Votes: 15 28.3%
  • More than 100

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am curious about the consumption habits when it comes to music. How many albums/CDs/tapes do you buy per year?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I still buy a lot of used vinyl, which is why I voted 100+. Based on new only I would probably be slightly over 50.

John

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I'm in the 50-100 camp. I don't buy a whole lot of used stuff, but there certainly is some. I also have subscriptions to a couple of the Acoustic Sounds reissue series. Nothing like the good ol' days when I used to work part time in a record store and took my wages out in trade. I usually still owed the boss some money on payday, but it really helped me build up my music collection over the 10 years I worked there!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I worked for Polydor Records for 3 years in the early 70's and was able to pick up a lot of "freebies" then, along with concert tickets and stuff. Good times. I still do buy a lot of used though, but sometimes I wonder why? LOL!

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Timely topic.

Last night I counted (roughly) 62 CDs that I purchased and recieved in 2010. Four (Edit: 7) more CDs are on the way.

My wife and I used to purchase more but over the years we bought the key things we wanted.

Bill

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, 75 views and only 10 votes! How about everyone voting? If you are not a member, this is your opportunity to say something officially without anyone arguing with you :D Voting is anonymous. So please go ahead and vote so that we get a sense of what the community looks like.

JorgeLopez11

Nov 30, 2010
Mexico City
I usually buy three or four CDs per month.

Nevertheless, now and then there are great opportunities and it is not rare to see me on the mood of placing a single 10-15 CDs order :eek:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
50 - 100 -- now that my analog system is more or less locked in, it's about 70% CDs (for server ripping), 20% vinyl, 10% hirez downloads. Would be happy to drop CDs altogether if there was a download alternative for the stuff I want.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
For twenty years i lived about a 16 1/2 minute walk from two world class record stores. Between the two stores (Sam The Record Man and A and A's) there was five plus floors spread and several acres of floor space and several more that were much closer. :) so 100 per month might be closer!
Leslie

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For twenty years i lived about a 16 1/2 minute walk from two world class record stores. Between the two stores (Sam The Record Man and A and A's) there was five plus floors spread and several acres of floor space and several more that were much closer. :) so 100 per month might be closer!
Leslie

100 pieces a month? Holy crap! I know the stores of which you speak btw, although my heaver buying days were when I lived in Montreal. Still, I never got anywhere close to 100 per month on average.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In 2011 I bought a pristine LP collection having more than 600 LPs, mostly jazz - about 70% still not listened - and about 50 CDs.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Hi John79253
It got worse around 1986 when a girlfriend introduced me to yard sales. Mint LPs for a quarter or dime? The record collecting hobby has ruined many pairs of knees. Shortage of space pushed me into buying a house.
The record collecting hobby has also ruined many backs! ;-)
Leslie

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bought last year? Over a hundred LPs, about 60CDs, don't ask about the individual downloads. Percentage listened to, excluding the demo/QC checks, about 80%.

Listening time is cut for me this time of year. Got to make the most out of the precious few cool weather months for Golf. I'll probably start buying software in full swing again in mid-March or April.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Less than 12 now (or perhaps few dozens per year on average, but only in the last few years).
[Libraries, and etc....]

* But I used to buy roughly 50-100 CDs (brand new, and among many Imports) every single month for years. Along with SACDs. And few DVD-Audios, and a lot of DVD Videos.

And LPs wasn't so much. Except for second-hand Record stores. And when I was much younger.

Now I buy Blu-rays though, quite a few too.

P.S. I voted 'Less than 12' because it's true for this past year; 2011 one, and alone.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing