Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power cable testing nearly drove me crazy!!

Addicted to Best!

Power cable testing nearly drove me crazy!!

I spent several hours yesterday and several more over the weekend trying to make up my mind on an NBS Omega Extreme I power cord. I also had on loan a NBS Monitor III and some basic Vovox power cables. I was trying to decide if the Omega Extreme worked best on the amp (Ayon Crossfire III) or the DAC (Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II) and in the end it is staying in the system on the DAC where it gave great resolution but did not impact the overall weight of the tonal balance. In the amp it was lightening things up in comparison to the Monitor III and the Vovox, which were surprisingly similar. The Omega had better resolution but a less solid bottom end. On the DAC this did not manifest itself so much and the tightness and drive to the bass as well as superb resoution and depth layering won the day.

What was challenging was that the budget (Element cable Red Storm, which is based off a very good shielded Belden cable) cable I was running from my Monarchy Power regenerator to my DAC was putting up a surprisingly good fight. In the end though it was the relative flatness of the soundstage (only relative as it is not really bad at this) and a bit of dynamic loss that convinced me to switch to the relatively pricey Omega. Also, the Monitor III is a beast in the bass but ultimately loses a bit of low level resolution and is slightly "darkish" in the upper ranges...not really but in comparison again. On the amp this was really good but on the DAC it served to veil things a bit and soften too much the overall picture.

On the amp it was really a toss up between the Monitor III or the Vovox. The Monitor had a bit more depth layer and more explosive dynamics, the Vovox a bit more extended on top...both have great bass punch and weight.

So for now, I will have the Omega on the DAC and either Vovox or Monitor on the amp...however, the Omega on the amp was also quite good IF the Monitor was on the DAC; however, the other way around seems to work a bit better.

Lots of permutations here because the Monitor on the amp and the cheap Element cable on the DAC was also superb...just losing out in the spatial aspects.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Morricab, I have used NBS cables through out my high end journey. Once in a while NBS will close out very good cables on their website. I especially favor the Statement level cables. With my grounding scheme I find them very lucid,natural,dynamic and balanced.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

love the NBS Black Label III powerchords.
    I use them as input chords to my Vibex Granada power splitter

give them a try, much better as omega extreme I

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
    Morricab, I have used NBS cables through out my high end journey. Once in a while NBS will close out very good cables on their website. I especially favor the Statement level cables. With my grounding scheme I find them very lucid,natural,dynamic and balanced.
    I tried some statement III in my system but did not like the warm, somewhat darkish tint it gave to the system. My friend has all Black label II in his and that in my system was great but more than I want to spend.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    www.soundcastles.ch

Addicted to Best!
    I don't doubt it but I am not yet prepared to pay that kind of price. BTW, do you mean Black II+? I don't see Black III on the NBS site.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    www.soundcastles.ch

Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    I tried some statement III in my system but did not like the warm, somewhat darkish tint it gave to the system. My friend has all Black label II in his and that in my system was great but more than I want to spend.
    My grounding scheme has removed all coloration nasties imho.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    +1--I have all NBS Statement Power throughout my system since mid 90's They deliver for me

BruceD

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
    My grounding scheme has removed all coloration nasties imho.
    Let me see if I understand your grounding correctly, You have a large gauge mesh "wire" going from the chassis of each component to a common earth ("star")? Or are you also going from Chassis to Chassis?

We compared Statement III, Monitor III, Black Label II+ and Omega Extreme I in my system. Black Label combined the best of the other three into a superior (but pricey) cable. Monitor was slight warm but with really good weight and attack but less refined than the others and slightly veiled on top...just a touch. Statement made the sound voluptuous and rich...not a bad thing per se but it also seemed to soften and round the transients making the sound significantly more laid back overall...it was not so much to my liking and I preferred the Monitor. Omega Extreme lacked some of the weight of the other three (at least on my amp but not so much the DAC) but was highly resolving and defined in the bass right up through the range. In this aspect it was nearly on par with the Black Label II. Where it fell behind the Black was the weight and attack, which the Black had without losing the kind of resolution that the Omega had. So, Black was like having the cake and eating it too! In the end I felt the Statement III was not quite right for my system. Monitor III is quite good on my amp and might stay for a while...not sure.

Any experience with models like Master, Professional or Signature?
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    www.soundcastles.ch

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Try the new Furutech DPS-4 w/ NCF plugs.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    Let me see if I understand your grounding correctly, You have a large gauge mesh "wire" going from the chassis of each component to a common earth ("star")? Or are you also going from Chassis to Chassis?

We compared Statement III, Monitor III, Black Label II+ and Omega Extreme I in my system. Black Label combined the best of the other three into a superior (but pricey) cable. Monitor was slight warm but with really good weight and attack but less refined than the others and slightly veiled on top...just a touch. Statement made the sound voluptuous and rich...not a bad thing per se but it also seemed to soften and round the transients making the sound significantly more laid back overall...it was not so much to my liking and I preferred the Monitor. Omega Extreme lacked some of the weight of the other three (at least on my amp but not so much the DAC) but was highly resolving and defined in the bass right up through the range. In this aspect it was nearly on par with the Black Label II. Where it fell behind the Black was the weight and attack, which the Black had without losing the kind of resolution that the Omega had. So, Black was like having the cake and eating it too! In the end I felt the Statement III was not quite right for my system. Monitor III is quite good on my amp and might stay for a while...not sure.

Any experience with models like Master, Professional or Signature?
    Right now my config is all the original Statement cables except the speaker cable which is a Master IV. I do use Pro and Master IV IC's on a few components. On my mono blocks I use the original Master PC's. I did use a original Master speaker cable but needed a longer length. My favorites are original Master and Statement cables. Walter told me once that the original Statement was the biggest selling cable he ever made, but that was ten years ago.
    I always evaluated the cables by which ones threw the largest sound stage which was the original Master.
    Having to deal with incremental cables led me to my chassis grounding. Since then all cables sound equally....which is exceptional. The noise floor is tremendously low...a bottomless pit.
    I really can't speak to the individual qualities as I can't recall...but the Master and Statement were always my favorites.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast