Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Further thoughts on MQA....is it all it seems???

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Here we go...
    I hope the moderators are not in vacation ...
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : conrad Johnson GAT, Lamm M1.2, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Quote Originally Posted by MQA Truth View Post
    MQA TRUTH:
    ...5-MQA is lossy, and distorts the frequency spectrum. It is 13-17 bits maximum, with no valid musical
    information about 48 kHz. Completely unfolded MQA to 24/96 or 12/192 is in the form of upsampling.

6-MQA is proprietary DSP. It is an applied digital filter. It is a post processed version of the mastered file, removed by one generation,
    and distorted....
    Point 5 must be expressed incorrectly, since one needs a sampling rate of at least 96 kHz to get a frequency response to 48 kHz, so the 24/96 (at least) isn't upsampled

Point 6 is mostly what I and others have been saying all along, although describing it as "distorted" is clearly misdirection. It is distorted only in the sense that it is changed from the original, and not necessarily in a bad way.
    Oppo Modwright BDP-205 full mod
    Pass Labs INT-60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Point 5 must be expressed incorrectly, since one needs a sampling rate of at least 96 kHz to get a frequency response to 48 kHz, so the 24/96 (at least) isn't upsampled

Point 6 is mostly what I and others have been saying all along, although describing it as "distorted" is clearly misdirection. It is distorted only in the sense that it is changed from the original, and not necessarily in a bad way.
    Yes agree

Bit of fake news here

Of course there actually isn't much musical content captured above 48khz, other than some timing information

Agree about alleged "distortion"

all upsampling algorithms add, and filters create issues , which can have elements of distortion, its not desired, not specific to MQA, as always in engineering there are trade-offs
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8 running current mode
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer at dsd2
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    Morel Fat Ladies
    Bespoke active crossover 5 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

"What really matters? The signal that reaches the speaker or the sound that reaches your ears?"

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    As they say, you don't know what you don't know.
    True. You don't know what I've heard.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    From what I understand, the MQA seminar at RMAF 2017 is cancelled.
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

Quote Originally Posted by Eichenbaum View Post
    "What really matters? The signal that reaches the speaker or the sound that reaches your ears?"

That is an excellent question...
    In a perfect world, the two should be exactly the same, the speaker should convert the signal without any distortion whatsoever..pity that this is so rarely( or maybe ever)the case!

To answer Alex's question as to why I started this thread( and the point of it)....well for me it was because I had heard another factor regarding MQA that was of concern to me (along with similar points to those that MQA Truth posted)...and that was, that it was potentially nothing more than a scam!
    Therefore, I thought it may be appropriate and more honest to a) discuss this possibility and b) alert those that were impressed by the demos...like myself, that perhaps there was something else going on. Something else that was not quite so obvious to all. Including myself and Alex!!
    Last edited by DaveyF; 09-13-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    That is an excellent question...
    In a perfect world, the two should be exactly the same, the speaker should convert the signal without any distortion whatsoever..pity that this is so rarely( or maybe ever)the case!

To answer Alex's question as to why I started this thread( and the point of it)....well for me it was because I had heard another factor regarding MQA that was of concern to me (along with similar points to those that MQA Truth posted)...and that was, that it was potentially nothing more than a scam!
    Therefore, I thought it may be appropriate and more honest to a) discuss this possibility and b) alert those that were impressed by the demos...like myself, that perhaps there was something else going on. Something else that was not quite so obvious to all. Including myself and Alex!!
    Alex does not seem to share your newfound concerns. I am curious about MQA Truth's identity and the motivation behind his post. And I would welcome the contributions of your digital expert friend to this thread.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    I'll say! With all the controversy and variety of both opinions and factual observations that have been posted (even only here at WBF!) on MQA, you only just now started to wonder???
    Oppo Modwright BDP-205 full mod
    Pass Labs INT-60
    Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
    Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast