Audio Research Reference 3 VS Reference 5 SE Preamplifiers

Secretariat

VIP/Donor
Feb 28, 2017
Philippines
For anyone out there who has both listened to an the Audio Research Reference 3 and Reference 5 SE preamplifiers, how much better is the latter than the former? The reason for me asking this question is because at present, I own an Audio Research Reference 3 and someone is offering me a used Audio Research Reference 5 SE and I was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. For your information, if I buy the Ref 5 SE and sell the Ref 3 afterwards, I shall be paying a balance of 1.5K more. Anyway, in what departments is the Ref 5 SE better than the Ref 3 and how do they compare in sonic character?
Thanks in advance.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
For anyone out there who has both listened to an the Audio Research Reference 3 and Reference 5 SE preamplifiers, how much better is the latter than the former? The reason for me asking this question is because at present, I own an Audio Research Reference 3 and someone is offering me a used Audio Research Reference 5 SE and I was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. For your information, if I buy the Ref 5 SE and sell the Ref 3 afterwards, I shall be paying a balance of 1.5K more. Anyway, in what departments is the Ref 5 SE better than the Ref 3 and how do they compare in sonic character?
Thanks in advance.

It’s an immediately obvious upgrade in every dept, but particularly transparency and soundstage delineation. More high frequency extension too.

Owned the Ref 5 SE for many years, am actually (and kinda regrettably) it and my Ref 75 for reasons having nothing to do with sound quality.

Secretariat

VIP/Donor
Feb 28, 2017
Philippines
It’s an immediately obvious upgrade in every dept, but particularly transparency and soundstage delineation. More high frequency extension too.

Owned the Ref 5 SE for many years, am actually (and kinda regrettably) it and my Ref 75 for reasons having nothing to do with sound quality.

Between the Ref 5SE and Ref 3, which has a more full body and tube-like sound?
Thanks.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Between the Ref 5SE and Ref 3, which has a more full body and tube-like sound?
Thanks.

If your based in Manila why don't you pay our local dealer a visit . I think he has a 5 SE , not sure about the REF 3 if he has one. I've heard them both already and I don't recall them as having the typical tube sound . They're more of neutral but not analytical . I was not impressed by the REF 3 & 5 but the 5SE is much better than both of them. What amp are you planning to use w/ these units ?

Secretariat

VIP/Donor
Feb 28, 2017
Philippines
Pass Labs X250.5 amplifier. I'm actually buying the Ref 5SE second hand as I believe that audio Research stopped making them anymore.
Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks in advance.

The REF5 SE is fuller sounding than the REF 3. It has more body and is more fluid, with less grain and a larger soundstage. It is not the equal of the REF40, but is much closer to it than the REF3 or REF5. IMHO paying 1.5K extra for a 5SE is the bargain of the century.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Whilst the following advice mostly depends upon the difference in cost between the pre owned 5se (dealer or private?) and my recommendation of an new Ref6

Aside from the quite notable step up in performance accross the board with the Ref6 you would also be benefitting from a full factory warranty, hence my question regarding the provenance of the Ref5se, the former perhaps 6 months at best the latter no warranty at all.

As previously suggested.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Pass Labs X250.5 amplifier. I'm actually buying the Ref 5SE second hand as I believe that audio Research stopped making them anymore.
Thanks.

I spoke to our local dealer and he has a Pre owned ( second hand )REF 5SE for sale in his showroom in Paco Manila . You can audition it if you want , bring your Pass Amp so that you can see if it's a good match . Unfortunately he sold his REF 3 a long time ago.
If your into vinyl , he has the REF Phono 2SE as well also a preowned ( second hand ) unit .

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Thanks for your reply.Now getting more excited to get the Ref 5SE later.

Please don't forget to post a mini review regarding the REF 5SE once its in your possession. Maybe a comparison to your old linestage .

Secretariat

VIP/Donor
Feb 28, 2017
Philippines
Please don't forget to post a mini review regarding the REF 5SE once its in your possession. Maybe a comparison to your old linestage .

Just got my Ref 5SE and been listening to it for the past 3 hours. Just exactly what mocrostrip said, much better than the the Ref 3.More Fuller sounding, bigger soundstage and definitely, more. Really happy that I made the purchase.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That was my experience as well.

Just got my Ref 5SE and been listening to it for the past 3 hours. Just exactly what mocrostrip said, much better than the the Ref 3.More Fuller sounding, bigger soundstage and definitely, more. Really happy that I made the purchase.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing