I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Just like this DD table from PBN AUDIO. Once it reaches speed (almost instantaneously) it stays locked in at 33.335, and never moves, .....I mean Never....... View attachment 38264 View attachment 38265

Cheers.....

I love Peter's work on these Denon's, truly impressive, and a real craftsman. I must look to rebuild my DP80 :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe I’m correct in that the new GPA Monaco 2.0 in effect is accurate in speed to 4 decimal places. And that this can indeed be “easily” heard if the claims are to be believed.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good news Christian, great turntable (just heard excellent opinions but have not heard it myself yet) - are you using any center weight with it?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Good news Christian, great turntable (just heard excellent opinions but have not heard it myself yet) - are you using any center weight with it?

Yes...David's weight is excellent. I haven't tried the LP1 yet but have tried no weight (by accident)...the sound suffers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Funny you say that...I just ordered a Koetsu Metal headshell from Japan to try.

Do you want to try an Arche headshell, Christian? I think I have one with silver wire sitting in a box. I can lend it to you. It is small..easy to send.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Pls, PM me your name, address and phone number, Christian.

Tang

Thank you Tang. I will PM shortly.

First impressions of Coralstone with diamond cantilever...wow for first play. Nearly impossible to align cantilever on SME 3012R. It is considerably shorter than the boron type and is slammed low to the record and it’s clear. Accurate overhang is about the most you can hope for.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I'll be curious what you think of the Arche'. Make sure you try the wood and carbon fiber Yamamoto's from Japan.
I use the Yamamoto carbon fiber in one of my systems and it’s easily the best head shell I have tried, however haven’t really tried that many ......
Cheers....

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I also have Audio Tekne in carbon block and is very good.
I have Coralstone diamond on Koetsu Headshell with cable Acrolink 8N,but i am not very happy with Koetsu arm

I will put with Torqueo and Saec 506 to check if is better

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Your coralstone D is very beautiful. Wait to hear how nice it sounds with your new Torqueo.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you Tang. I will PM shortly.

First impressions of Coralstone with diamond cantilever...wow for first play. Nearly impossible to align cantilever on SME 3012R. It is considerably shorter than the boron type and is slammed low to the record and it’s clear. Accurate overhang is about the most you can hope for.

My impression on the Coralstone for the first month was "Ooh, quite nice, different presentation, wide and deep sound stage, not so energetic, what is the buzz?" But now fully burned in, it is really a different story. It pours almost as much energy at me as the Opus1 on SAT. I mean music just radiate. I never heard anyone characterize Coralstone fast, snappy, with excellent high extension. But somehow my Coralstone is like that plus other things that people stereotype it. It was on SAT and now on Axiom. Same characters were shown on both arms except what I described in another thread. I found vtf 1.7 gives me this excellent sound on both arms.

Christian, your Coralstone D on Axiom or SAT with AS should sound extraordinary. One of your arm post is still vacant :D.

Tang

Last edited:

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
I use the Yamamoto carbon fiber in one of my systems and it’s easily the best head shell I have tried, however haven’t really tried that many ......
Cheers....

I HAVE tried many and I agree.....the Yamamoto HS-4 carbon fiber headshell brings out the best in every cartridge I have.....MM,MI and LOMC.
The construction appears identical to the headshell on the SAT arm and I suspect this contributes heavily to the universal acclaim for that tonearm...:eek:

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I HAVE tried many and I agree.....the Yamamoto HS-4 carbon fiber headshell brings out the best in every cartridge I have.....MM,MI and LOMC.
The construction appears identical to the headshell on the SAT arm and I suspect this contributes heavily to the universal acclaim for that tonearm...:eek:

Has anyone tried the Thomas Schick graphite headshell?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
One thing you'll find Chris is that with the SME there's no shortage of options :). The headshell game is another one of those near endless options my only caution here is using non metal ones, not all but they can and often do color the sound the other is to avoid cheap off brand low end products you find on ebay.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also have Audio Tekne in carbon block and is very good.
I have Coralstone diamond on Koetsu Headshell with cable Acrolink 8N,but i am not very happy with Koetsu arm

I will put with Torqueo and Saec 506 to check if is better

Simply get a FR 64s got your schopper. It's low cost

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing