Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Coralstone Diamond on Koetsu arm

Congratulations rockitman on your new Koetsu coralstone! You got a very nice piece of fossil there. Just looking at the picture, I sense a three dimensional look into the body of the cartridge.

I have a Koetsu tiger eye with diamond cantilever. I had no problems with brushing it. My cantilever broke off while playing an lp. I don't know why, it just happened. In my experience, when newly mounted, the singers' voices sounded 20 years younger and "angelic". I remember telling people the singers did not sound like themselves but they seem to sound like what I imagined they would sound like when they became angels. Take your time to break it in. You're in for a real treat even during break in period. For me, the diamond cantilevered Koetsu is the most mesmerizing Koetsu.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Congratulations on the cartridge, Christian!

Are you going to be able at some point to give us a sense of the difference in sound between the Coralstone with boron cantilever and the Coralstone with diamond cantilever?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Congratulations on the cartridge, Christian!

Are you going to be able at some point to give us a sense of the difference in sound between the Coralstone with boron cantilever and the Coralstone with diamond cantilever?
    Thank you Ron. I feel like a cart hoarder....two unplayed coralstones sitting on the bench. I currently have a Tiger Eye in play boron. I will see if I am interested in torturing myself going back and fourth. The differences should be pretty apparent....I suspect the diamond will be on the AS, boron AF1.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by mullard88 View Post
    Congratulations rockitman on your new Koetsu coralstone! You got a very nice piece of fossil there. Just looking at the picture, I sense a three dimensional look into the body of the cartridge.

I have a Koetsu tiger eye with diamond cantilever. I had no problems with brushing it. My cantilever broke off while playing an lp. I don't know why, it just happened. In my experience, when newly mounted, the singers' voices sounded 20 years younger and "angelic". I remember telling people the singers did not sound like themselves but they seem to sound like what I imagined they would sound like when they became angels. Take your time to break it in. You're in for a real treat even during break in period. For me, the diamond cantilevered Koetsu is the most mesmerizing Koetsu.
    Thanks for sharing your diamond experience. When my Tiger Eye grows tired, off to Japan for a diamond rebuild.

Is the recommended tracking weight range between boron and diamond any different ?
    Christian

System Gear

Tracking weight is the same. If I remember correctly, Koetsu recommends 1.8 to 2.0 grams. In my own system, I preferred 2.2 grams. I can't remember the reason I preferred going over the recommended tracking weight anymore. It's been 5 or 6 years ago when I dabbled in analogue. I'm all digital today; but my analogue gears are still around, I'm just feeling lazy the last 3 years.

currently flipping between 5 different Koetsu (black gold line, Rosewood signature, Blue Sky , Vermillion, Onyx Platinum) , all with the recommendation of 1,8 to 2g.
    My experience is, every individual Koetsu of my collection likes a different tracking force, for whatever reason, it goes from 1,85 to 2,2 g, depending on the cart.
    I do not know, if this is general with Koetsu or depending on the different manufacturing years or more the age of the Koetsu.
    Comparing to my different colibris, they start new with 1,48g, after 300h they mostly like to be driven more close to 1,4g preferred tracking force.

juergen

Somehow I cannot find them anymore. Can somebody help me with the specs of the Coralstone platinum diamond cartridge?
    Last edited by Audiocrack; 11-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    currently flipping between 5 different Koetsu (black gold line, Rosewood signature, Blue Sky , Vermillion, Onyx Platinum) , all with the recommendation of 1,8 to 2g.
    My experience is, every individual Koetsu of my collection likes a different tracking force, for whatever reason, it goes from 1,85 to 2,2 g, depending on the cart.
    I do not know, if this is general with Koetsu or depending on the different manufacturing years or more the age of the Koetsu.
    Comparing to my different colibris, they start new with 1,48g, after 300h they mostly like to be driven more close to 1,4g preferred tracking force.

juergen
    Perhaps the different age of Koetsu carts is to explain ? ie: the optimal tracking weight may change over time for a given cart as the suspension ages and starts to drop. Just a logical guess on my part.
    Christian

System Gear

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    Perhaps the different age of Koetsu carts is to explain ? ie: the optimal tracking weight may change over time for a given cart as the suspension ages and starts to drop. Just a logical guess on my part.
    Indeed and not forgetting Humidity/extreme temperature changes /etc.

BruceD

Bonzo sold me this Coralstone. Not pretty like Gian’s. But sounding very good. Grandest soundstage of all carts I have. Want him to regret he sold .

It is on Axiom. A bit warmer than Opus1 and MSL Platinum on SAT.

Tang

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast