I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
agree that could be a factor, but I'm guessing with the mass of the platter and plinth that it's not. active is so stiff and quick that I am quite confident it will be fine. I think the 'air bed with guide' (it's not a bearing) will be happier with the active than without.

but there is a remote possibility there could be a synergy issue.

but I'm willing to go for the moon to get the last iota of performance. and take my chances. I can't stop now.
The AF1 is the same way...not airbearing per se, rather the entire platter floats and only the spindle is there to keep it centered.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It does. And I know you will eventually have it on one of your tts. Your garage is already full. Time for resource reallocation sir :p.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes...once the hoopla regarding that SAT arm infects the mind, it's hard not to think about it and wonder. The 3012 will be the first arm on the hammer.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congrats Christian and Mike on a once in a lifetime opportunity to own an American beauty. Now DDK just needs to convince you both to join the all LAMM club. :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks Mike!

Still not really clear; as you may know Mike, the when comparing to the "direct to end user" AF1 price, I believe that is much different than the suggested Retail AF1 pricing.

Maybe David was meaning closer to the retail price, not sure. If possible, can you elaborate?

Anyway, as my Auntie would be inclined to say, "In any case, priceless."

Cheers!
ALF

AF1's retail pricing.

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's in the design of the underside of the platter and air flow.

The AS doesn't even have that!

david

Mike sums it up well. These words really got me excited...worth quoting again...at least for my benefit as I am the only one who hasn't heard AS yet but is buying one.

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

as far as trying to describe what is special and unique in the performance of this tt; it's about a couple of things I guess. first; it's noise floor is in a different realm than other turntables I have heard; likely due to the design if it's platter riding on a bed of air and it's lack of any bearing. it just has a guide built into the platter. second; the platter and plinth weight 440 pounds together, and the inertia of that heavy platter impart an authoritative energy to the music beyond description. and it requires a unique motor and controller to be able to properly deal with the weight of the platter.

these motors are 'vintage', are the significantly more able to deal with the weight of this platter than any others, and I am told there are no more of them beyond these.

there are simply no alternatives to finding this type of performance. and that is "why this turntable"..

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Mike sums it up well. These words really got me excited...worth quoting again...at least for my benefit as I am the only one who hasn't heard AS yet but is buying one.

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

as far as trying to describe what is special and unique in the performance of this tt; it's about a couple of things I guess. first; it's noise floor is in a different realm than other turntables I have heard; likely due to the design if it's platter riding on a bed of air and it's lack of any bearing. it just has a guide built into the platter. second; the platter and plinth weight 440 pounds together, and the inertia of that heavy platter impart an authoritative energy to the music beyond description. and it requires a unique motor and controller to be able to properly deal with the weight of the platter.

these motors are 'vintage', are the significantly more able to deal with the weight of this platter than any others, and I am told there are no more of them beyond these.

there are simply no alternatives to finding this type of performance. and that is "why this turntable"..

Exactly what Mike said!

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, so many tts out there.
AF, Kronos, GPA, SME etc etc.
Yep, they look great, sound great, full of tech, epiphanies from their users.
And then there is THIS ONE.
THE ONE.
Beyond inert plinth.
Delicate bed of air.
No bearing.
Beyond inert platter.
Brutal motor to marry that platter and air bed synergy.
Nothing else.
NOTHING ELSE.
And that amazing 70s vibe about the whole thing.
And true limited rarity.
Gentlemen, you are the toast of the analogphile world, and are in for experiences that the word epiphany isn't quite enough to cover.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
It's in the design of the underside of the platter and air flow.

david

As far as I can imagine what's going on, this is a very smart idea, guys, but requiring
a SOTA machining precision! Congrats!

I'm wondering if anyone ever heard /or at least seen/ another great assault on the
ultimate TT design - Verdier Magnum?

http://www.jcverdier.com/ADSL/Platine_Magnum.html

Cheers,

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The AF1 is the same way...not airbearing per se, rather the entire platter floats and only the spindle is there to keep it centered.

Fortunately the patents on air bearing turntables are now expired and this technology is now free domain. See this image of one of the first patent I could locate on air bearing floating turntable platters (1963). Peter Forsell could not patent his turntable , but managed to patent its use in the flywheel, as no one else though about it before!

As far as I can imagine the AS2000 does not have a classical spindle - probably it uses a self centering conical air bearing system - one of the possibilities created by the very high mass platter.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 207

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If I understand the engineering correctly from the bits and pieces in the posts, the AS is an air-bearing design without a spindle. If true, that would be an ideal operating platform - though not new, some high-speed centrifuges work that way. So if I have this right, then congratulations are in order for the engineering feat, but I would also ask this: why then does one need an isolation platform underneath it?

Congratulations also to those who can afford this 'table.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If I understand the engineering correctly from the bits and pieces in the posts, the AS is an air-bearing design without a spindle. If true, that would be an ideal operating platform - though not new, some high-speed centrifuges work that way. So if I have this right, then congratulations are in order for the engineering feat, but I would also ask this: why then does one need an isolation platform underneath it?

I wondered the same thing about isolation, but then I thought about the arm and the resonances that can reach it from the ground/stand/plinth. There has to be NO relative movement between the spindle and pivot: a requirement of any good turntable. If one considers an extreme example of one of these turntables being placed in a moving vehicle on a bumpy road, then one can imagine the platter and the arm not being stable relative to each other. However, given the extreme mass of the system, isolation may not be necessary in real world conditions.

Mike, Ron, Christian and David may arrive at different solutions regarding isolation. This is one of the really intriguing things about this news.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

that is a question. and lots of opinions on the answer. for sure you still have a motor and plinth that holds the tone arms which have no isolation, so resonance will be an issue for them, even though isolation would have degrees less/negligible effect on the platter. at this level of information everything matters.

added note---after posting I see Peter has made the same comment on this subject.

thanks.....but....i'm only speaking for myself when I say.....

'afford' would not be how I, personally, would describe it. 'willing to work longer before retirement' would be how I would put it. and that is how I explained it to my wife. it was a lifestyle choice.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl

Because the air is compressible ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

It's true Ack there's no spindle. IME this tt doesn't need isolation just a solid platform to rest on, we've even had it on not so stable racks and wobbly tables at some shows without any issues but never on a Herzan type apparatus. Mike & Chris already use a Herzan for other tables and believe that this type of isolation has sonic advantages beyond the norm, we'll see.

david

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I wondered the same thing about isolation, but then I thought about the arm and the resonances that can reach it from the ground/stand/plinth. There has to be NO relative movement between the spindle and pivot: a requirement of any good turntable. If one considers an extreme example of one of these turntables being placed in a moving vehicle on a bumpy road, then one can imagine the platter and the arm not being stable relative to each other. However, given the extreme mass of the system, isolation may not be necessary in real world conditions.

Mike, Ron, Christian and David may arrive at different solutions regarding isolation. This is one of the really intriguing things about this news.

and each of our set-ups and bass energy source proximity is different. and three of us live away from the big cities and none live close to freeways/highways or waves on the ocean (significant sources of ground noise).

David's is vintage bass and 30+ feet away.

Ron's tt will be in another room.

Chris uses X-2's without subs (I think) and his speakers are close to his tt's (looks pretty close (3'-4') in the pictures).

and I have 750 pound, 7 foot tall bass towers with -3db at 7hz and -6db at 3hz sitting 7 feet from my tt.

so we all have different degrees of resonance feedback challenges. Chis and I have different concerns than Ron and David.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry if I've missed this.
Is this AS-2000 a refurbed version of an original to have better tolerances, maybe a redesigned air/vacuum pump, and the overengineered motor?
Or is it a ground up redesign using some/all parts?
If it's the former, it was, and remains, a cutting edge one-off.
Is that because this physical bearing-less air bearing was borderline impossible to get right then, so that only one certifiably crazy analog designer would truly attempt it, and none have dared since?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congratulations to all you crazy audiophiles who are getting this turntable. :)

So I understand that the platter floats on air (which sounds wonderful)... does it also have a vacuum system to clamp the LP to the platter?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations to all you crazy audiophiles who are getting this turntable. :)

So I understand that the platter floats on air (which sounds wonderful)... does it also have a vacuum system to clamp the LP to the platter?

thanks Ian.

no. no vacuum with the American Sounds. it does come with it's own solid milled record weight. don't know what it's made of.

personally I prefer no vacuum. from when I had the Rockport Sirius III (with vacuum) sitting next to the NVS with Durand record weight. not a strict A/B comparison obviously as there were many differences. but I just preferred the 'life' of the music without the vacuum. YMMV.

and I don't seem to have many warped pressings. I have owned a flattener for 5 years I've not used once.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing