Why does Wilson wire internally with Transparent cables? Should Wilson owners use Transparent also?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Yes, I have a deep background in economics and behavioral sciences. I just look at the incentives of the players and the subsequent actions of the players, and it is absolutely disgusting...

I ask this respectfully as an academician with no purpose other than learning about your "deep background" in these areas. Do you have any degrees? Advanced degrees? Other relevant training?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Why are you into high end audio at all?

You continuously accuse "The Industry" (as if we all get together and plot about how to best screw our customers) of all this ridiculous stuff? Tell you what, if you want to know why "The Industry" does what it does, look in the mirror. Far from any nefarious plots, we simply try to offer what people want.

Why not just buy a pair of JBL M2 with Crown amps and be satisfied you have the best system on the planet and don't support the "disgustingly dirty industry"? Do you just enjoy coming here and insulting everyone? I honestly don't get it...

I am into high end because I enjoy the luxury of good sound. Same reason that every one is into it, whether they can honestly state it or not. Look, like I said above, it is a dirty industry, but there are many principle centered guys like Dave Wilson and his wife in it, and I am sure many others.

What you and Metaphacts, being manufacturers, don't understand is what a huge pain in the a$$ it is for normal fans like me, who would rather watch their kids smile and listen to them laugh, than to audition "best" gear that is not to their taste, wasting precious time and money... That, of course, can easily be resolved by reviewers comparing experiences of different gear so fans can find the experience they are looking for... But as I mentioned above, the incentives of "audio journalists" and fans do not align....

caesar

May 30, 2010
I ask this respectfully as an academician with no purpose other than learning about your "deep background" in these areas. Do you have any degrees? Advanced degrees? Other relevant training?

I had the fortune of studying at a business school that has the most Nobel laureates in economics... so I see right through the crap going on in our subjective industry, and how guys use that subjectivity for their gains...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What you and Metaphacts, being manufacturers, don't understand is what a huge pain in the a$$ it is for normal fans like me, who would rather watch their kids smile and listen to them laugh, than to audition "best" gear that is not to their taste, wasting precious time and money... That, of course, can easily be resolved by reviewers comparing experiences of different gear so fans can find the experience they are looking for... But as I mentioned above, the incentives of "audio journalists" and fans do not align....

A reviewer doesn't find ideal matches, a dealer does (or should). Reviewers evaluate (or try to) a single component against others, and write about their impressions.
That's why brands like Wilson Audio rely on their dealers to do this "field work" for them.
You never once mention the help of a dealer, while all the time you seem to imply the reviewer must be providing all the help in your decisions. Seems to me like you're misplacing their roles in the whole chain...

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

Your presumptions are interesting.

BTW, who wouldn't rather watch their kids smile and listen to them laugh than waste time?

caesar

May 30, 2010

BTW, who wouldn't rather watch their kids smile and listen to them laugh than waste time?

Simple example: read to Harley bash your silk tweeter in favor of magico q7!

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
..What you and Metaphacts, being manufacturers, don't understand is what a huge pain in the a$$ it is for normal fans like me, who would rather watch their kids smile and listen to them laugh, than to audition "best" gear that is not to their taste, wasting precious time and money... That, of course, can easily be resolved by reviewers comparing experiences of different gear so fans can find the experience they are looking for... But as I mentioned above, the incentives of "audio journalists" and fans do not align....

Simple example: read to Harley bash your silk tweeter in favor of magico q7!

My comment had nothing to do with reviewers but to your broad brush stroke that as a manufacturer one can have only the view/understanding that you ascribe to them.

caesar

May 30, 2010
My comment had nothing to do with reviewers but to your broad brush stroke that as a manufacturer one can have only the view/understanding that you ascribe to them.

Let me provide you with a couple of concrete examples of "screw the audio fan" culture created by guys like "worthless" robert harley, that may not be apparent to you as a manufacturer:

1. "Sterile" Jon Valin and "worthless" Robert Harley review magico q series and call it the "best". Yet they fail to identify the magico Q sonic signature as one of lacking bass energy while accentuating the upper midrange / lower treble. (Fremer actually gets most of it right in his review, but even he is politically correct.) They only recognize this sonic signature when magico q7 v2 comes out. At the same time they call wilson tweeter colored ("as you like it", using "sterile" Jon's lingo), as harly had wilson alexandria as his reference for a while. Seems like an ethically shady practice to me...

Yet as a result, people waste precious time and money to hear the magico q series, when all these guys needed to do were to compare the experiences and let fans decide what experience they are interested in.

(2) "worthless" robert haley reviews $125K dcs vivaldi and calls it the "best". 2 months later he reviews $15K berkeley reference dac and calls it the best. he never compares the 2, nor he compares it other brands in the same price cohort. Because even a blind pig finds an acorn once it a while, people try to hunt the berkeley ref, taking time to find dealers, audition it in their system, potentially banging up their gear while hooking up, taking back to the dealer. It turns out the the Berkeley reference dac is severely analytical. "worthless" harley admits that v1 of berkeley ref dac lacks liquidity in reviewing v2 of that model.

If "worthless" harley", in concern for the fans instead of his own taste and goals, had done his due diligence, guys like me would have more time to spend with their kids, watch them laugh, not get frustrated, not chance banging up their gear, and enjoy more music....

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is and continues to be caesar's MO.

+1

I have learned nothing interesting in those threads. I would rather OP spent his time describing his audio experiences - that would be at least of value to some ppl.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Let me provide you with a couple of concrete examples of "screw the audio fan" culture created by guys like "worthless" robert harley, that may not be apparent to you as a manufacturer:

1. "Sterile" Jon Valin and "worthless" Robert Harley review magico q series and call it the "best". Yet they fail to identify the magico Q sonic signature as one of lacking bass energy while accentuating the upper midrange / lower treble. (Fremer actually gets most of it right in his review, but even he is politically correct.) They only recognize this sonic signature when magico q7 v2 comes out. At the same time they call wilson tweeter colored ("as you like it", using "sterile" Jon's lingo), as harly had wilson alexandria as his reference for a while. Seems like an ethically shady practice to me...

Yet as a result, people waste precious time and money to hear the magico q series, when all these guys needed to do were to compare the experiences and let fans decide what experience they are interested in.

(2) "worthless" robert haley reviews $125K dcs vivaldi and calls it the "best". 2 months later he reviews $15K berkeley reference dac and calls it the best. he never compares the 2, nor he compares it other brands in the same price cohort. Because even a blind pig finds an acorn once it a while, people try to hunt the berkeley ref, taking time to find dealers, audition it in their system, potentially banging up their gear while hooking up, taking back to the dealer. It turns out the the Berkeley reference dac is severely analytical. "worthless" harley admits that v1 of berkeley ref dac lacks liquidity in reviewing v2 of that model.

If "worthless" harley", in concern for the fans instead of his own taste and goals, had done his due diligence, guys like me would have more time to spend with their kids, watch them laugh, not get frustrated, not chance banging up their gear, and enjoy more music....

Caesar,

Can you write about reviewers and audio journalists without insulting them? IMHO you are misrepresenting their reviews isolating small aspects that you perpetuate, but I refuse to debate in such hate ambient.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Caesar, You bring up some interesting points.
I just finished reading the 'Ode' to Rockport speakers and specifically the new Lyra- by our friend Harley in the latest episode of Absolute Sound. While I am sure the new Lyra is a good speaker...as it should very well be for its asking price of a paltry $169K!!
I VERY seriously doubt that the hyperbole that Harley attributes to it can be that accurate. Unless, that is, your aural requirements are NOT that defined, or your total determinants for excellence and/or total superiority are not that specific, or both. I think that to the neophyte, most all
high end sound probably sounds sublime, to the more experienced, it becomes a question of how much is in fact lacking. Harley strikes me as someone who either a) cannot really determine the total picture...or b) has an ulterior motive that he fails to disclose or c) truly believes that every great sounding speaker of the hour is now without flaws!!!
The unfortunate aspect of his reviewing style, IMHO, is that the guy off the street with little experience in listening for themselves, tends to pick up the magazine and read the hyperbole laden review and then goes out and probably suffers the consequence of plunking down their easily earned cash on a product that is flawed. Hopefully said flaw works into their realm of acceptance, LOL. If not, we typically see the item on A'gon within a short period of time..and at a major discount in price....Hmmm, maybe there's something to Harley's reviewing style after all!!!:rolleyes::D

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I had the fortune of studying at a business school that has the most Nobel laureates in economics... so I see right through the crap going on in our subjective industry, and how guys use that subjectivity for their gains...

What school was that and do you have an MBA from that program?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have more than an MBA from there. And if you dig, you can easily determine the school from the hint of intellectual heft there. Yet I'm not sure what this has to do with me. After all, remember the recent fight between "sterile" Jon valin and "Great " Peter breuninger? Each imagines his favorite turntable as sounding real, while assuming the other guy is crack pot. Thank God those guys didn't have knives or guns! What more can one say about the essence of this subjectiBe hobby?

I'm just a hard working guy, not an "audiophile", who is trying to find good sound. I happen to question a lot of dogma , as would be expected from someone who comes from western civilization, and explain the marketing and hidden order of this highly subjective hobby/ industry.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, You bring up some interesting points.
I just finished reading the 'Ode' to Rockport speakers and specifically the new Lyra- by our friend Harley in the latest episode of Absolute Sound. While I am sure the new Lyra is a good speaker...as it should very well be for its asking price of a paltry $169K!!
I VERY seriously doubt that the hyperbole that Harley attributes to it can be that accurate. Unless, that is, your aural requirements are NOT that defined, or your total determinants for excellence and/or total superiority are not that specific, or both. I think that to the neophyte, most all
high end sound probably sounds sublime, to the more experienced, it becomes a question of how much is in fact lacking. Harley strikes me as someone who either a) cannot really determine the total picture...or b) has an ulterior motive that he fails to disclose or c) truly believes that every great sounding speaker of the hour is now without flaws!!!
The unfortunate aspect of his reviewing style, IMHO, is that the guy off the street with little experience in listening for themselves, tends to pick up the magazine and read the hyperbole laden review and then goes out and probably suffers the consequence of plunking down their easily earned cash on a product that is flawed. Hopefully said flaw works into their realm of acceptance, LOL. If not, we typically see the item on A'gon within a short period of time..and at a major discount in price....Hmmm, maybe there's something to Harley's reviewing style after all!!!:rolleyes::D

Davey, great points. Anyone who thinks Harley is writing for the fans must be living in an alternate reality.

Furthermore, the entire Magico q series was recently discontinued. What more can one say about the chasm in tastes of the elites vs. regular folks?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar,

Can you write about reviewers and audio journalists without insulting them? IMHO you are misrepresenting their reviews isolating small aspects that you perpetuate, but I refuse to debate in such hate ambient.

Microstrip,
Not sure what there is to debate. The tas guys, and many others, waste people's precious time and money. Hence I'm angry at these mother fuyers.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Microstrip,
Not sure what there is to debate. The tas guys, and many others, waste people's precious time and money. Hence I'm angry at these mother fuyers.

So stop reading their reviews.

It is all so simple. If I don't trust someone, I don't give them my time. As someone else posted, build a relationship with a dealer you do trust. Your audiophile journey will be better for it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So stop reading their reviews.

It is all so simple. If I don't trust someone, I don't give them my time. As someone else posted, build a relationship with a dealer you do trust. Your audiophile journey will be better for it.

Sage advice Bob

The name calling and derogatory terms said by Caesar IMO are appalling. I understand if you don't like the reviewer but for gosh sakes the epithets hurled at several are just mind boggling

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have more than an MBA from there. And if you dig, you can easily determine the school from the hint of intellectual heft there. Yet I'm not sure what this has to do with me. After all, remember the recent fight between "sterile" Jon valin and "Great " Peter breuninger? Each imagines his favorite turntable as sounding real, while assuming the other guy is crack pot. Thank God those guys didn't have knives or guns! What more can one say about the essence of this subjectiBe hobby?

I'm just a hard working guy, not an "audiophile", who is trying to find good sound. I happen to question a lot of dogma , as would be expected from someone who comes from western civilization, and explain the marketing and hidden order of this highly subjective hobby/ industry.
Caesar stop worrying about reviewers motivation, they want to sell subscriptions to audiophiles and advertising space to manufacturers and dealers. They will rarely review a company that does not buy advertising, and a bad review is even more rare. I am personally more worried/irritated about the audiophiles that want to make this hobby a business, they sneak up on you !
Enjoyable travel stories and member system reviews that end up being pure informercials, those agendas are hidden much better !
Large discounts on equipment purchases are good motivators.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Caesar stop worrying about reviewers motivation, they want to sell subscriptions to audiophiles and advertising space to manufacturers and dealers. They will rarely review a company that does not buy advertising, and a bad review is even more rare. I am personally more worried/irritated about the audiophiles that want to make this hobby a business, they sneak up on you !
Enjoyable travel stories and member system reviews that end up being pure informercials, those agendas are hidden much better !
Large discounts on equipment purchases are good motivators.

+1

Great post!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing