MQA: Chicken S$$t to confront critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Afraid I can't just take for face value someone elses files against the MQA ones. Would need to know it was from the same source material and I can only guarantee that if it was from my own library of music

Give me a break. so you think it was a ruse of a demo? i guess I'll never visit you're room at a show when you aren't playing my music.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Afraid I can't just take for face value someone elses files against the MQA ones. Would need to know it was from the same source material and I can only guarantee that if it was from my own library of music

Bob Stuart can take Mark Waldreps files and convert them anytime they want. Mark will make them available in both forms.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
+1... The loss of credibility not allowing CD vs MQA comparisons is going to be tough to recover from and considering the multitude of reports that MQA "sometimes" sounds better vs non-MQA makes me have to assume the MQA demo tracks were cherry-picked. (...)

I can not understand such argument. We have now been told there is currently material enough, even freely available, to carry such comparisons. Any one having an MQA certified DAC can do them. But people prefer to go on commenting audio gossip and other people opinions than listening and posting their own facts and opinions.

A few months ago, having read a lot of technical arguments and opinions against DSD I was not particularly interested in the format, and did not have an opinion or cared about it. However after listening to SACDs in my system for sometime I started valuating DSD and today I would be sorry if my DAC did not have native DSD playback. Surely my opinions are limited to my gear, but I have no problem admitting that experience changed my views about the subject.

IMHO, in this particular case of MQA, having an open mind means having open ears. There are too many emotions and interests behind the arguments being shown.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
I can not understand such argument. We have now been told there is currently material enough, even freely available, to carry such comparisons. Any one having an MQA certified DAC can do them. But people prefer to go on commenting audio gossip and other people opinions than listening and posting their own facts and opinions.

A few months ago, having read a lot of technical arguments and opinions against DSD I was not particularly interested in the format, and did not have an opinion or cared about it. However after listening to SACDs in my system for sometime I started valuating DSD and today I would be sorry if my DAC did not have native DSD playback. Surely my opinions are limited to my gear, but I have no problem admitting that experience changed my views about the subject.

IMHO, in this particular case of MQA, having an open mind means having open ears. There are too many emotions and interests behind the arguments being shown.
Honestly, this post shows how really uninformed you are.

And to compare DSD, a real recording format, with fabricated marketing garbage like MQA, is really beyond belief.

This may be the post where I have seen the most ridiculous false equivalency in the 3 years since MQA started their propaganda.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

It's a very logical argument... yours otoh has some flaws... When MQA came out they would not allow comparisons. It's as simple as that. Not a great way to introduce a new format imo.

AFAIK, when SACD/DSD came out this was not the case. I've been listening to DSD and/or upsampled PCM>DSD for some years now.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Honestly, this post shows how really uninformed you are.

And to compare DSD, a real recording format, with fabricated marketing garbage like MQA, is really beyond belief.

This may be the post where I have seen the most ridiculous false equivalency in the 3 years since MQA started their propaganda.

You too.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017

Ya think???

Of course I do. We are going to destroy MQA. It is utter bullshit and some industry participants and the press have bought in
in the hope it will save a dying industry. Ain't gonna happen as you people say.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
It's a very logical argument... yours otoh has some flaws... When MQA came out they would not allow comparisons. It's as simple as that. Not a great way to introduce a new format imo.

AFAIK, when SACD/DSD came out this was not the case. I've been listening to DSD and/or upsampled PCM>DSD for some years now.
Yes, and not to mention the fact that DSD is a REAL TECHNOLOGY.

You can go out buy your own DSD recorder.

It is not a concept dishonestly being marketed as a product.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Give me a break. so you think it was a ruse of a demo? i guess I'll never visit you're room at a show when you aren't playing my music.

Not a ruse, but in order to truly compare formats you have to know that it is was extracted in the same manner (for a download). As for redbook (which they should have allowed demos given it is 16bit) that is certainly not going to be as close to 24bit. Not that really matters I have heard redbook blow away many high rez downloads since most times it is just upsampled from redbook anyway.

In order for this to be on even playing field I know that I have certain ripping procedures that keep all of my files consistent and as native to the source I am pulling the data from. Nothing to do with it being "my music". Dont care so long as it is truly a fair game.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Seems you have an agenda.

No - telling me he would toss me out of a room is an insulting, personal attack.

he disparages all opinions, uses profanity, and is a huge waste of forum time. i'm sure its not just me and that he's been reported many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing