Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shakti's System: Micro Seiki 8000, Koetsu, VDH, Airtight, Zingali, YG Anat,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Thank you, shakti. Oh my! Well this is all a lot more complicated and tweaky than I was anticipating!

I thought (mistakenly, I now read) there was widespread agreement that a high effective mass arm -- whether Ikeda 407 or an FR -- was the best carrier generally for low compliance Koetsus, and that that is all you need to make a Koetsu "sing."

I like a natural, slightly rich mid-bass to lower midrange, slightly warm-ish balance in a tonearm/cartridge combination. (Think Benz Micro Ruby 2, Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Benz LP S-MR, ZYX UNIverse Premium; I do not care for even Lyra Atlas.)

I, personally, would not want a resonant FR arm to tip upward the tonal balance of a Koetsu cartridge.

shakti, if I do not want to mess with headshells, rubber strips, rubber rings and bands, etc., what is your suggestion for a turn-key tonearm for a Koetsu?

What do you think of the SME 3012R for a stone body Koetsu?
    One of these may be the answer. Very interesting and eminently affordable. To be available mid- October.
    http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/08...nearm.html?m=1

My personal experience with the Koetsu in my collection (metal body, wood body and stone body) is, that they do not give a lot of energy into the arm, means, that their body construction is well designed and self dampening. So they do not need additional treatment with wood headshells, I prefer than fast and dynamic ones, like titanium or the Schick Graphit one. And to let the Koetsu fly like a bird, the arm should be capable to sing as well. Does not mean, that the arm has to add resonances, bud a tonearm with , as an example alloy or composite components has a inner damping, that a cart like a Koetsu can easily play on the boring side.

For me the FR 64s or FR66s are perfect matches for Stonebody and Woodbody. The Metalbody would also play good with Ikeda, as the system in its own is more vital than the others.

As many of you are looking for the 3012R, I would say, that 3012R plays also on the vital side of life. But can also handle the energy of an Ortofon SPU. So using a Koetsu on SME 3012R , as a guess, never tried it, would not require a wood headshell. Should work fine with a fast and dynamic headshell. As the SME 3012R is a lighter arm that the FR, the headshell should fit. With the 20g Yamamoto HS 5 titanium you would shift the specific weight of the 3012R from around 14g to more close to 18g, which is not a bad figure for a stone body Koetsu. The Stone body is heavy in its own, ca 12,5g, so in total the headshell / cable / screws will add to around 35 g. With the 16g Yamamoto HS6 titanium it will be like 31g (similar to SPU) . I would give it a try, the theory looks promising!
    I can understand , that some folks use the 3012R and a stone body, combined with a more heavy headshell (Jelco HS 30 or the Koetsu headshell are at 15g)

Recommending a cart/arm combination is very difficult. I have many visitors and nearly the half love the Ikeda / Stradivarius , the other half the Fr64s/Onyx Platinum combination. Most of my friends would define their need as "resolution with weight and substance plus some "magic", but in front of the system they decide 50/50 for colibri or Koetsu.

Just give it a try! It makes fun :-)

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Ron, as any cartridge will play in, the VTF etc have to be periodically adjusted to keep the SQ. If you read Doug Deacon's posts on the gon, he been on the Zyx for well over a decade, he readjusts every listening.
    I understand that. But cartridge adjustment to me is different than solving for all of these variables to arrive at the cartridge and tonearm combination in the first place.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Thank you, shakti!

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Ron,
    Experimenting with headshells and multiple cartridges is one of the great joys with the SME 3012R. I've had great luck with this heavy Audio Technica headshell from Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...nica+headshell
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_t View Post
    Ron,
    Experimenting with headshells and multiple cartridges is one of the great joys with the SME 3012R. I've had great luck with this heavy Audio Technica headshell from Japan:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...nica+headshell
    I hear 'ya! And I understand fully why many people enjoy doing that. But it is just not something I am going to spend time doing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123