I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
One thing you'll find Chris is that with the SME there's no shortage of options :). The headshell game is another one of those near endless options my only caution here is using non metal ones, not all but they can and often do color the sound the other is to avoid cheap off brand low end products you find on ebay.

david

Good advice. I did order a CF Yamamoto....still need to figure out the best lead wires for it. Tang is lending me another one and I have a total of 7 SME S2-R headshells. My first display case of 10 is almost full when SPU 90 arrives :D. I'm keeping the Coralstone Diamond on arm 1 (SME) for the near future...still dialing it in. I have to use the body for overhang alignment as the cantilever is all but obstructed by how low the cart rides and its practically invisible..lol

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I HAVE tried many and I agree.....the Yamamoto HS-4 carbon fiber headshell brings out the best in every cartridge I have.....MM,MI and LOMC.
The construction appears identical to the headshell on the SAT arm and I suspect this contributes heavily to the universal acclaim for that tonearm...:eek:

Which head shell leads do you like with Yamamoto CF?

Cheers.....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 303

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Added a Benz-Micro LP-S micro ridge to the stable. Always wanted to try one and the price was right ! Looks like I will have to order another 10 count bayonet mount cart display case. I plan on adding another SME 3012-R on the AS2000. The third SME arm on this table. A Graham Elite 12” goes in the 4th spot.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Added a Benz-Micro LP-S micro ridge to the stable. Always wanted to try one and the price was right ! Looks like I will have to order another 10 count bayonet mount cart display case. I plan on adding another SME 3012-R on the AS2000. The third SME arm on this table. A Graham Elite 12” goes in the 4th spot.

I think you may like the sound of the LP-S with some female vocalists if the recording is a little hot. I have found that some cartridges that are very detailed can tend to exaggerate the vocals a bit. The LP-S can tame it since it is a lush sound.

I am curious what your impressions are once you get a chance to mount and listen to it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The LP-S MR may actually be my single favorite cartridge. (I don't know because I've never directly compared it to the ZYX UNIverse Premium.)

If the ZYX UNIverse Premium is too low in output for the Io, I would switch to the LP-S MR without hesitation.

I will be very curious to read your impressions comparing your current cartridges to the Benz Micro.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
The LP-S MR may actually be my single favorite cartridge. (I don't know because I've never directly compared it to the ZYX UNIverse Premium.)If the ZYX UNIverse Premium is too low in output for the Io, I would switch to the LP-S MR without hesitation.

I will be very curious to read your impressions comparing your current cartridges to the Benz Micro.

If you like the Benz LPS you might like Holger Stein’s Aventurin 6 cartridge even more, based on the Benz motor. Distributed by Walter Swanbon at FidelisAV.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0714/stein_music_aventurin_6_mc_artridge.htm

http://www.fidelisav.com/stein-music-aventurin-6-mc-cartridge/

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I use the Yamamoto carbon fiber in one of my systems and it’s easily the best head shell I have tried, however haven’t really tried that many ......
Cheers....

For carbon fiber headshell I prefer the Oyaide. More finely layered construction than the Yamamoto and includes 5N silver leads, though a little more expensive.

Attachments

• 42AB819C-AD46-417C-B473-DC2673CFF466.jpeg
    42AB819C-AD46-417C-B473-DC2673CFF466.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 394

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Picked up a new outboard tranny. Bob's Devices. Really sounds good and quiet/immune from hum. The ground lift switch makes a difference.
I'm running my Lyra Olympos SL Mono (.15mV) through it, into the Lamm LP1 MM input. Switchable for 1:20 (26 dB gain) or 1:40 (32 dB gain). Excellent match.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 341

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I also just purchased a Bob's Devices 1:20 to use with my LAMM preamp. I have a high gain step up in my LAMM so I needed something for higher gain MC's. I think Bob's are a phenomenal value.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
After such a big build up, I was expecting more breathless reporting back from Christian. But other than a handful of posts re great early experience, nothing.
Either the AS is getting him one step closer to God, and this conversation can’t be interrupted, or something else.
C’mon Christian, we need to hear more on the outcome, not just the big tease of the build up.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
For carbon fiber headshell I prefer the Oyaide. More finely layered construction than the Yamamoto and includes 5N silver leads, though a little more expensive.

That's a very good headshell..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
After such a big build up, I was expecting more breathless reporting back from Christian. But other than a handful of posts re great early experience, nothing.
Either the AS is getting him one step closer to God, and this conversation can’t be interrupted, or something else.

I’ve been spending so much time learning and listening that I haven’t had the time nor the motivation to collect my thoughts and write an AS2000 daily diary ;).

I’m very happy I purchased this turntable. It is my new reference without a doubt. I intend to keep the TechDas...which is also a fine performer.

There really isn’t much more to be said other than I think it’s the best turntable to have ever graced the planet. Based on its internal air bearingless design that one cannot see and only imagine from the outside, I’m am confident this beast will not be surpassed by anyone, ever. Sorry I can’t share more detail.

PS: being provocative as I have not heard many of the great turntables of yore. David did his homework on this one.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why keep the Tec Das and play any lps on it, if the AS is the best by a margin?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing