I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Since this thread deals with air bearing turntables I will ask for help here. My air bearing turntable uses this type of valves and pneumatic fittings and I am needing a few of each of them. Does any one know what are the correct designations of them, and it would be even better, a supplier in Europe? An eBay seller would be great! The ruler scale is mm, although threads are imperial.

Hi Francisco,

The air regulator is a standard low pressure type you can buy everywhere and come in various sizes as do the hose adapters, it depends on your hose ID. You can replace it all with metric ones that are locally available, not critical.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Francisco,

The air regulator is a standard low pressure type you can buy everywhere and come in various sizes as do the hose adapters, it depends on your hose ID. You can replace it all with metric ones that are locally available, not critical.

david

Thanks for your care. After looking a lot in catalogues I managed to find exactly what I needed - in imperial threads, they still rule here for pneumatics :) - in a local shop five minutes away from me.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for your care. After looking a lot in catalogues I managed to find exactly what I needed - in imperial threads, they still rule here for pneumatics :) - in a local shop five minutes away from me.
Glad you found what you needed!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am getting excited for you Christian. Almost like when my wife was about to deliver my boy :D.

Best of luck.

Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am getting excited for you Christian. Almost like when my wife was about to deliver my boy :D.

Best of luck.

Tang

Thanks Tang !!! It will be here Saturday morning. Had to round up a friend or two to help make the 400lb dead lift from the ground to the support table 32” up. I will have to move it again with the entire stereo in 5 or 6 mos...lol
Not looking forward to that....:(

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Tang !!! It will be here Saturday morning. Had to round up a friend or two to help make the 400lb dead lift from the ground to the support table 32” up. I will have to move it again with the entire stereo in 5 or 6 mos...lol
Not looking forward to that....:(

very exciting Christian. we are all waiting to hear how it sounds.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
very exciting Christian. we are all waiting to hear how it sounds.

Actually Christian should have burned his diamond Coralstone before AS arrives sothat there wouldnt be too many burnins. I really hate this process of burning. New tonearm also? Dont think he can say anything with confident in less than a month...unless the Hammer is really that good.

Tang

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Actually Christian should have burned his diamond Coralstone before AS arrives sothat there wouldnt be too many burnins. I really hate this process of burning. New tonearm also? Dont think he can say anything with confident in less than a month...unless the Hammer is really that good.

Tang

Tang

New tonearms & tonearm cables but all you need is 2-3 days with a burn-in LP when not playing music. He should be able to have a clear idea of the sound in a week or less, the Herzan is the only unknown.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
New tonearms & tonearm cables but all you need is 2-3 days with a burn-in LP when not playing music. He should be able to have a clear idea of the sound in a week or less, the Herzan is the only unknown.

david

Good to hear your voice of confident :b.

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We're going to need pictures, lots and lots of pictures!

I am particularly curious about how someone can safely land a more than 100 pound platter with an air bearing structure and no oil spindle without risking damaging it!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Best of luck.

Tang

Tang, if you don't give me one of your turntables I will forward this to her.

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
I am particularly curious about how someone can safely land a more than 100 pound platter with an air bearing structure and no oil spindle without risking damaging it!

FYI, my practical experience :

With a good air bearing TT concept the lifting force in unlimited.... & with (rotating) floor noise near "zero" ....

Some important points:
Lifting in the "nano-meter".
No friction force (near zero).
No oil spindle is necessary .... best is with a real "air bearing spindle" ... or a thee point centering in a TPFE (à la WT TT) .
Air management must be irreproachable (& in silencium): constant pressure, oil & water free ....
Before platter "touch down" ... no TT turn/rotate/spin ... a good brake system (before touch down & restart) is a must.

Its music .... I like it.
Karel

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Tang

Tang

I have no Coralstones broken in. Both are freshly rebuilt and un-used/mounted. I have a nice boron Tiger Eye broken in and ready to mount and a Dynavector XV-1t...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I'm curious too. I have grippy latex rubber coated work gloves that may help for grip with 3 people to lower it safely. That is the only thing I don't like about this TT. Lack of independence.....I need help to move it...lol

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, I can't say for sure about David's new beast but I have helped move turntables with heavy platters before. there are usually threaded inserts in the platter to attach handles for lifting and lowering. Even with the handles, it's a two to 3 person job as you need the brwan and you may also need someone to guide the spindle into the bearing depending on how they are arranged. No stabbing at the hole with a heavy platter and finely machined spindle!! Depending on available space you could even consider suing something like a small engine lift or similar to support either or both pieces.

I am particularly curious about how someone can safely land a more than 100-pound platter with an air bearing structure and no oil spindle without risking damaging it!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well, I can't say for sure about David's new beast but I have helped move turntables with heavy platters before. there are usually threaded inserts in the platter to attach handles for lifting and lowering. Even with the handles, it's a two to 3 person job as you need the brwan and you may also need someone to guide the spindle into the bearing depending on how they are arranged. No stabbing at the hole with a heavy platter and finely machined spindle!! Depending on available space you could even consider suing something like a small engine lift or similar to support either or both pieces.

an engine lift is a good idea for future reference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing