I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ordered an American Sound Turntable. Weight of the TT with two armboards is around 200kg,..440 lb.. Motor is an additional 30kg, 66lb. A true heavy weight with air bearing and no vacuum hold down. David does an excellent job of convincing one to do the best thing for their record playback. I am taking an early Spring 2018 time slot so I have a good wait to go. Time to call Herzan for another custom made welded steel TT stand...this time with a 32"x20" top plate foot print. These are pictures of David's beast with the new motor and motor controller (hope he doesn't mind). I am still numb from this buying decision experience....:D

Edit: added David's thread on American Sound from a couple years back.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18161-The-American-Sound-Turntable-Beyond-s-Minimalist

Attachments

• AS_TT_Air.jpg
    AS_TT_Air.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3,357
  • AS_Rearview.jpg
    AS_Rearview.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,200
  • AS_Motor.jpg
    AS_Motor.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,218
  • AS_Controller_Close.jpg
    AS_Controller_Close.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,171
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations - it looks great, particularly with the large motor flywheel. If all American Sound Turntables get four SME3012R tonearms I can imagine there will be a shortage on the market!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, fantastic
But you'll struggle to cue up that tonearm if you're numb

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
congrats Christian. I'm very happy for you (and i am not one bit surprised considering I heard David's American Sound tt in his room in February compared to his other tt's).

here is the Herzan answer for you.

NDW-23A active workstation.

36" x 24" top plate. 660 pound weight capacity. just change the wheels to spikes or large screw flat bottom footers, change to linear power supplies, and you are good to go.

nano damp.png

it will be fun reading about your experiences.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
congrats Christian. I'm very happy for you (and i am not one bit surprised considering I heard David's American Sound tt in his room in February compared to his other tt's).

here is the Herzan answer for you.

NDW-23A active workstation.

36" x 24" top plate. 660 pound weight capacity. just change the wheels to spikes or large screw flat bottom footers, change to linear power supplies, and you are good to go.

View attachment 35454

it will be fun reading about your experiences.

Thanks Mike. I hadn't planned on that (too heavy for TS series, forgot about heavy weight AVI series)...Now you are talking....time to recalibrate on my stand idea....hmmm

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. I hadn't planned on that (too heavy for TS series, forgot about heavy weight AVI series)...Now you are talking....time to recalibrate on my stand idea....hmmm

it is...the only answer. unless you slum it with an air table.....or just go 'nude' like David.

there is a TS-300 which works; but it's such a beast to ship and deal with if there is any problem with it's not worth it. and it will be more expensive. the AVI series has better performance since it does not have to work in the smaller enclosures. there is even an LFS System which improves the low frequency isolation performance you can add.

trust me; this is the one.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You didn't know about the AS when you said that Chris ;), but she will truly be your last one!

Welcome to our small family!

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, I believe Dave absolutely doesn't recommend anything other than solid unyielding support under the AS.
I guess Christian is free to go his way on this.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ordered an American Sound Turntable. Weight of the TT with two armboards is around 200kg,..440 lb.. Motor is an additional 30kg, 66lb... Time to call Herzan for another custom made welded steel TT stand...this time with a 32"x20" top plate foot print.

Hello rockitman,

I once saw your listening room on youtube made by Peter B. Very very impressive room full collection of audio gears, records and tapes. I wonder if you have any space left for this big Thor hammer :p.

I heard your car garage is also full.

King regards,
Tang

Reactions: assessor43

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ordered an American Sound Turntable. Weight of the TT with two armboards is around 200kg,..440 lb.. Motor is an additional 30kg, 66lb. A true heavy weight with air bearing and no vacuum hold down. David does an excellent job of convincing one to do the best thing for their record playback. I am taking an early Spring 2018 time slot so I have a good wait to go. Time to call Herzan for another custom made welded steel TT stand...this time with a 32"x20" top plate foot print. These are pictures of David's beast with the new motor and motor controller (hope he doesn't mind). I am still numb from this buying decision experience....:D

Having heard The American Sound at David's and proclaiming it my favorite turntable even over my TechDas AF1 I remember your saying impossible. Now with a bigger everything this is going to be one amazing turn table and David brings with all of his years of turntable wisdom in this beauty. Congrats Christian

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congrats. It will be very interesting to read about the comparison between the huge AS and AF1 in your room.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I believe Dave absolutely doesn't recommend anything other than solid unyielding support under the AS.
I guess Christian is free to go his way on this.

David's bass units are 30 feet from his turntables, and are not particularly intrusive in the presentation. and......David has never tried active isolation before. so he does not yet have any experience to know how it would do.

I respect David's viewpoint; we will see in the coming months what Christian does, and then how that effects what David does. I have my hunch.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, have you had even a moment of weakness and considered David's ultimate prize as a final final tt upgrade?
Esp w your digital now so progressed in its evolution.
Would certainly be an all out assault on maintaining the analog faith 200%.
If David has really married the heft and solidity of the AS w perhaps uber neutrality, speed and certitude from perhaps the most over engineered and over specced motor in tt history, I can only begin to imagine what a space and time machine this baby represents, how it'll knock down the door of yr Studer and draw another boundary to the best of current SOTA digital.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hello rockitman,

I once saw your listening room on youtube made by Peter B. Very very impressive room full collection of audio gears, records and tapes. I wonder if you have any space left for this big Thor hammer :p.

I heard your car garage is also full.

King regards,
Tang

Indeed Tang. I just may have to remove my desk/computer workstation from the room....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Having heard The American Sound at David's and proclaiming it my favorite turntable even over my TechDas AF1 I remember your saying impossible. Now with a bigger everything this is going to be one amazing turn table and David brings with all of his years of turntable wisdom in this beauty. Congrats Christian

Thanks Steve. It took about a week and a half to convince myself. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing