Dali Megaline

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How about a bit of introduction to the brand for those of us who don't know it? What is their claim to fame in their design?

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
How about a bit of introduction to the brand for those of us who don't know it? What is their claim to fame in their design?

The Megaline was originally developed as a one-off showpiece for Hi-Fi exhibitions. Danish Audiophile Loudspeaker Industries developed, designed, hand-built, assembled and individually tested the Megaline at the DALI factory in Denmark.

It's basically a giant a two-way loudspeaker based on a vertical array of bass-midrange cone drivers alongside an array of planar dipole ribbon tweeters. Each operate as a single “virtual driver” extending from floor to ceiling.

The overall height is approximately 7.5 feet, about 90 DB efficient and 6 ohm impedance. The Megaline requires an electronic crossover between preamp and power amps. There is no crossover in the speaker cabinets, only the 30 drivers. Power requirement is twin stereo or four mono amps to operate full range in stereo.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
With all the focus on the Megaline there was not much attention given to the rest of the line. They made some fine affordable speakers with a beautiful sound and a beautiful high gloss wood finish. They were well worth the money.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I liked the Helikon line a lot. Definitely great value. The Megalines must be something indeed. I mean, any time I like a companies value engineered pieces, 10 out of 10 times the statement products are knock outs.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I esteem Albert's choice with high regard and am ineffably gratified by the Dali MegaLine III! I have a pair of Dali active external crossovers and run my system balanced. Stock, these Dali's are supplied with a single external active crossover.

Vbr,
Sam

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
I esteem Albert's choice with high regard and am ineffably gratified by the Dali MegaLine III! I have a pair of Dali active external crossovers and run my system balanced. Stock, these Dali's are supplied with a single external active crossover.

Vbr,
Sam

Sam, did you listen with stock crossover before changing to twin supplies and balanced config?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam, did you listen with stock crossover before changing to twin supplies and balanced config?

Hello Albert,

I had briefly listened to the single stock Dali crossover at Acoustic Image in Studio City. Extended listening was enjoyed with your reference system -- single and twin custom, valve, unbalanced crossovers, iirc -- and Dennis' (B.H.) system consisting, at that time, of twin Dali stock crossovers -- in a balanced configuration -- feeding 4 Atma-Sphere MA-2's.

When Dennis changed amps to MBL, iirc, he offered your former stock Dali crossover to me :D

-Sam

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
When Dennis changed amps to MBL, iirc, he offered your former stock Dali crossover to me

My crossover?

What a small world. Had I not gone to custom tube unit you would not have scored that great find :^). By the way, did you read the post from Art on my system thread? I pushed the system again and he was here last week to listen.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
My crossover?

What a small world. Had I not gone to custom tube unit you would not have scored that great find :^). By the way, did you read the post from Art on my system thread? I pushed the system again and he was here last week to listen.

HaHa, Albert,

I always get your top-drawer cast-offs -- lol ;) Yeah, I read Art's post...only wish I could have been there to partake in the good times! Albert, these MegaLines are AWESOME loudspeakers...but you knew that. Has Fred been over to listen to your or Art's system?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Fred is coming 31st and 1st to listen. I've changed the system since you were here. Better calibration on the sub, new cable for the Studer, new feet under the Studer and two new turntable plinths and tonearms.

WOW, Albert! What carts will you be playing for Fred? I've just received some 1/2", 15 ips tapes...need to switch over from the 1/4" components to 1/2" (I have all the hardware). I may be travelling to Santa Barbara this Memorial Day Holiday to collect my direct drive OTL amps for the Beveridge Model 2 from Roger Modjeski :cool:

Vbr,
Sam

btw, Mose Allison was in town tonight -- but we missed him :(

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Sam,

Currently my Koetsu Coralstone is mated up with newly acquired 12" Audiocraft AC-4400 with "S" (heavy) armwand. The Air Tight Supreme is mounted on an SME 312S (magnesium).

Turntable two already has my second SME 312S mounted and I'm still waiting for my German arm.

I have two other cartridges, Haniwa HTCR-01 and Ortofon MC A90. Based on their compliance and arm mass of SME versus German arm will dictate where these last two get mounted.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sam,

Currently my Koetsu Coralstone is mated up with newly acquired 12" Audiocraft AC-4400 with "S" (heavy) armwand. The Air Tight Supreme is mounted on an SME 312S (magnesium).

Turntable two already has my second SME 312S mounted and I'm still waiting for my German arm.

I have two other cartridges, Haniwa HTCR-01 and Ortofon MC A90. Based on their compliance and arm mass of SME versus German arm will dictate where these last two get mounted.

The Haniwa sounds like an Air Tight taken to the extreme :) What is the compliance of the cartridge as it wasn't listed on the web site? I assume it's relatively high since the cartridge's recommended tracking force is 1+ gms.

Do you know what the retail will be on the Haniwa?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Albert,

Have you tried using your Coral with the Koetsu Step Up? I always loved my Jade Platinum but using it with the SUT brought it to an all new level. Strange thing is, it wasn't the difference in gain. The effect was the same with any of my phono preamps. The tonal balance stayed the same but I noticed an increase in resolution and extension and a heightening of the Jade's prismatic colors. I'd recommend it to every stone body Koetsu owner. :)

Jack

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
The Haniwa sounds like an Air Tight taken to the extreme :) What is the compliance of the cartridge as it wasn't- listed on the web site? I assume it's relatively high since the cartridge's recommended tracking force is 1+ gms.

Hi Myles,

Are you referring to the PC-1 or Supreme or ? Can you elaborate :confused: I thought the Supreme on Albert's system was quite extraordinary...I've got to find out more about this Haniwa :cool:

Vbr,
Sam

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
The Haniwa sounds like an Air Tight taken to the extreme What is the compliance of the cartridge as it wasn't listed on the web site? I assume it's relatively high since the cartridge's recommended tracking force is 1+ gms.

Myles, I got the Haniwa on trial, maybe even review depending on how it sounds. Unfortunately I have not yet installed it.

I just checked the Haniwa box and there are no compliance specs, in fact there is not even a packing sheet with starting points for track force. Perhaps we're supposed to do it all by ear :^).

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Albert,

Have you tried using your Coral with the Koetsu Step Up? I always loved my Jade Platinum but using it with the SUT brought it to an all new level. Strange thing is, it wasn't the difference in gain. The effect was the same with any of my phono preamps. The tonal balance stayed the same but I noticed an increase in resolution and extension and a heightening of the Jade's prismatic colors. I'd recommend it to every stone body Koetsu owner. :)

Jack

Jack,

I have not tried the Koetsu step up but would like to at some point. Your description makes it sound like there is some special matching of impedance and gain with the dedicated Koetsu step up.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, I got the Haniwa on trial, maybe even review depending on how it sounds. Unfortunately I have not yet installed it.

I just checked the Haniwa box and there are no compliance specs, in fact there is not even a packing sheet with starting points for track force. Perhaps we're supposed to do it all by ear :^).

Ha ha ha....sounds like a Koetsu :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing