Vtl 750

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Anyone ever compare the 750 to the S400 or the Siegfried?

I have friends that have compared, the general consensus is the 750 is the best sounding with new design Siegfried in second place and S400 last. I have not made the comparison myself, just quoting trustworthy (reviewers) as my sources since you ask.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
I should have included, these same users claim the Wotan 1250 is the ultimate VTL (perhaps the ultimate amp of all time) and at 1250 watts and over 245 pounds each, they should be.

Since my system requires four mono blocks to operate I dismissed thoughts of the Wotan. Ninety six - 6550 output tubes is overwhelming to even think about.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I should have included, these same users claim the Wotan 1250 is the ultimate VTL (perhaps the ultimate amp of all time) and at 1250 watts and over 245 pounds each, they should be.

Since my system requires four mono blocks to operate I dismissed thoughts of the Wotan. Ninety six - 6550 output tubes is overwhelming to even think about.

Your room could feel like summer in Tx all year around Albert. What's wrong with that? :)

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Your room could feel like summer in Tx all year around Albert. What's wrong with that? :)

Ahh summer in December :^).

Then again, I guess four Wotan could easily displace my fireplace during the cold months. Problem is, purchasing ninety six 6550 Wing C tubes plus a few spares would require a home equity loan.

I can see the puzzled look on the loan officers face showing images of the amps and all the boxes of spare tubes and telling him this is why I need the money.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
ahh summer in december :^).

Then again, i guess four wotan could easily displace my fireplace during the cold months. Problem is, purchasing ninety six 6550 wing c tubes plus a few spares would require a home equity loan.

I can see the puzzled look on the loan officers face showing images of the amps and all the boxes of spare tubes and telling him this is why i need the money.

lmaol.....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The 750s are terrific amps. I used them with both big Genesis ribbons and with the big Krell Lat's.
The 750s are really the only gear I've ever sold that I routinely wish I'd kept.

Brucemk2, I also own a pair of 750s - thanks Albert for your encouragement in the process of buying them!
What were the LAT Krells you tried with the 750s? I tried them with the LAT1000's, but could never tame the excessive bass and boominess.

I am now using an ARC Anniversary with the MB750s - it controls the bass in a much better way than the REF3 I used at that time. After burn in is finished (~600 hours) I will report on the pairing, but I have now heard bass with a degree of slam from the Soundlab A1 Pxs that I never thought it would be possible.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Brucemk2, I also own a pair of 750s - thanks Albert for your encouragement in the process of buying them!
What were the LAT Krells you tried with the 750s? I tried them with the LAT1000's, but could never tame the excessive bass and boominess.

I am now using an ARC Anniversary with the MB750s - it controls the bass in a much better way than the REF3 I used at that time. After burn in is finished (~600 hours) I will report on the pairing, but I have now heard bass with a degree of slam from the Sound-Lab A1 Pxs that I never thought it would be possible.

The VTL 750 is what brought my Sound-Labs into the realm of perfection. The sound with that combination was surpassed only (in the midrange) by the Tube Research GT400 which cost more and proved to be totally unreliable long term.

The bass with VTL 750 is beyond compare, it saved me from selling my Dali Megalines which were disappointing until the right combination of amps and crossover was found.

Microstrip, what input and output tubes have you chosen for the VTL and are you satisfied with what they provide?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Albert, I am using Winged "C" (SED) 6550C and either Mullard or Telefunken 12AT7 input tubes. The Mullard has a fuller sound, the Telefunken is more detailed and perhaps has better bass. I also own some old Siemens ECC81, but still did not have the time to evaluate them.
My choice of input tubes depends on the remaining gear I am using. I am now burning in a complete set o Kimber KS3038 / KS1136 cables and an Audio Research Anniversary preamplifier - after that I will have to re-evaluate the input tubes.

High power tube ampliifers (VTL MB750s inclusive) are very sensitive to mains variations. The tube filament supply is not regulated and the filament temperature affects cathode emitting. Happily I live 50 meter from the local power cabin and mains is very stable.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Your tube choice is identical to mine, the only variation is I also have old Amperex (1960s) that are wonderfully dynamic and not as warm as the Mullard.

My power is pretty stable too, I have small variations from mid day to evening but not a problem. Your description sounds ideal being that close to power feed, should be clean too at that short distance.

I don't know if you've experimented with footers yet but the 750 is amazingly sensitive to isolation devices.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A long time ago I had the pleasure of hearing 4 Wotans driving the Grand Utopia at a Stereophile show in NYC. A sublime experience.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Krell Lat 2's, with and without a single Master Reference Sub. Preamp was a Ref2 Mk2, and, less frequently a Tact TCS and a Meridian 861.

The Lat 2's do some things extremely well -- particularly "horn-like dynamics" and "details galore." However, they never took on the liquidity steeped magic that my former Genesis 350SEs, or my formerly beloved Koestsu Rosewood Signature, had in spades, so they're now gone.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The VTL 750 is what brought my Sound-Labs into the realm of perfection. The sound with that combination was surpassed only (in the midrange) by the Tube Research GT400 which cost more and proved to be totally unreliable long term.

The bass with VTL 750 is beyond compare...

Albert and Microstrip,

How thunderous is the bass with the VTL? A common complaint about electrostats is a lack of bass speed and impact - even with the largest panel. Does the 750 deliver the "weight and slam" with the Soundlabs? Does it eliminate the thoughts of a sub-woofer?

Do you guys have any thoughts on what would make a bigger difference - upgrading the A1 to px panels or going with a VTL 750 on the A1? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010

Albert,

How does the VTL compare to Atma-sphere in the midrange? People say the older VTL models are a bit dark, as are the Soundlabs.

Also, have you ever tried CAT or VAC on the Soundlabs? A NY Convergent dealer claims CAT can actually drive a more difficult load better than the VTL despite the power ratings. (He is a dealer, of course, but he carries both lines and both amps are priced similarly.) Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Albert and Microstrip,

How thunderous is the bass with the VTL? A common complaint about electrostats is a lack of bass speed and impact - even with the largest panel. Does the 750 deliver the "weight and slam" with the Soundlabs? Does it eliminate the thoughts of a sub-woofer?

Do you guys have any thoughts on what would make a bigger difference - upgrading the A1 to px panels or going with a VTL 750 on the A1? Thanks

The Sound Labs have slam but they do not have the weight of the best conventional speaker boxes at very loud sound levels. They move plenty of air with power, but they do not have the weight of an Alexandria. As they are very fast and have large area they energize the whole room and you feel the bass energy in the room. It is not comparable to the bass from boxes. The VTLs help a lot - some other amplifiers known to very good bass with other speakers sound anemic with the Sound Labs.

PX panels have more impact than non PX - bass is faster (ok, bass is always slow, but I think you understand what I mean) as is was less delayed panel resonances. Bass quality in my room is better with the Sound Labs than with the Maxx 2s, e.g. I hear with much more detail how a percussionist is hitting the drums.

Curiously my recent change to the Audio Research Anniversary added much more impact and slam to my system than the change to PX panels!

Disclaimer : I do not like or listen to electronic music with plenty of synthesized bass frequencies.
Do not expect to hear Pink Floyd "The Wall " at first row concert levels with Sound Labs

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's a great album and played R2R you'll want to be in the first row with the volume up
Steve, I know it and I enjoy the LP album. But with Sound Labs I can only listen at the middle of the stadium, but can hear any whisper on the stage.

Changing the subject , although less spectacular than The Wall, the quality of the recording of the Final Cut is also fabulous. As it uses sound effects from other albums it is fantastic to find them diluted when listening to it.

BTW, can you tell us how you got a tape of the The Wall?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing