I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Phoenix Engineering

Jul 15, 2016
Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Please read previous posts and what is being debated before jumping in the thread. I am now addressing absolute speed and the subjective effect of speed dragging when the arm is lowered. Not the instrument, but what people do with it.

Anyway what is the difference for a common user knowing he is listening at 33.32 in the morning and at 33.34 rpm next day? IMHO no one will notice it.

Then why measure at all? And why use a PC with spectral analysis software. Why make the statement that you find 33.30 to 33.36 to be satisfactory? If you are going to measure, why not do it as accurately as possible? Does anyone complain that their Fluke DVM is too accurate? Personally, I only look at the number of decimal places that are relevant to the task.

BTW masking will truncate not round.

Correct. Nobody said anything about rounding?

Surely your system can be used for diagnostics, and it was why I was asking more questions. But interpretation of data is not easy.

Fair enough. In my experience, static stylus drag (stylus down vs stylus up) shows up as a drop in speed of 0.01RPM or less. Without 3 places right of the decimal, this would be almost undetectable. The drag is almost entirely a function of belt creep, not slippage as you implied. Slippage can be cured with proper tension, creepage cannot. David's table uses a semi-rigid belt which suffers from much less belt creep than an elastic belt, so I doubt there would be any difference between stylus up vs stylus down, and if there was, it would occur at a much slower (inaudible) rate than with a lighter platter.

Dynamic drag is another story (change in speed with loud or dynamic passages vs soft). I'm not able to measure it even with 3 places right of the decimal, but in theory it exists. Even direct drive synchronous motor driven platters can suffer from this as the angle between the rotor and the magnetic field can vary with torque. The only reliable cure for this IMO, is platter mass; by definition, dynamic changes will be short lived, so the higher the inertia, the smaller the change in speed due to dynamic drag.

My point was simple since start - a good strobe with a quartz strobe flash light is all that is commonly needed to listen to vinyl. I am just thinking that most of our members consider that listening to their tapes is listening to their best source . Are they troubled by how accurate is the speed of their machines? :)

I don't know, are they? I'm not aware of any reliable way to measure it and if one exists, there's not much they could do about it if the speed was off.

I never read a complain of anyone claiming his CD player was playing slow or fast.

That's because the motors are servo-locked and the data is buffered, so playback speed is a function of the master clock, not a rotating disk. High end CD players use low phase noise oscillators to reduce jitter which can be measured (in the nano & picosecond range) and by most accounts, jitter does adversely affect sound quality.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Then why measure at all? And why use a PC with spectral analysis software. Why make the statement that you find 33.30 to 33.36 to be satisfactory? If you are going to measure, why not do it as accurately as possible? Does anyone complain that their Fluke DVM is too accurate? Personally, I only look at the number of decimal places that are relevant to the task. (...)

I am pleased with such interval because .1% is the accuracy of the best tape machines (my Studer A80 included), and accuracy deviations within this fork are considered inaudible - it was often debated in 60's and 70's articles.
The PC with spectral analysis has diagnose purposes - checking motor waveform drive, cleanness of pulley and belt, although it also gives me accurate enough rotating speed. It is of great help in tape machines that have many mechanical rotating parts - see http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14129-Desert-island-R2R-1-4-quot-2-track-master-player&p=261034&viewfull=1#post261034. Each spike set was due to the respective worn-up part!

Do you remember this old engineer definition? An engineer considers that a car project is finished when he can not remove any part without affecting its performance! :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you remember this old engineer definition? An engineer considers that a car project is finished when he can not remove any part without affecting its performance! :)

That's exactly what the AS turntables are about, absolute minimalism. There's nothing without a real function in the entire design and Phoenix Engineering's electronics are part of the Zen. You'd recognize the beauty and simplicity of his designs if you used them... The tach is an accurate monitoring tool without having to mess with strobe discs and lights and it's always there.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear David,

So which speed monitoring device do you recommend? What is this tachometer to which you refer?

Ron

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David,

So which speed monitoring device do you recommend? What is this tachometer to which you refer?

Ron

The one you see in Chris’s video but in the production units it will be incorporated in the motor casing next to the controller display. The tach is only giving you speed information, not used for speed control.

david

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi

Can I just clarify David and Bill
This is speed measurement is taking a sample once every rotation
So it is a very accurate measure of average speed per rotation

But it is not giving continuous speed measurements

I have to say Rockitmans videos are gorgeous

I envy those who are able to purchase ....

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
It's once every revolution Peter, it's there mostly as a visual guide so you know you've reached desired speed than anything else. Christian's motor case is still a prototype the production units will have the tach display built in.

david
Just like this DD table from PBN AUDIO. Once it reaches speed (almost instantaneously) it stays locked in at 33.335, and never moves, .....I mean Never....... B356E93B-11D6-475D-A5BC-A658413188F7.jpg CB1DD58E-FA74-4F19-8C98-EE7B71F0B178.jpg

Cheers.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing