Reviewer Video Profile: Michael Fremer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've always kinda liked Mike, but his retraction of a review he posted on a small component at the insistent behest of big rivals left a bad taste TBH.
He didn't feel that independent and free spirited to me after that one.

which one?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Ked, I'll PM you

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Michael Fremer does not care that much about digital. So he could care less about the MQA fight. Of course he is not up on the whole digital thing as he does not really care that much for it. I know he was at my place 6 months ago and told me so.

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
Michael Fremer does not care that much about digital. So he could care less about the MQA fight. Of course he is not up on the whole digital thing as he does not really care that much for it. I know he was at my place 6 months ago and told me so.

Well, Jeffy, if he does not care about digital and does not keep up on it, why is he reviewing and recommending $18,000 DAC that did not
sound all that good and measured poorly, and who's sole feature is that it decodes MQA?

I know the print magazines are teetering on the edge, but is his job security that in question that he is making him self look
very foolish with a mindless MQA shill, of which he knows absolutely nothing about..but he DOES know he would not want a DAC
without it. Ultterly laughable.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mauidan, Thank you for posting this. It's pretty high resolution on my monitor for what seems to be a quick handheld interview. Was anyone else bothered by the barking of his dog as much as I was? I had trouble hearing MF above the noise floor level at the beginning of the video. That was even more annoying than the pops and ticks on some of my beloved LPs.

I also found it quite interesting that he kept describing his listening space as a "working" space rather than a "hang out" space. As such, it discourages visitors and their subsequent opinions about the sound of his system. I do appreciate his enthusiasm for vinyl and consider him largely responsible for keeping the format visible in the press, especially his outspoken opinions during the advent of digital.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Well, Jeffy, if he does not care about digital and does not keep up on it, why is he reviewing and recommending $18,000 DAC that did not
sound all that good and measured poorly, and who's sole feature is that it decodes MQA?

I know the print magazines are teetering on the edge, but is his job security that in question that he is making him self look
very foolish with a mindless MQA shill, of which he knows absolutely nothing about..but he DOES know he would not want a DAC
without it. Ultterly laughable.

Fremer is hardly a shill. The verbage used is that he wasn;t ready to buy a DAC that didn;t have MQA, which to me says that the MQA DAC might have sounds better as a result of everything so he felt compelled to wait and not that MQA was the great equalizer.

I have a number of folks that have heard great dacs and are in wait mode to see how MQA plays out. Nothing wrong with that

MQA Truth

Banned
Sep 13, 2017
Fremer is hardly a shill. The verbage used is that he wasn;t ready to buy a DAC that didn;t have MQA, which to me says that the MQA DAC might have sounds better as a result of everything so he felt compelled to wait and not that MQA was the great equalizer.

I have a number of folks that have heard great dacs and are in wait mode to see how MQA plays out. Nothing wrong with that

Sorry, that makes no sense.

MQA was the golden scepter that awoke his digital heart...yeh sure...please.

The fact that there are people who are waiting to purchase based on how "MQA plays out" is exactly
what the negative effect of this scam is. TAS and Stereophile have convinced the gullible that this may
be an essential "feature".

Now you understand why 18 DAC makers have signed on and paid to fees, and sent the blueprint of their
DACs to Bob Stuart. Fear.

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

The fact that there are people who are waiting to purchase based on how "MQA plays out" is exactly
what the negative effect of this scam is. TAS and Stereophile have convinced the gullible that this may
be an essential "feature.

Now you understand why 18 DAC makers have signed on and paid to fees, and sent the blueprint of their

While I am no fan of MQA as I have yet to hear its merits, I don't agree with your position on MQA or those adopting it. You don't seem to be a chap that considers the opinions of others so lets just leave it at that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

be an essential "feature.

MQA Truth, I welcome your participation in these threads on WBF because you bring an alternative point of view, and you appear to know some inside information about both the technology, politics and incentives/motivations behind those driving the format. However, I find it difficult to assess the value of your comments because of the lack of context surrounding your identity and industry affiliations. Many members here share their audio backgrounds and system, and they often have a long history of posts to which one can refer. Together, these provide a context by which we can understand the level of their experience. This, in turn, helps us to better value their contributions.

Do you care to tell us a bit more about yourself, how it is that you seem to know "facts" about MQA, and why you have joined the forum to share your views with the membership?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
MQA Truth, I welcome your participation in these threads on WBF because you bring an alternative point of view, and you appear to know some inside information about both the technology, politics and incentives/motivations behind those driving the format. However, I find it difficult to assess the value of your comments because of the lack of context surrounding your identity and industry affiliations. Many members here share their audio backgrounds and system, and they often have a long history of posts to which one can refer. Together, these provide a context by which we can understand the level of their experience. This, in turn, helps us to better value their contributions.

Do you care to tell us a bit more about yourself, how it is that you seem to know "facts" about MQA, and why you have joined the forum to share your views with the membership?

+ 1 well put Peter

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

be an essential "feature".

Sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me...

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
What? :eek: No tape?! :p;)
Seriously, thanks for posting the vid. :cool:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
What? :eek: No tape?! :p;)
Seriously, thanks for posting the vid. :cool:

+1

How can you be taken seriously as an analog fan boy, and not have tape ?

On a more serious note

I must say, his set up, is "challenged "

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would have liked to see a camera view from the listening seat. His enthusiasm for vinyl is infectious. I just wonder how he is able to move large speakers, or eventually a new water tank, into that space. Such videos are a great idea. I'd love to see more of each of the major reviewers. This one gives some nice insight into MF's personality and a bit on context to his reviews.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
His enthusiasm for vinyl is infectious. I.

This is very true. He just wades through all the hifi with just a touch of commentary for each component. Once he pulls out an LP and starts talking you see where his real love is and the passion he has for it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is very true. He just wades through all the hifi with just a touch of commentary for each component. Once he pulls out an LP and starts talking you see where his real love is and the passion he has for it.

I don't think that's so true. MF has shown a very strong interest in gear for many years. He may love vinyl more, but he's certainly not dismissing his gear in that video. IMHO.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I thought that was hilarious about the furry people and his movie.

I've seen them walking around downtown Boulder in costume but never knew it was some kind of nationwide fetish thing, lol....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

I've seen them walking around downtown Boulder in costume but never knew it was some kind of nationwide fetish thing, lol....

that year at the Newport Show that Michael referred to when the Furry People were also there, I stayed in the Hotel Irvine where they were too. pretty friendly group. never had heard of them before.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing