BOSE COMPANION 20 vs AUDIOENGINE 2+ - comparison

MementoMori

Nov 18, 2016
I'm out for blood. Which sucker on here suggested Audioengine 2 + to me? Because I wanna a refund, yea, a refund. I have owned the BOSE COMPANION 20 for five years and still, to this day, they are supremo, the standard in excellence. For reasons that I'm not sure of, being the BOSE still run like a beaut', I still asked for new speakers for my birthday. I figured, time for an upgrade. Boy was I wrong! I should've asked for a top case for my scooter, because I had no need for speakers. And yet, the person who suggested the AudioEngine got me curious. Plus, this New Yorker was partial to the fact that AudioEngine is a New York City company. I sorely regret my decision.

Been using AudioEngine for 24 hours, and what a disappointment they have been. I have played house music DJ sets, and now playing Marilyn Manson's HOLLYWOOD. When they're not shutting down spontaneously due to overload, they emit a dull sound that can't be much better than the little dice-size speakers you get at the dollar store (well, I'm exaggerating. A little). Seriously, who is AUDIOENGINE kidding with this lame product? The bass is dull, and Manson sounds like screeching. The Companion 20, five years on, still pack a wallop. Perhaps there's only one company that understands bass, and that's BOSE. Their sound is expansive, room-filling, the bass rich and punchy.

Credit goes to AUDIOENGINE, however, for a wonderful packaging. Each set of wire is delivered in a nice cloth bag. Sweet! :D

Gonna unload these god-awful speakers on some unsuspecting soul right quick. And whoever is suggesting that anyone buy these, don't.

Stick to American-made product, no matter what. Better yet, buy BOSE

(and no, I do not work for BOSE)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In your other threads you make mention on wanting bass. In the Mac one I suggested Adam Artist 5s. I did so because I shifted to these from Artist 3s which had very little bass. Incidentally I used these as monitors for a DJ rig comprised of DJM mixers (900 Nexus or 2000) and Nexus 2000 decks or SL1210 M5Gs with Ortofon Nightclub 2s. They also performed admirably with my G tower.

It's not a coincidence that 5 and 3 reflect the woofer size. The Bose has an approximately 3" full range driver. The Audio Engine 2+ has a similarly sized woofer. The major difference between the two is how their woofers are loaded. The AE is in a sealed enclosure and the Bose uses their Wave thing which is somewhat like a transmission line with folded horn elements to it. The latter will give more bass, the lack of a tweeter less highs.

In the thread where the AE2+ was recommended, bass was only referred to in passing unlike your other 2 threads. Make of that what you will.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing