Esoteric SACD re-masterings

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have read enthusiastic critics on Esoteric SACD re-masters of Decca and other great classic performances. How do you rank these re-mastering in terms of sound quality? Unfortunately these SACDs go for very high prices nowadays.

I am particularly interested in the Kuijken's Mozart Flute Quartets (Accent) that I have owned since long.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have the Esoteric remastering of the Decca Dvorak 9 conducted by Istvan Kertesz and Vienna Philarmonic.
Probably the best of all my sacds.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have the Esoteric remastering of the Decca Dvorak 9 conducted by Istvan Kertesz and Vienna Philarmonic.
Probably the best of all my sacds.

Thanks - it seems to be a great SACD. Esoteric also released a limited edition LP from this re-master and a sealed copy now sells over euro 500!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you.
Not that I have any interest in selling my sacd but you make me curious as to what it's worth.
Do you have any hard info on that?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you.
Not that I have any interest in selling my sacd but you make me curious as to what it's worth.

You should put it in the safe - it is very scarce now, and there is a guy in Japan asking around 2000 euros for his copy and another in eBay asking GBP 800!

Five years ago SACDs were almost being given away in sales - nowadays they are collectible and reach very high prices. At some time I have owned the full collection of the famous Mark Levinson recordings SACDs (the originals, not the Red Rose later ones) - unfortunately I offered them to the guy who got my Krell SACD3 player. Probably they would be worth now a lot more than what I could get for the player.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You should put it in the safe - it is very scarce now, and there is a guy in Japan asking around 2000 euros for his copy and another in eBay asking GBP 800!

Five years ago SACDs were almost being given away in sales - nowadays they are collectible and reach very high prices. At some time I have owned the full collection of the famous Mark Levinson recordings SACDs - unfortunately I offered them to the guy who got my Krell SACD3 player. Probably they would be worth now a lot more than what I could get for the player.

I suppose I should go through my thousand or so SACD's that are just sitting there......not sure what I have of value.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I suppose I should go through my thousand or so SACD's that are just sitting there......not sure what I have of value.

Surely a lot more than you can imagine ... Don't you have a SACD DSD spinner?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

Five years ago SACDs were almost being given away in sales - nowadays they are collectible and reach very high prices. At some time I have owned the full collection of the famous Mark Levinson recordings SACDs (the originals, not the Red Rose later ones) - unfortunately I offered them to the guy who got my Krell SACD3 player. Probably they would be worth now a lot more than what I could get for the player.

Thanks microstrip
I remember thinking it was expensive when I bought it but what a good buy it has turned out to be and it sounds fabulous every time I play it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have read enthusiastic critics on Esoteric SACD re-masters of Decca and other great classic performances. How do you rank these re-mastering in terms of sound quality? Unfortunately these SACDs go for very high prices nowadays.

I am particularly interested in the Kuijken's Mozart Flute Quartets (Accent) that I have owned since long.

I have that particular Esoteric SACD...i think the redbook is great on it. I own the mahler 5th (Barbirolli) also amazing.

Reactions: tima

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you.

would be most interested in finding one (at not a crazy price)!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
no. not since the Playback Designs departed.

but I do have about 2500 1xdsd files which include most of my SACD disc music.

Great. I assembled a system to rip SACD's with a Panasonic DVD player, but it did not work first time and the project is now idling ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have that particular Esoteric SACD...i think the redbook is great on it. I own the mahler 5th (Barbirolli) also amazing.

Good to know ... ;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Great. I assembled a system to rip SACD's with a Panasonic DVD player, but it did not work first time and the project is now idling ...

I have 'helpers' to get it done for me, so I have not tried to set up my own ripping. and I've purchased a number of 1xdsd files. with the SGM and MSB Select II I think the files are every bit the equal of the discs. but at their best the discs are very fine sounding.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Agreed on both counts,....legendary performances chosen specifically by Esoteric for their recording quality to begin with taken to their ultimate playback level. The price on the new/used market when they are OOP however is crazy so get them while you can in cases where something is still available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing