Audio - the hobby that keeps on giving

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm finding this totally fascinating.
After two decades of getting reasonable results in my old, acoustically and electrically challenged London apartment, I now have a room acoustic and quiet power grid in the depths of the country to die for.
Every system-wide impvt I install just reveals more and more, enhancing what I loved about my sound, and taking it to heights I never dreamed possible.
Balanced power, dedicated lines, now Sablon Elite power cords synergising w Stacore isolation platforms, enhanced by some Shun Mooks, and just today, a couple of SR Black fuses in my Zu sub amps.
I truly cannot believe the continued opening up of my sound, and I'm compelled to keep at it.
Other than a jump into the streamer/dac world for the first time, and a daydream of future purchase exotic tt/arm, component upgrades are behind me, I'm having so much fun discovering the limits of my current components.
Those limits? Limitless if my system impvts are anything to go by.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Good for you!

Living in Central London with an "acoustically challenged" listening room, I envy you. I am postponing any upgrades or purchases until I have a less challenged space, but I continue to have fun by listening to music new to me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SoundA, I was living in Hackney E London, home of the £3 Latte, and £6 toastie, but as Ked will attest, my apartment acoustic was, er, appalling, which I only really realised on moving to the new room.
He lives in Central London, maybe he can tell you how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'm finding this totally fascinating.
Those limits? Limitless if my system impvts are anything to go by.

Congrats Marc...many times I have asked myself the same question. Not as much lately,but I continue to believe there's much to be gained.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
How stable is the voltage in your new house? I heard horrible story that the voltage can fluctuate more than 10%. Is it better in country side?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adyc, when I was in London, we ran a real time analyser, and indeed voltage fluctuated +/- 10% from moment to moment.
Crazy.
The moment installed balanced power, this reduced to +/- 0.25%.
No exaggeration.
I'm the country, w'out the transformer, the fluctuation was down to +/- 1%.
With the transformer, it didn't vary at all over a fifteen minute sample period.
Additionally, my ground impedance in London was v high, can't remember the figure, maybe >100Ohms.
Here, it's under 5 if I recall correctly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The moment installed balanced power, this reduced to +/- 0.25%.
No exaggeration.

What type of regulation has your balancing transformer?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Micro, I really don't know
Google www.one4power.co.uk and look for "Westwick 8K" balanced power transformer, maybe info is there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing