Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers

Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Hi COF,

Agree with you regarding the sonic qualities you describe. I really wanted a small monitor type speaker and this, I believe, will fit the bill. As expected, they do some things better than the 116's and some that are not. My "overall" feeling at this point is that I can live with and be satisfied recognizing the aggregate differences. And this before I've done some serious tweaking.

Have a new pair in piano black arriving next week along with some target stands with upgraded options and 50 pounds of lead shot. I assume this will be better than my current arrangement which is the monitors (at the recommended height) placed on open backed wood chairs sitting on Mapleshade brass cones. For the moment, they are very responsive to small adjustments which, to me, is a very good sign.

I will wait for my new pair to break in and optimize the placement with the new stands. Once I've done that and made some additional room adjustments, I will make a decision on the REL sub.

Thank you so much for your post and your interest and welcome to WBF.

Best,

Dude
    I hope you will return at some point to say how you are getting on with your Pulsars.

BTW, I noticed this thread, with no replies in the last 3 days, has stayed at the top of the forum. That suggests an almost deserted forum, activity-wise. Is this forum usually this slow?

Quote Originally Posted by COF View Post
    I hope you will return at some point to say how you are getting on with your Pulsars.

BTW, I noticed this thread, with no replies in the last 3 days, has stayed at the top of the forum. That suggests an almost deserted forum, activity-wise. Is this forum usually this slow?
    Having Two posts and coming out of the gates swinging is not the best way to garner help or answers.. Now I too have at times been a tad callus by my fingers .. That being said .. This forum is not your usual gin mill audio forum where you have 100k members of 98 k of useless information... Its Quality here not Quantity..

I have posted where its been 3 responses but those three were exactly what I was looking for ...
    Welcome by the way ! Gordon will I'm sure chime in as he is a great wealth of sharing knowledge ..

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    Having Two posts and coming out of the gates swinging is not the best way to garner help or answers.. Now I too have at times been a tad callus by my fingers .. That being said .. This forum is not your usual gin mill audio forum where you have 100k members of 98 k of useless information... Its Quality here not Quantity..

I have posted where its been 3 responses but those three were exactly what I was looking for ...
    Welcome by the way ! Gordon will I'm sure chime in as he is a great wealth of sharing knowledge ..
    I didn't mean to "come out swinging". It's just unusual for any forum I can remember posting on for there to be no activity at all for days. I've seen various forums go on downturns where it seems everyone is leaving and, well, the traffic flow tends to look like this. I just didn't know if this was the norm, which is why I asked.

I've read lots of excellent threads here, some wonderful discussions, so I'm glad to hear there is still interest in the forum.

Anyway, I'll try to contribute when I can. I'm still hunting around seeing if I can find anything smaller, but satisfying to replace my Thiel 3.7s. I'll report if I hear anything great.

Thanks for the welcome!

A bit more on the Joseph Audio Perspective speakers: As I'd mentioned, the Joseph Perspectives were the best so far. Such a gorgeous midrange. The bass was actually one of the things that I liked at first, and through much of the audition. It has a density and texture that is quite satisfying. Set up in my room, the did a great disappearing act, with excellent soundstage depth, rivaling the bigger Thiels. (Much better than the Harbeth SuperHL5plus speakers I tried after). They sounded a bit tonally darker than the Thiels, but still with a lively top end that was even more refined in it's own way. Image sizes and the sense of the body of instruments and voices were, understandably, a bit reduced vs the bigger Thiels. Imaging wasn't quite as tight as the Thiels - the Thiels are champs in that regard. The Perspectives struck me as being slightly less dynamic and yet slightly more dynamic than the Thiels, depending on what I concentrated on. The Thiels sounded overall more forceful - an acoustic guitar strummed hard, for instance, would project with more body and forwardness. But in terms of the micro-dynamics, all the variations in the dynamics of, say, someone hand picking acoustic or classical guitar, the Perspectives sounded more varied and alive in that regard.

The main thing that struck me was the harmonic purity of the sound - a velvety dark "background" which allowed the really distinct timbres of bells, saxophones, strings, voices, to shine through with their own distinct timbral quality. In other words, with the Perspectives I could pick things out of a complex the mix due to the timbral differences being obvious, whereas for most speakers (Thiels included in comparison) it's the soundstaging and imaging that helps unweave the instruments from one another. The Hales speakers I used to own (Transcendence 5) and the ones I still own (T1 monitors) are a touchstone for me, because they have always been champions at reproducing a rainbow of timbres, with a complete lack of hash. In that respect, they have the same tonal virtue as the Perspectives. And I wonder how much is due to the fact the Perspectives use a newer variation of the same Seas magnesium cone mid/woofers. Something about those drivers....However, they are a bit more lush sounding, but also less alive in terms of dynamics, leading edge transients. The Perspectives have overall more clarity and texture than the Hales. In fact the Perspectives, like the Pulsars, have a really special tweeter, or at least beautifully implemented. The sound of drum cymbals, for instance, are so convincingly clean and "metallic." Though I don't really think you can pre-judge the sound of a speaker by it's drivers, to the degree any cliche is true that metal dome tweeters do metal sounds, e.g. cymbals convincingly, this is the most convincing performance with metallic instruments that I can remember from a soft dome tweeter. More convincing than the metal drivers in my Thiel 3.7s.

I had one main reservation: by the end of my home audition I thought I'd begun to notice a bit of "puffiness" to the bass, port-noise-type bass I guess. I only had so long to try to dial them in so I'd hope I can achieve better.
    I also, at one or two points, thought I heard something of a resonance interfering with a certain range of female vocals. Rarely, but seemed there a couple times. I don't know if that would change with more experimenting.

Anywhere, there you have my take for anyone interested.

Good information.. If I had to get a stand speaker it would be TAD micro .. loved their sound at Axpona

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you and hope all is well with you and family / friends. Stands arriving today and my new Pulsars tomorrow. Have also ordered 2 - 25 pound bags of lead shot for the stands. All should be up and running next week. Hope the dreaded "break in" period is short. FWIW, MBL's sold in two days.

Gordon

Keep us posted on the journey .. I am playing with Wilson's now.. I have a set of Sophias and Watt3.. Sophia are warm throw a HUGE stage and the Watts are detail and placement orientated.. Not for everyone but boy do they image.. Im waiting to replace the tweeters from the known resonance fiber Focals to the Ti coated as to calm them in a way..

Hows the warm retirement treating ya ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12