The Breville Smart Toaster!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Over the past few years, my family has spent time with several of the most highly rated toasters, but each one has been a disappointment in one way or another.

Some claim to have slots wide enough for bagels. They do, but only if you pre-condition your bagel with a rolling pin. Otherwise, you're stuck. Literally.

Some claim to be durable. Gotta hand it to them -- they look really durable. Hint: the flimsy parts are hiding. You become acquainted with them when you inevitably take the toaster apart to fix it.

But, the main thing here is toast. Seems like it should be easy to get great toast, but it isn't. The landscape of crunchy bread is littered with potholes and land mines.

After a sampling from the Breville Smart Toaster, I now realize we've long been cheated of the simple but profound pleasure of correctly browned bread, bagels, hamburger buns, etc. We've eaten a lot of counterfeit toast.

Correctly toasted bread has a texture, density, and -- lest we forget -- flavor -- that is addictive. We want it. We want that calculated crunch and -- yes -- that flavor.

The Breville stands alone in a field of high end toasters, able to satisfy that yearning. Yes, you are helped on your quest by slots wide enough for breads of all kinds, the mechanism that keeps your bread centered, the "bagel" "a bit more" "lift and look" and "defrost" features, but those features wouldn't be worth a crumb if the Smart Toaster couldn't deliver on its promise of great toast.

But, the Breville truly does.

I'm not kidding.

Do not settle for mediocre toast.

This is the one.

Treat your family.

Buy this toaster.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We also own that toaster. Works very well indeed. The light bar countdown shows you how much time is left from across the room, and the audible beep signals the end of cycle so you don't go back to find cold toast.

Lee

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I love the taste of toast from the Breville and I love it that the slots are big enough for bagels and hamburger buns. Plus, it has the defrost and bagel setting. My kids love to eat bagels for breakfast, but they go in streaks. This way, we can keep some in the freezer, they can defrost then toast 'em in the Breville -- beauty.

Plus, I love the bagel setting because it toasts only one side of the bagel while warming the other. Most toasters can only toast both sides. If you have an onion bagel, the cut side gets toasted, but on the other side, the onions get burned up. I also use the bagel setting for hamburger buns.

I know it sounds funny getting so revved about a toaster, but it is surprising how much you use the darn thing and how much pleasure you get out of it.

And we really have been through several toasters that were all supposed to be the best of the best and all of them flopped.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I love the taste of toast from the Breville and I love it that the slots are big enough for bagels and hamburger buns. Plus, it has the defrost and bagel setting. My kids love to eat bagels for breakfast, but they go in streaks. This way, we can keep some in the freezer, they can defrost then toast 'em in the Breville -- beauty.

Plus, I love the bagel setting because it toasts only one side of the bagel while warming the other. Most toasters can only toast both sides. If you have an onion bagel, the cut side gets toasted, but on the other side, the onions get burned up. I also use the bagel setting for hamburger buns.

I know it sounds funny getting so revved about a toaster, but it is surprising how much you use the darn thing and how much pleasure you get out of it.

And we really have been through several toasters that were all supposed to be the best of the best and all of them flopped.

curious as to its MSRP

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Does it have a detachable power cord? Can you imagine how it would toast bread with a Shunyata King Cobra CX?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm sure that is a nice toaster, but any electric toaster dries out the bread.

If you butter some bread and place it in a preheated cast iron skillet it will grill up. You can even turn it over and brown the other side with or without adding more butter.

If you are in the mood for garlic toast, just add crushed garlic to the butter.

NOTE: Honey or parmesan cheese added to the butter does not work very well.

EDIT: the pan does bagels and baggetts too.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The toast tastes even better if you run the toaster through a power conditioner. You know those pesky little dark-toasted spots on your toast? The PC evens out the electricity so that your toast is more evenly browned. Never mind that the PC costs 10X what the toaster does.

I won't even get into the power supply upgrades we've done on our Breville Icon blender......

Lee

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The toast tastes even better if you run the toaster through a power conditioner. You know those pesky little dark-toasted spots on your toast? The PC evens out the electricity so that your toast is more evenly browned. Never mind that the PC costs 10X what the toaster does.

I won't even get into the power suppoly upgrades we've done on our Breville Icon blender......

Lee

What -- no Shakti Stone?!!

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

Mark

Mar 17, 2012
I agree. I also have the Breville Smart Oven and it was one of the best purchases I have made. Definitely more money than I wanted to spend, but after reading many positive reviews I thought I would give it a shot. I am glad I did. It bakes and toasts perfectly and is very user friendly - something that was very important for me. If I am going to buy a high-end product, I want it to be easy to use. If anyone out there is thinking about getting a new toaster oven, I also recommend the Smart Oven. Here is a good product review of it that I found: Breville Smart Toaster Oven Review

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thank you for recommending this toaster
It is outstanding!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing