Industry Panel on MQA at RMAF Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
How'd I do?

righteousness has it's redeeming aspects.....in some arenas.

I've not been motivated to do serious file comparisons with the MQA files I've listened to......I've not cared that much. i'm mildly curious about it. streaming is a small part of my listening......so not a big deal.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
LOL. As opposed to your bullshit moniker, with virtually no info in your profile? How rich.

I've been on this forum for over seven years.

Anyone who reads my threads/posts knows where I live, what I do for a living, along with my music and equipment interests.

I think you'll be gone very soon.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
this is where you re-consider that post and apologize, or maybe just leave.

really we are not a hard group to get along with, but first impressions matter.

+1

There is no need for rudeness here nor in any forum.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It's funny how you see guys like this come into forums with a very specific name linked to the subject, go ballistic, make a bunch of rude comments and then get banned. There was a guy on Reef Central (saltwater fish tank site) whose moniker was "LED's Kill," he was violently anti-LED when they hit the hobby. Now LED's have a 95% share of aquarium lighting.

So much fun to read these weirdo's. I'll miss MQA Truth (sounds like 9/11 Truth doesn't it?) when he's banned.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Oh spare us the phony outrage. If that absurdly priced MSB DAC you sell in your shop
was not "MQA Ready", you would not give a darn.

Possibly he has a motive for the support--but we know him here-as respected Commercial member and with full name and credentials

We'd be obliged if you could honour us with yours together with you knowledge base of MQA --which is indeed impressive.

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
MQA Truth may be just that...truth about MQA!
Does it not strike others as a little odd that the MQA forum with Bob Stuart was cancelled??
I would have thought that if you truly believed in the product, that you would want to defend it and could easily justify it.
Here's the crazy part for me...I definitely still believe that whatever I heard at the MQA demo was a superior sound over the standard file...no question whatsoever about that in my mind....
So, if there is something in the process that is indeed getting this result and it can be shown to be consistent...why not expose that and let the cards fall where they will. Presumably ( and I don't know this as a fact), Merdian does not have a patent on this ...or maybe they do and the patent can be easily gotten around with similar ( but not quite the same) tech, and as such would be considered as no big deal..from a technical standpoint...ala a different form of upsampling. Nonetheless, if this particular upsampling could generate the best SQ, then that's a pretty good start. Now, I do realize that we are not talking of the marketing $$$$'s that Bob wants to make...and perhaps is needing to make. That throws a different slant on the whole affair...because if he has to make a"killing" for it to be worth his while, well then I can see all the secrecy and other gamesmanship that is so well alluded to in the excellent Linn article.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
MQA Truth may be just that...truth about MQA!
Presumably ( and I don't know this as a fact), Merdian does not have a patent on this ...or maybe they do and the patent can be easily gotten around with similar ( but not quite the same) tech, and as such would be considered as no big deal. on the whole affair...because if he has to.

Patent Schmatent!:eek:-- Sony blew the PAL TV German owned one into the weeds

( remember the "smudged" PAL Trinitron?)

Mr.Stuart already has skeleton in the closet with his attempt to use one of John Curls designs behind Johns back

Meridian--um no thanks

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Patent Schmatent!:eek:-- Sony blew the PAL TV German owned one into the weeds

( remember the "smudged" PAL Trinitron?)

Mr.Stuart already has skeleton in the closet with his attempt to use one of John Curls designs behind Johns back

Meridian--um no thanks

BruceD

This whole story is a little bit sad to me. Here's why, I remember when I was a wee beginner a'phile back in the day and had the pleasant experience of listening to a pair of Boothroyd Stuart stand mount speakers. These were truly a nice sounding speaker...and were well made and not terribly pricey ...for the time. Boothroyd Stuart had a pretty good reputation in the U.K. at the time, and imo justifiably so. Their products were geared for the U.K. Market and they fit in just fine. Small local company with some good designs and trying to give (seemingly) some modicum of value.
Today, Meridian seems to have lost their way, I know hardly anybody hears of Allen Boothroyd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing