MQA: Chicken S$$t to confront critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
MQA Avoiding Confrontation:

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6046

"MQA continues to spin their thread of sonic improvements through “origami” and removing “time smear” with high-end equipment manufacturers, audiophile reviewers, and streaming services. Among professional audio engineers and equipment designers, the jury is still out on the merits of MQA. I’ve made my position pretty clear over the past couple of years — they have developed solution to a non problem. There is no need to enhance fidelity beyond high-resolution PCM, FLAC encodes are DRM free and open to everyone and deliver better compression, and virtually all tracks consumed on disc or via streams aren’t high-resolution to start with and therefore can’t possibly benefit from MQA. Not to mention the minor detail that Robert Stuart and his team offered to encode a number of my own high-resolution tracks, lend me an MQA capable DAC, and let me evaluate the before and after for myself. I uploaded a bunch of AIX Records files almost 3 years ago and stopped pestering Robert and other company representatives many months ago. I gave up."

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
I have a Mark Waldrep filter to. It puts his blog posts into my inbox so I can read the musings of a rational mind. Same with Archimago and NWAVGuy when he was still publishing.

Same for Olive and Toole.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
I have a Mark Waldrep filter to. It puts his blog posts into my inbox so I can read the musings of a rational mind. Same with Archimago and NWAVGuy when he was still publishing.

Same for Olive and Toole.

That is crazy talk. ;) Rational minds? That is a lonely club in this hobby/industry.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The Mark Waldrep article indeed seems rational and reasonable to me.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
I think it's telling that he delivered Bob Stuart his master tracks three years ago with a promise that they would be transcoded into MQA but never happened.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
When MQA was released at a show in LA they declined to allow CD side by side comparisons....

So far there have not been any SBS where the source and its mastering has been the same but with the MQA magic added for public consumption and to disprove non-believers.

The fact that the music industry moguls have added MQA just means they see profit in it. How much care has there been from them to get the best quality delivered to the under user or allow for formats other than PCM?

This is just another nail for me in the MQA coffin. We as audiophiles LOVE comparing everything and it is what we do. Not hard, requires little preparation, and if it is as good as it markets to be then it should be the easiest close in history. But MQA was not designed for destined for the audiophile and will grow to be a new container that promises better sound to get you to buy your 18th version of Kind of Blue.

I am not knocking MQA per say and I am not a detractor for it, but I am not finding or being compelled to believe in it either. Just my .02

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The LAAS demo with Sunny's Components played back a comparison of files with non-MQA then MQA. I'm not sure how much fairer it could get.

When MQA was released at a show in LA they declined to allow CD side by side comparisons....

So far there have not been any SBS where the source and its mastering has been the same but with the MQA magic added for public consumption and to disprove non-believers.

The fact that the music industry moguls have added MQA just means they see profit in it. How much care has there been from them to get the best quality delivered to the under user or allow for formats other than PCM?

This is just another nail for me in the MQA coffin. We as audiophiles LOVE comparing everything and it is what we do. Not hard, requires little preparation, and if it is as good as it markets to be then it should be the easiest close in history. But MQA was not designed for destined for the audiophile and will grow to be a new container that promises better sound to get you to buy your 18th version of Kind of Blue.

I am not knocking MQA per say and I am not a detractor for it, but I am not finding or being compelled to believe in it either. Just my .02

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
These threads are getting increasingly frustrating and ridiculous.

I sat in on an MQA vs red-book demo about 18 months ago. However, it's clear that there's no point even attempting to discuss this on WBF as things stand, which is a shame indeed.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The LAAS demo with Sunny's Components played back a comparison of files with non-MQA then MQA. I'm not sure how much fairer it could get.

Afraid I can't just take for face value someone elses files against the MQA ones. Would need to know it was from the same source material and I can only guarantee that if it was from my own library of music

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Afraid I can't just take for face value someone elses files against the MQA ones. Would need to know it was from the same source material and I can only guarantee that if it was from my own library of music

+1... The loss of credibility not allowing CD vs MQA comparisons is going to be tough to recover from and considering the multitude of reports that MQA "sometimes" sounds better vs non-MQA makes me have to assume the MQA demo tracks were cherry-picked.

It's on MQA to provide information and prove they have fair demos otherwise Occam's razor dictates this is a way to distribute music with DRM in a lossy format and has little to nothing to do with improving digital sound quality.

I'm still open to the possibility MQA is legit, but how can you possibly botch the intro worse than they have?

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
+1... The loss of credibility not allowing CD vs MQA comparisons is going to be tough to recover from and considering the multitude of reports that MQA "sometimes" sounds better vs non-MQA makes me have to assume the MQA demo tracks were cherry-picked.

It's on MQA to provide information and prove they have fair demos otherwise Occam's razor dictates this is a way to distribute music with DRM in a lossy format and has little to nothing to do with improving digital sound quality.

I'm still open to the possibility MQA is legit, but how can you possibly botch the intro worse than they have?

Let me repeat, the comparison should NEVER EVER be against Redbook.

MQA claims to encode 24 bit mastered files. It should only be compared to the corresponding hirez download.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017

I sat in on an MQA vs red-book demo about 18 months ago. However, it's clear that there's no point even attempting to discuss this on WBF as things stand, which is a shame indeed.

Can you elaborate?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

MQA claims to encode 24 bit mastered files. It should only be compared to the corresponding hirez download.

I have to agree.

My take is the more instructive A/B will not be either a comparison of an MQA file through an MQA converter with decoding versus non-decoding, nor the Redbook version versus the MQA version, but the original 24/96 non-MQA source file through the same MQA converter versus the MQA file with decoding.

That comparison has already been done apropos content mastered by the original Mastering Engineer, for whatever that may be worth, here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12407154-post218.html

Best,

853guy

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Why is that? I would welcome you sharing your impressions of that demo in these threads? Some may criticize the demo if you describe it, but others might find your thoughts quite valuable. I encourage you to share them with the readers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

going forward I will be looking at hi rez downloads I already own to compare to MQA files i play, and then report. I'm not going to worry about accessing files I don't already have, but when I have them I will comment.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Why is that? I would welcome you sharing your impressions of that demo in these threads? Some may criticize the demo if you describe it, but others might find your thoughts quite valuable. I encourage you to share them with the readers.

Seconded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing