Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Does Raz have his own specially designated litter box, or is it generic?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, please not the Entreq “Kitty Litter Box” debacle .

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wouldn't want to electrocute the cat.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, KittyLitterGate was without doubt my low point on these forums.

And there’s been PLENTY of competition.

Arguing with a chief skeptic who stated what I’d just spent £1500+ on was indeed best left to the cats to use as cats know best.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
CJ, when Raz was born, his “bits” were well hidden, the vet thought he was a girl.
Only on rummaging around was it established he was indeed a “he”.
And then his bits got the chop anyway .
Thank the Lord there was no LGBTTY lobby then, he’d have felt extremely special.
As opposed to just confused and philosophical.

guess one should not categorise too quickly in these situations!

wishing Raz a speedy recovery

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks Dave, the vets we are using are on it.

Male or female, Raz remains a very special category.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
CJ, KittyLitterGate was without doubt my low point on these forums.

And there’s been PLENTY of competition.

Arguing with a chief skeptic who stated what I’d just spent £1500+ on was indeed best left to the cats to use as cats know best.

That makes you an Honorable High Tweakist.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Marc's home and listening to his system in its new dedicated listening room in the eaves of his converted chapel.
An incredible place which he and his partner have devoted a lot of time, effort and money making into a wonderful home. Both were very welcoming and hospitable and although I didn't meet their cat I was very pleased to hear that it is now making a very good recovery from all its earlier health problems.
Earlier in this thread there a number of photographs of his listening room which is a tremendous space but felt a bit narrower than I had expected. It was a very hot day, mid 80s, so combined with his NAT monos was really warm. All very well set up to get the best out of his system. We played some of his vinyl and the rock/pop cds I took with me.The Zuz reported mid range strengths were well evidenced on Jagger's vocals on Sympathy for the Devil on the ABCO Beggars Banquet sacd albeit in Red Book mode and the sound on other discs showed good channel separation.A very significant improvement on when I last heard his system in its earlier iteration in London.
Reflecting on the session afterwards it struck me that the main weakness in his system are the Zu speakers and that a better pair of speakers would pay considerable dividends.
All in all though a a very enjoyable trip to a part of the country that I am not familiar with and some interesting insights gained as to why it is prime Brexit territory, but that's a subject for debate elsewhere I am sure.
Thank you Marc and really good to catch up with you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, your company much appreciated (and the fascinating tidbit you revealed to Ra about the chapel).

Zu is a very Marmite brand and sound, no-one sits on the fence.

For me, a decade into ownership, second pair, tricked out, and aided massively by the room and dedicated power grid, I'm more in love w them than ever.

So, if you can point me in the direction of spkrs that can fill 800 sq ft w 35W/ch, have the Zu midband/upper bass tone density and dynamic shove, even at low levels in a room 3x the size of most British domestic spaces, I'll keep my mind open.

Indeed I'll answer my own question, I am intrigued by Maxonic field coils, good to 25Hz and 106dB efficient.

Most importantly, was good to see you, thanks for putting up w my continued delays in getting you up here.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Maxonic field coils hey? Gonna have to Google that...

What speakers are you using Barry? Just curious.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, is that Phil aka 213Cobra off Audiogon?
Btw, an early owner review of the VI is highlighting a great balance of traditional Zu tone dense sound w a much more open, transparent and delicate presentation.
I think Sean may have succeeded in getting more neutrality from the stiffer, lighter drive units and cabinets he has been striving to achieve.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi User 211
They are YG Acoustics Kipod Signature passives
Full details of my system are on my profile.
One of these days I'll get round to attaching the details to my posts!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry, your company much appreciated (and the fascinating tidbit you revealed to Ra about the chapel).

Zu is a very Marmite brand and sound, no-one sits on the fence.

For me, a decade into ownership, second pair, tricked out, and aided massively by the room and dedicated power grid, I'm more in love w them than ever.

So, if you can point me in the direction of spkrs that can fill 800 sq ft w 35W/ch, have the Zu midband/upper bass tone density and dynamic shove, even at low levels in a room 3x the size of most British domestic spaces, I'll keep my mind open.

Indeed I'll answer my own question, I am intrigued by Maxonic field coils, good to 25Hz and 106dB efficient.

Most importantly, was good to see you, thanks for putting up w my continued delays in getting you up here.

Each to his own but I can't reconcile your description of the Zus's sound to what I heard.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hi User 211
They are YG Acoustics Kipod Signature passives
Full details of my system are on my profile.
One of these days I'll get round to attaching the details to my posts!

Looking at your profile, which I should have done, and having spent a good few hours listening to your exact amp at a friend's place, plus having heard DCS and YG speakers, I can understand you are a world away from the Zus + NATs etc...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for that User 211

Hi Barry,

What aspects of the Zu sound do you not think it is up to scratch? I am not familiar with them so ask out of interest.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,

What aspects of the Zu sound do you not think it is up to scratch? I am not familiar with them so ask out of interest.

Hi Bill
As I reported in my original post we played Sympathy for the Devil from the Rolling Stones album Beggars Banquest, a track I assume you are familiar with.
Integral to the attractions of that track is the sheer excitement of the performance, the drive and pace of the music. PRAT writ large.
That was just absent when played on Marc's system and I attribute that to the Zu speakers but it is possible that other parts of the system could be part of that shortcoming.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill
As I reported in my original post we played Sympathy for the Devil from the Rolling Stones album Beggars Banquest, a track I assume you are familiar with.
Integral to the attractions of that track is the sheer excitement of the performance, the drive and pace of the music. PRAT writ large.
That was just absent when played on Marc's system and I attribute that to the Zu speakers but it is possible that other parts of the system could be part of that shortcoming.

Hey Barry,

Thanks for that.

In all honesty I seldom listen to that type of music and my minute experience with the Rolling Stones has been that it is badly recorded but I only heard a little.

I thought the raison d’etre of Zu was prat?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing