Coralstone Diamond on Koetsu arm

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This just showed up on my doorstep from Japan. Coralstone Diamond !!!
When I first looked into the box I thought the cantilever was broken. The crystal clear Diamond cantilever is hard to see even with readers...lol.

Attachments

• Coralstone_diamond_1.jpg
    Coralstone_diamond_1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Coralstone_diamond_2.jpg
    Coralstone_diamond_2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Coralstone_diamond_3.jpg
    Coralstone_diamond_3.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 160

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
When I first looked into the box I thought the cantilever was broken. The crystal clear Diamond cantilever is hard to see even with readers...lol.

Cool, and just in time, looks like we're good for end of Nov to beginning of December delivery!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That is exciting indeed. All the pieces are falling into place...
I may need to explore SPU’s for the 3012R...mono and stereo..;)

Dear Christian,

I only saw pictures of the AS2000 with David's older hammered finish. What kind of finish will you be having? Any latest picture?

Sorry for a wrong thread.

Kind regards,
Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dear Christian,

I only saw pictures of the AS2000 with David's older hammered finish. What kind of finish will you be having? Any latest picture?

Sorry for a wrong thread.

Kind regards,
Tang

Finish has not been finalized.....matte (natural), polish or tooled yet to be determined. No pics yet....;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Still waiting on the finishing samples but all the metal work for the first two units are nearly done and as expected 30 years later it looks better and the tolerances are even tighter. What's taking time is finding someone who can do a similar tool finish like the original or better, we should know the options in November and I'll update everyone as soon as I get them.

You can have any cartridge on the SME 3012-R, SPU is just the basic. I've never heard a diamond Koetsu very curious how it will sound.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Mike. I'm a bit intimidated to mount it let alone clean it. Are they brittle, can they handle the sweep of a stylus brush ? I suppose so. I need to build up the courage to mount it.

I am afraid I am too clumpsy for this beautiful transparent canti.

Tang

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

Glad you got looked after. Enjoy.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Congratulations rockitman on your new Koetsu coralstone! You got a very nice piece of fossil there. Just looking at the picture, I sense a three dimensional look into the body of the cartridge.

I have a Koetsu tiger eye with diamond cantilever. I had no problems with brushing it. My cantilever broke off while playing an lp. I don't know why, it just happened. In my experience, when newly mounted, the singers' voices sounded 20 years younger and "angelic". I remember telling people the singers did not sound like themselves but they seem to sound like what I imagined they would sound like when they became angels. Take your time to break it in. You're in for a real treat even during break in period. For me, the diamond cantilevered Koetsu is the most mesmerizing Koetsu.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on the cartridge, Christian!

Are you going to be able at some point to give us a sense of the difference in sound between the Coralstone with boron cantilever and the Coralstone with diamond cantilever?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congratulations on the cartridge, Christian!

Are you going to be able at some point to give us a sense of the difference in sound between the Coralstone with boron cantilever and the Coralstone with diamond cantilever?

Thank you Ron. I feel like a cart hoarder....two unplayed coralstones sitting on the bench. I currently have a Tiger Eye in play boron. I will see if I am interested in torturing myself going back and fourth. The differences should be pretty apparent....I suspect the diamond will be on the AS, boron AF1.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congratulations rockitman on your new Koetsu coralstone! You got a very nice piece of fossil there. Just looking at the picture, I sense a three dimensional look into the body of the cartridge.

I have a Koetsu tiger eye with diamond cantilever. I had no problems with brushing it. My cantilever broke off while playing an lp. I don't know why, it just happened. In my experience, when newly mounted, the singers' voices sounded 20 years younger and "angelic". I remember telling people the singers did not sound like themselves but they seem to sound like what I imagined they would sound like when they became angels. Take your time to break it in. You're in for a real treat even during break in period. For me, the diamond cantilevered Koetsu is the most mesmerizing Koetsu.

Thanks for sharing your diamond experience. When my Tiger Eye grows tired, off to Japan for a diamond rebuild.

Is the recommended tracking weight range between boron and diamond any different ?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Tracking weight is the same. If I remember correctly, Koetsu recommends 1.8 to 2.0 grams. In my own system, I preferred 2.2 grams. I can't remember the reason I preferred going over the recommended tracking weight anymore. It's been 5 or 6 years ago when I dabbled in analogue. I'm all digital today; but my analogue gears are still around, I'm just feeling lazy the last 3 years.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
currently flipping between 5 different Koetsu (black gold line, Rosewood signature, Blue Sky , Vermillion, Onyx Platinum) , all with the recommendation of 1,8 to 2g.
My experience is, every individual Koetsu of my collection likes a different tracking force, for whatever reason, it goes from 1,85 to 2,2 g, depending on the cart.
I do not know, if this is general with Koetsu or depending on the different manufacturing years or more the age of the Koetsu.
Comparing to my different colibris, they start new with 1,48g, after 300h they mostly like to be driven more close to 1,4g preferred tracking force.

juergen

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Somehow I cannot find them anymore. Can somebody help me with the specs of the Coralstone platinum diamond cartridge?

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
currently flipping between 5 different Koetsu (black gold line, Rosewood signature, Blue Sky , Vermillion, Onyx Platinum) , all with the recommendation of 1,8 to 2g.
My experience is, every individual Koetsu of my collection likes a different tracking force, for whatever reason, it goes from 1,85 to 2,2 g, depending on the cart.
I do not know, if this is general with Koetsu or depending on the different manufacturing years or more the age of the Koetsu.
Comparing to my different colibris, they start new with 1,48g, after 300h they mostly like to be driven more close to 1,4g preferred tracking force.

juergen

Perhaps the different age of Koetsu carts is to explain ? ie: the optimal tracking weight may change over time for a given cart as the suspension ages and starts to drop. Just a logical guess on my part.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Perhaps the different age of Koetsu carts is to explain ? ie: the optimal tracking weight may change over time for a given cart as the suspension ages and starts to drop. Just a logical guess on my part.

Indeed and not forgetting Humidity/extreme temperature changes /etc.

BruceD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Bonzo sold me this Coralstone. Not pretty like Gian’s. But sounding very good. Grandest soundstage of all carts I have. Want him to regret he sold :p.

It is on Axiom. A bit warmer than Opus1 and MSL Platinum on SAT.

Tang

Reactions: Petrat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing