Aqua Formula - new upgrade, retrofittable!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Why GG2...when you have GG1 used so much cheaper and it will destroy the L4. Better buy a used GG1 with new Superamanero usb extra and spend the saved money on RK kron tubes.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, since this thread is about the Aqua Formula... What are you using for transport? XLR or RCA?

thanks,
Alex

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Well, since this thread is about the Aqua Formula... What are you using for transport? XLR or RCA?

thanks,
Alex
I am using Antipodes DX Gen2. I have tried both RCA (KS Elation) and XLR (Soundcable, local brand).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, give it another week or so... If you still want to go with the Lampistuff, I have a Lite 7 for sale :)

cheers,
alex

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I really enjoyed the sound of Formula till I put my Lampi back... Now I am at a complete loss, as I no longer hear the difference, that I think I heard before. Maybe I imagined it:( Maybe it’s a burn in issue.
Anyway, I will give the Formula another couple of days but I doubt that there will be any dramatic changes.

Hi, did you come to a conclusion about the Formula?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi, did you come to a conclusion about the Formula?
Hi, not yet. One of my Takatsuki tubes failed and blew off some resistor and fuses in the right channel of my amplifier. So I was without music for the last several days. Now it's been repaired, and I am burning in a new pair of the Takatsuki's.
So I have 4 days to make a final decision including this weekend. The Formula got somewhat better, so I think it needs around 300 hours to be fully burned in.
I can get a GG2 at a very attractive price, so now I am torn between Aqua and Lampi ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What Tak are you using, 300b in the Lampi?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi, not yet. One of my Takatsuki tubes failed and blew off some resistor and fuses in the right channel of my amplifier. So I was without music for the last several days. Now it's been repaired, and I am burning in a new pair of the Takatsuki's.
So I have 4 days to make a final decision including this weekend. The Formula got somewhat better, so I think it needs around 300 hours to be fully burned in.
I can get a GG2 at a very attractive price, so now I am torn between Aqua and Lampi ;)

If you are having a hard time between a L4 and the Formula, then be prepared to have your sox knocked off by a GG2.

Run, dont walk, and take that knoocked down offer!!! It will be unbeatable at DSD as well. Ked can advise you on optimal DHTs for the GG2. It will be KR242 (if they work), EML mesh 2a3, KR Px25, KR T100, KR 300b (RK edition). Wash that all down with the new RK 5u4g rectifier!

Run, I say! LoL

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Well, this is a very bold statement... Unfortunately, there are zero people on this forum, who have heard both.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Well, this is a very bold statement... Unfortunately, there are zero people on this forum, who have heard both.

well, I did have the GG1 with the Tak recti and KR242's and all those upgrades for optimal GG1, and in my system i preferred the original Aqua Formula dac; both with the SGM server. the GG1 was formidable none the less and I highly recommend it if DHT and tubes floats your boat.

but I've not heard a GG2.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

shame about your tube failure. I have the GG upgraded R2R, super clocks etc it does sound very good with 242s. Probably suit you as you know Lampi sound already.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Huh?

You yourself said you were having a hard time to choose between your L4 and the Formula. My statement was based off that. Please reread my statement. I know the GG and L4 well. I barely know the Formula. Based on your particular conundrum, I was showing you the most viable path I see. However, you will have to decide for yourself.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Huh?

You yourself said you were having a hard time to choose between your L4 and the Formula. My statement was based off that. Please reread my statement. I know the GG and L4 well. I barely know the Formula. Based on your particular conundrum, I was showing you the most viable path I see. However, you will have to decide for yourself.
You may be right. But, having just read the review of Pacific in the 6 Moons magazine, I wonder if the difference between Aqua and GG2 is similar to the difference, that the reviewer found between the Pacific and his GG.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Anyone read the Aqua Formula XHD review in June Stereophile.
I read on AA the measurements weren’t particularly impressive.
Was it perhaps faulty?

I’m sure they’ll post the review online in the next week but just curious if Aqua replied to explain.

Cheers
Blue58

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Was it perhaps faulty?

I’m sure they’ll post the review online in the next week but just curious if Aqua replied to explain.

Cheers
Blue58
I just checked the June Stereophile and there is no response to the review in the Manufacturers' Comments section.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks Bill,
An owner on CA says “Stereophile has a very bizarre review of this DAC this month.
I do not recognize my DAC in that description.”
Will wait for the online review to appear.
Cheers

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Was it perhaps faulty?

Cheers
Blue58
@Blue58 - The referenced Stereophile review has just been posted online and it includes the measurements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing