of course, YMMV. I find it interesting that no matter what Dave Wilson is running for his amps, his preamp always remains the venerable 7.5 III. That ought to tell you something. Aside from a superb tube front end, its solid state low impedance output stage will drive the crap out of anything in a way that other tube preamps can only dream about. It really is a hell of a reference caliber pre-amp.

What is less well known is that there have been some quiet rolling line changes in the 7.5 III over the years. I suggest that if you are considering purchasing a 7.5III, you should get the serial number and speak to Bea Lam directly. Mine was updated in July and the improvement was quite noteworthy and beneficial. What I like about Bea and Luke is that they will generally update any of their units for a modest fee so purchasing a 7.5 III assures that you can maintain long term value with future iterations. That's the kind of service that results in customer loyalty, which IMHO, is very well deserved indeed.

Great post...have read many of Roy Gregory's comments and also spoken off line with him about 7.5III and CJ GAT and GAT 2. He equally has an extremely strong admiration for the 7.5III. Also interesting about the Mullards...while the GAT 2 settles in after its recent upgrade I have ordered Mullard 1960s from Brent Jessee while a fellow owner has ordered Amperex from Brent...we intend to compare notes. Will be interesting to hear how they sound. Perhaps just different from stock Philips, but hopefully even better.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Great post...have read many of Roy Gregory's comments and also spoken off line with him about 7.5III and CJ GAT and GAT 2. He equally has an extremely strong admiration for the 7.5III. Also interesting about the Mullards...while the GAT 2 settles in after its recent upgrade I have ordered Mullard 1960s from Brent Jessee while a fellow owner has ordered Amperex from Brent...we intend to compare notes. Will be interesting to hear how they sound. Perhaps just different from stock Philips, but hopefully even better.

Ah, but keep in mind that the VTL uses a 12AU7 whereas the CJ GAT uses a 6922. They are hardly comparable in that a long plate Mullard 12AU7 does not assure that there is a "similar character" sound with a Mullard 6922. Actually, Myles is currently using a Phillips PCC88 in his GAT. This is otherwise known as a 7DJ8. I am not familiar with this tube but Myles tells me it is not a necessarily a drop in replacement for a 6DJ8.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ah, but keep in mind that the VTL uses a 12AU7 whereas the CJ GAT uses a 6922. They are hardly comparable in that a long plate Mullard 12AU7 does not assure that there is a "similar character" sound with a Mullard 6922. Actually, Myles is currently using a Phillips PCC88 in his GAT. This is otherwise known as a 7DJ8. I am not familiar with this tube but Myles tells me it is not a necessarily a drop in replacement for a 6DJ8.

Hi Marty, yes, that is correct...I also have the stock Philips PCC88 (7DJ8) in my GAT 2...and I have decided to try Mullard 7DJ8s from Brent Jessee to see what happens. As for the character of the Mullard 7DJ8, I totally hear you...and i ordered only after discussing with Brent and getting his advice on it. The other option was the Amperex/Philips NOS PCC88 which another CJ GAT 2 owner has also ordered from him.

We shall see! (I have used Mullard 6922s in the GAT 1 for many years and been very happy...so it will be interesting to hear Mullard 7DJ8s in the GAT 2...stay tuned!)

BTW, the original GAT 1 used 6922s...but the updated GAT 2 uses 7DJ8 which takes 7.3V vs the 6V of the 6922...Myles also has upgraded to CJ GAT 2, hence why he also uses the stock Philips 7DJ8.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I find it interesting that no matter what Dave Wilson is running for his amps, his preamp always remains the venerable 7.5 III. That ought to tell you something. Aside from a superb tube front end, its solid state low impedance output stage will drive the crap out of anything in a way that other tube preamps can only dream about. (...)

Dave Wilson has a strong sense of humor that would disappoint 7.5 III owners. When asked by an acquaintance who was there listening to the WAMMs why he had a VTL 7.5 III in his room he answered that it was mainly because the preamplifier had very large display numbers and he appreciated knowing the volume setting from far away ...

I only had experience with the VTL 7.5 II and it was an excellent sounding preamplfier. Unexpectedly it was a great match for the conrad johnson solid state premier 350.

This particular VTL 7.5 Series III preamp at such nice price would probably sell the same day in Europe!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
( ...) BTW, the original GAT 1 used 6922s...but the updated GAT 2 uses 7DJ8 which takes 7.3V vs the 6V of the 6922...Myles also has upgraded to CJ GAT 2, hence why he also uses the stock Philips 7DJ8.

Lloyd,

The 7DJ8 (PCC88) takes 7V versus 6.3V of the 6922 (ECC88). The filament supply of my GAT is 6.4V I am using the Philips PCC88 in the GAT.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This particular VTL 7.5 Series III preamp at such nice price would probably sell the same day in Europe!

Well, I don't mind shipping to Europe, and perhaps VTL can take care of the voltage conversion? :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, I don't mind shipping to Europe, and perhaps VTL can take care of the voltage conversion? :)

Unfortunately taxes and a lot of paperwork make it a much less interesting deal ...

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hmmm, I still wonder how it will compare to my Pass XP20. I may need to pickup the phone for another chat on this :).

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Jimmy!

I remember we talked about this preamp a while ago! You're welcome to give me another call :)

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing