Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Power cable testing nearly drove me crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    I agree, if you can make a mechanical weld but a normal plug and socket will not have the kind of tight fit you are describing. It is made to be unmade, which necessitates a degree of looseness and therefore oxygen will be present and oxidation will damage the connection.
    Buy a can of deoxit
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

I don't doubt it but I am not yet prepared to pay that kind of price. BTW, do you mean Black II+? I don't see Black III on the NBS site.
    If they are charging an exorbitant price, then stay away from that manufacturer. It is usually obvious. They do this because there are some very financially rich people. I don't blame them.

There are literally hundreds of cables on the market now, from throw together to well evolved. Some without the "fill their bank account" prices.

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Dave
    'Tis a puzzlement indeed! Ordinarily I would agree with you that the connectors of the F11 series must be phosphor bronze. However. the Furutech 2017 catalog says very clearly that the Male F11 plug use pure copper conductors while the female end uses phosphor bronze. How weird is that?

Attachment 35597
    What is even more perplexing is that a few pages earlier in their catalog Furutech says:

"Of course everyone would love to make pure-copper receptacles, but its malleability – lack of stiffness – makes pure copper a poor choice. That’s why you’ll find phosphor bronze or brass in most receptacles".

So bottom line, it's hard to know exactly what the players are, even with a scorecard!
    Marty
    Strange that Furutech did not mention Tellurium-Copper. Tellurium is used in a very small amount ( 1 to 2 percent ) to strengthen the copper, then the platings are applied. Similar to Beryllium-Copper used for tools, but Beryllium-Copper is too brittle and may break. Many manufacturers are using the Te-Copper. FYI: Brass is about 30 percent Zinc. Bronze is about 12 percent Tin (roughly).

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquineous View Post
    If they are charging an exorbitant price, then stay away from that manufacturer. It is usually obvious. They do this because there are some very financially rich people. I don't blame them.

There are literally hundreds of cables on the market now, from throw together to well evolved. Some without the "fill their bank account" prices.
    Since they can be had for deep discount from the "retail" prices, they are not really worse than many other brands. I have not heard other brands of power cords have the same effect as the NBS cables though I have to admit. I was very skeptical at first but repeated trials confirmed the advantages.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Addicted to Best!
    Since they can be had for deep discount from the "retail" prices, they are not really worse than many other brands. I have not heard other brands of power cords have the same effect as the NBS cables though I have to admit. I was very skeptical at first but repeated trials confirmed the advantages.
    Hi Brad

What other PC cable brands have you given a fair shot like you did with the NBS?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Hi Brad

What other PC cable brands have you given a fair shot like you did with the NBS?
    Nothing directly that was very expensive, just some element cable and Vovox. I have tried in the past though Kondo silver cable and PS Audio. Kondo was nice but there was no "deep discount" so I decided it wasn't worth the money. The PS Audio did no better than a standard black power cord so I didn't keep it. I would like to try the Wireworld power cables, which other than the Platinum one, are pretty affordable and claim to be filtering designs as well. I admit I was not much of a believer in the power cords impacting the sound so much but it seems there is something there afterall.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    The issue probably was the fact that the TT was on a separate line to begin with. If your entire system is plugged into the same power distribution device then the grounds are combined as soon as possible which reduces the possibility for ground loops. Using two different circuits will always lead to more noise unless steps are taken to compensate.

You should not need to compromise safety to reduce noise.
    I agree with the safety issue. These ground lifting practices should be done as a test, and considered temporary. Contacting the component manufacturer may help, but most of them know system grounding can be a complicated issue.

Synergistic Research, Granite Audio, Nordost, and Ansuz Audio, all make their power conditioners with a stepped grounding scheme. It may be helpful to contact one of them, ideally for helpful information rather than a sales pitch. Ultimately you can end up with a grounding diagram which shows the current flow direction and voltage potential of each component in your system. At that point, you'll pretty much know which ones are the culprit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234