Votes: 15 28.3%
  • More than 100

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
I'm in the 50-100 camp.

Hdtracks is always my first stop. I begrudge CDs the space their packaging occupies considering I only use the disc once (ripping to dematerialized library). I would have bought Keith Jarrett's "Rio" two months ago if ECM and hdtracks would get off the schnide and make it available.

I have started buying vinyl at estate sales, now that I think my digital transfer techniques are "good enough" to overcome most issues of condition. But I have to really want the title. Check back next year to get the count. :)

Our local library has contracted with a service that permits downloads of 256K MP3 from all major labels without DRM. The gotcha is any individual can only download three tracks per week, so it takes at least 3 weeks to acquire a full title. Not really worth the effort, although we did pick up Adele's "21" as the experiment.

TGD

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

For the past 2 years the rate has been about 30 CD/month... Slowing down some. lately less than 15/month.. I am finding myself with more music than I have time to listen to them .. I want to listen to ALL my music ..
I also think that my music buying will go upward with the use of Pandora.. Once you create a radio station , Pandora suggest a lot of similar artists/cuts. I find myself buying more and more of these artists ... Even if you don't care about Internet Music, please give Pandora a try... http://www.pandora.com

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Did a few searches on my database where i have my music cataloged. Some quick number crunching shows that my music collection is 83% vinyl 11,715 (LPs, 7",10',12" singles), 8% (1466) reel tapes and 8% digital (1755 CDs, 3 SACD, 1 DVD-A) with ZERO downloads. So over 90% analog. Pretty darn impressive for an owner of a Sony CDP 101. There are laserdiscs and DVDs and two cassettes to round things out.
I had to buy a house to hold all this stuff. Now that I'm retired, a very enjoyable but long downsizing is ahead of me. Time to start ridding myself of those dreaded CDs!

Of course I'm still buying. ;-)

Leslie

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Did a few searches on my database where i have my music cataloged. Some quick number crunching shows that my music collection is 83% vinyl 11,715 (LPs, 7",10',12" singles), 8% (1466) reel tapes and 8% digital (1755 CDs, 3 SACD, 1 DVD-A) with ZERO downloads. So over 90% analog. Pretty darn impressive for an owner of a Sony CDP 101. There are laserdiscs and DVDs and two cassettes to round things out.
I had to buy a house to hold all this stuff. Now that I'm retired, a very enjoyable but long downsizing is ahead of me. Time to start ridding myself of those dreaded CDs!

Of course I'm still buying. ;-)

Leslie

If you dread them that much, perhaps this is reflected in a sell price? ;):pI'd like to build up my digital collection....we should talk one day since I'm just down the road.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been on a bit of a spree lately

LP
Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot (Classic)
Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card ( Classic)
Livingston Taylor - Over The Rainbow

CD
Jose Feliciano - Feliciano
Jose Feliciano - The Best of...
Yo Yo Ma - The Cello Suites..Inspired by Bach
Janos Starker - The Suites For Solo Cello

SACD
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Blu-ray
Tom Petty - Mojo
Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes

Have only received the Liv Taylor LP so far......anxiously awaiting the others!:D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Not as much as in the past. Now I'm in the 50-->100 camp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am still in the 100+ category by a good margin. fortunately, other than then FIM, MFSL, and a few new Analogue Production remastered SACDs...i am generally buying second-hand off Amazon which means 3 bucks for many albums. whew...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yo Yo Ma - The Cello Suites..Inspired by Bach
Janos Starker - The Suites For Solo Cello

SACD
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Have only received the Liv Taylor LP so far......anxiously awaiting the others!:D

Pls post your thoughts on these 3 when you have heard them...enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Morning! Great!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm averaging about nearly 600-800 per year. Used to be mostly CDs, but now I guess it's 60/40 between CDs and LPs.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
20-50

I buy only LPs, and those purchases are becoming more and more selective these days. Space for storage is increasingly problematic, so the collection needs to be thinned, if I maintain this level of adding pieces.

Win

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Making a conscious effort to listen rather than gather... I am slowing my purchases.. There are too many CDs and now LPs that I have never heard. So it has trickled to about 10 CD a month...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm assuming we are meant to count purchased downloads as well as physical product.

Given the cost of many systems here, the fact that nearly 2/3 of respondents buy fewer than 100 items per year is sad, IMHO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm assuming we are meant to count purchased downloads as well as physical product.

Given the cost of many systems here, the fact that nearly 2/3 of respondents buy fewer than 100 items per year is sad, IMHO.

i think that may depend on how many albums these respondents already own. some could well own a few thousand LPs, tapes, CDs and other formats...which would match up quite closely with the cost of the systems they own.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm averaging about nearly 600-800 per year. Used to be mostly CDs, but now I guess it's 60/40 between CDs and LPs.

That's good, that's very good! :b

True, but 100 great music selections is better than 1,000 lesser music selections. :b
And like Lloyd just mentioned above ...

* What truly counts is your 'music listening' happiness. Quality time over quantity. :b

==> You know, many experts say that you should spend the bulk of your hard earned dollars on loudspeakers (50 to 70%) from your entire system.
But today ain't no more like yesterday. ...Loudspeakers aren't the last bastion of our musical journey. And we should spend as much on acoustic room treatments, and a quality digital Room EQ system. ...I truly believe.

And our Music software (LPs, CDs, SACDs, etc.) is where the real investment is.
...If you are a true music lover.

In my personal case,
the music software investment is easily 10 times greater than my electronica gear.

And if I want to improve my "Sound", I'll spend some more on new music explorations;
the artists of this world, and from quality recordings, and from the music that truly moves the blood that circulates through all the veins of my body & soul, and that pumps it to make my heart beating at the right tempo. Because without them (the artist musicians and singers), the most expensive room with the gear is empty. :b

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i think that may depend on how many albums these respondents already own. some could well own a few thousand LPs, tapes, CDs and other formats...which would match up quite closely with the cost of the systems they own.

Yep. If one's collection is already substantial and one is satisfied with that, I can see not buying as much as some do. Quite frankly, I'm getting close to that point, although my collection is small in comparison to some here.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's good, that's very good! :b

True, but 100 great music selections is better than 1,000 lesser music selections. :b
And like Lloyd just mentioned above ...

* What truly counts is your 'music listening' happiness. Quality time over quantity. :b

Certainly true, but over 1/3 buy fewer than 50/yr, and almost 2/3 fewer than 100. I have 12,000+ DVD-A/SACD/CD's, and still find it ridiculously easy to add 100 or more units of excellent music per year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing