Reviewer Video Profile: Michael Fremer

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
MF, several times in the vid, indicates the presentation pertains to his "work space" and isn't a "hang-out" (paraphrase).
As the former, I would expect Fremer to have the work space environment dialed-in, as much as feasible, and recognize the system's
-- room inclusive -- limitations. I suspect SPL is a critical parameter for those in professional audio...I'm curious what SPL levels Fremer experiences
when listening, critically.
:confused:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great video. I'm fine with Mike taking a lot of credit for keeping the vinyl record business going during the dark years.

But I did notice all cables were not owned. #shocker

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Anyone noticed the TD AF3 on the side?
he didn't present it, not as a own or not... its the only thing around he didn't referred to... i'm puzzled.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm not into the MQA thing and, but quite frankly have some difficulty believing in all that would need to happen behind the scenes to have made this a "shill" operation. That point withstanding, I can say that MF was the reason I got back into vinyl.

Lastly, in a previous life, I had an opportunity to see a number of reviewer's listening spaces. Many I would consider "working spaces". I can think of only a few who had dedicated spaces of sufficient size as those you see from forum members here.

I do like the idea of the reviewer videos. Hopefully we will get to see all of the key reviewer rooms.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have gotten to know Michael and his wife Sharon the past few years and they are really good people. He's been one of my favorite reviewers for a long-term and I think he does deserve lots of credit for starting and moving along the analog revival. As far as I can tell, his reviews are not biased by any equipment on loan.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
He looks human, like a normal guy from this planet. ...A very simpathetic, good spirit happy type of guy in general. ...A record aficionado and collector, a guy who loves his job and life. ...A great neighbor to live close by. ...A unique human being with good humor and openness. ...Someone who find solace and relaxation in his passions. ...An unshakable and honest guy, without stress and amicable, very. ...The type of guy I would love to have for my president.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have gotten to know Michael and his wife Sharon the past few years and they are really good people. He's been one of my favorite reviewers for a long-term and I think he does deserve lots of credit for starting and moving along the analog revival. As far as I can tell, his reviews are not biased by any equipment on loan.

+1

I agree fully with Lee.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think Michael's video is totally great! I hope this is the beginning of a trend! (I would love to see Jonathan Valin go piece of equipment by piece of equipment in his listening room and learn what he actually paid for with his own money.)

How much more candor and openness and honesty (and humor) could you hope for from Michael?

I read Michael's reviews. I have chatted with Michael several times at various audio shows. I have enjoyed some e-mail correspondence with him from time to time. Tinka and I were fortunate to be invited to a leisurely dinner with Michael this year.

I think Michael is extremely experienced in all areas of analog audio; is very intellectually honest; is a talented writer able to convey and make explicable nuances; and is genuinely helpful in that whether or not you share his tastes in audio his preferences are consistent and his reviews help you understand how equipment sounds.

What more could you possibly ask of any reviewer?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Entertaining video, and cool to see the "workspace".

Critic's politics are interesting. "Believes" in cables, but doesn't invest. Smart man.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..the impersonation of the stroke victim was a nice touch

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Entertaining video, and cool to see the "workspace".

Critic's politics are interesting. "Believes" in cables, but doesn't invest. Smart man.

I suspect he doesn't buy cables since they change so often and the manufacturers send him cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing