Further thoughts on MQA....is it all it seems???

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
MQA TRUTH:
...5-MQA is lossy, and distorts the frequency spectrum. It is 13-17 bits maximum, with no valid musical
information about 48 kHz. Completely unfolded MQA to 24/96 or 12/192 is in the form of upsampling.

6-MQA is proprietary DSP. It is an applied digital filter. It is a post processed version of the mastered file, removed by one generation,
and distorted....

Point 5 must be expressed incorrectly, since one needs a sampling rate of at least 96 kHz to get a frequency response to 48 kHz, so the 24/96 (at least) isn't upsampled

Point 6 is mostly what I and others have been saying all along, although describing it as "distorted" is clearly misdirection. It is distorted only in the sense that it is changed from the original, and not necessarily in a bad way.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Point 5 must be expressed incorrectly, since one needs a sampling rate of at least 96 kHz to get a frequency response to 48 kHz, so the 24/96 (at least) isn't upsampled

Point 6 is mostly what I and others have been saying all along, although describing it as "distorted" is clearly misdirection. It is distorted only in the sense that it is changed from the original, and not necessarily in a bad way.

Yes agree

Bit of fake news here

Of course there actually isn't much musical content captured above 48khz, other than some timing information

Agree about alleged "distortion"

all upsampling algorithms add, and filters create issues , which can have elements of distortion, its not desired, not specific to MQA, as always in engineering there are trade-offs

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
"What really matters? The signal that reaches the speaker or the sound that reaches your ears?"

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
From what I understand, the MQA seminar at RMAF 2017 is cancelled.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
"What really matters? The signal that reaches the speaker or the sound that reaches your ears?"

That is an excellent question...
In a perfect world, the two should be exactly the same, the speaker should convert the signal without any distortion whatsoever..pity that this is so rarely( or maybe ever)the case!

To answer Alex's question as to why I started this thread( and the point of it)....well for me it was because I had heard another factor regarding MQA that was of concern to me (along with similar points to those that MQA Truth posted)...and that was, that it was potentially nothing more than a scam!
Therefore, I thought it may be appropriate and more honest to a) discuss this possibility and b) alert those that were impressed by the demos...like myself, that perhaps there was something else going on. Something else that was not quite so obvious to all. Including myself and Alex!!

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In a perfect world, the two should be exactly the same, the speaker should convert the signal without any distortion whatsoever..pity that this is so rarely( or maybe ever)the case!

To answer Alex's question as to why I started this thread( and the point of it)....well for me it was because I had heard another factor regarding MQA that was of concern to me (along with similar points to those that MQA Truth posted)...and that was, that it was potentially nothing more than a scam!
Therefore, I thought it may be appropriate and more honest to a) discuss this possibility and b) alert those that were impressed by the demos...like myself, that perhaps there was something else going on. Something else that was not quite so obvious to all. Including myself and Alex!!

Alex does not seem to share your newfound concerns. I am curious about MQA Truth's identity and the motivation behind his post. And I would welcome the contributions of your digital expert friend to this thread.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

I'll say! With all the controversy and variety of both opinions and factual observations that have been posted (even only here at WBF!) on MQA, you only just now started to wonder???

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

isn't your whole argument starting to fall apart?.....

Because, hasn't your argument been, you don't care about the technology, but you can judge by listening?

So what is the point of your friend the digital Maven?.....you heard what you heard "didn't you" ?

Many of us questioned that you might of been fooled or the technology was suspect, or the files themselves

you didn't listen to any of us, though ...oh no ..

But suddenly..even though you heard it was superior.....someone told you...its suspect...maybe u were ....could it be..."wrong"

So i am sorry....Either

you heard it sound better....but you were wrong

you heard it sound better...but you were tricked by the technology

you heard it sound better ....but someone was manipulating the event

you heard it sound better...but we shouldn't take your opinion with a grain of salt...because you haven't really got a clue?

I am at a loss to your argument?

its good to see MQAtruth...a stand up guy...on this website...is your supporter...even though some of his/her's/it's claims were expressed by others, and may or may not be true....

Seriously...seriously?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Isn't "scam" a bit harsh ?

A scam is an illegal plan to make money by fooling people

Meridian seems to be a legitimate long standing company

Obviously it's aim is to make money

It has a legitimate patent for MQA

It's main purpose is to make a single download file which can be different things to different end users

This can all be confirmed technically

It's has a secondary aim of manipulating the data stream to make it sound more pleasant to the listener

This is clearly stated, not something it hides

Where is the scam in this

I agree MQA authentification is a bit of licencing hyperbole, not the first hifi company to do that

The compression and unfolding and dithering are all in the patent

The inability to see what it is they are doing/sealing is a parallel with SACD as a virtually uncrackable file

Doesn't mean it's not legitimate, as dsd is as a technology

Just they are protecting their IP, whether substantive or not

.....should we be looking for communists under our beds next ?

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Meridian seems to be a legitimate long standing company

Obviously it's aim is to make money

That's not at all obvious from the evidence. Which is that Meridian hasn't been profitable over almost all its years of trading. So either the aim is not to make money or they're aiming for it but lack basic business competence to achieve their aim.

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013

Signal is an electric impulse. Sound is a mechanical wave. You hear the mechanical wave and you measure the electric impulse. Signal is technology. Sound is part of nature. Listen to recorded music is a hobby. Technology is another hobby.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Awsmone, it wasn't just myself who heard the fact that the MQA files sounded better, it was the whole group....no exceptions. I have NEVER stated that my opinion of the difference in SQ has changed, because it has not. What concerns me now, which is something that perhaps you are not comprehending, is the fact that the whole group believed that the difference was solely due to the MQA process, where in fact this might not have been the case ( or that the MQA process is nothing more than a simple upsample....commonly available to all at no additional charge ). Since you have not heard MQA and the demos been given, your skepticism struck me as very odd, based solely on what---what you had read somewhere or some other aspect...please do elaborate. (Particularly, as you now seem to want to defend the technology and the company behind it?? ) So what were your negative posts based on before, being a naysayer just because you could?? Please advice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Awsmone, it wasn't just myself who heard the fact that the MQA files sounded better, it was the whole group....no exceptions. I have NEVER stated that my opinion of the difference in SQ has changed, because it has not. What concerns me now, which is something that perhaps you are not comprehending, is the fact that the whole group believed that the difference was solely due to the MQA process, where in fact this might not have been the case. Since you have not heard MQA and the demos been given, your skepticism struck me as very odd, based solely on what---what you had read somewhere or some other aspect...please do elaborate. (Particularly, as you now seem to want to defend the technology and the company behind it?? ) So what were your negative posts based on before, being a naysayer just because you could?? Please advice.

DaveyF,

You completely failed to demonstrate or explain clearly your seemingly absurd theory (perhaps because you failed to understand what you were explained or just presented a too short summary) and protect yourself on the anonymity of your source.

Any sound reproduction comparison in a demo or shop can be easily cheated - but IMHO the people who took part in the sessions you refer are serious and credible people. So, unless you present something acceptable for debate I also can not understand the reason why you started this thread.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I think that's a pretty fair statement right there Davey! Definitely seems like the whole group was affected in some way or the other...

Whether it was positive or negative, not too sure as I was not present myself but that could have been an enjoyable one. I have come across far too many specialized demo's using various tweaks & gizmo's... hence the reason why nowadays I don't visit a single dealer's demo, unless it was a place I am very familiar with or a person's house. I have also noticed even on similar gear, the overall sound was quite drastically different with the use of added enhancements... personally I don't fancy such auditions whatsoever.
Thanks to my "golden ears" I can tell straight away whether there are any artifices going on... and it seems like the group who attended with Davey have come across it as well.

Excellent, now that's sorted out, we can retreat back to enjoying our music!
Cheers, Davey
RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think that's a pretty fair statement right there Davey! Definitely seems like the whole group was affected in some way or the other...

Whether it was positive or negative, not too sure as I was not present myself but that could have been an enjoyable one. I have come across far too many specialized demo's using various tweaks & gizmo's... hence the reason why nowadays I don't visit a single dealer's demo, unless it was a place I am very familiar with or a person's house. I have also noticed even on similar gear, the overall sound was quite drastically different with the use of added enhancements... personally I don't fancy such auditions whatsoever.
Thanks to my "golden ears" I can tell straight away whether there are any artifices going on... and it seems like the group who attended with Davey have come across it as well.

Excellent, now that's sorted out, we can retreat back to enjoying our music!
Cheers, Davey
RJ

Thanks RJ, I am supposing that you are responding to my post and not to Micro's above, LOL...:D

The whole group, I would say there were maybe thirty of us, all responded in the same way as I did. Is it possible that we all have tin ears...it is, but I think the differences were pretty obvious...and to all, impressive. This is not the point of my concern, it is what I stated above.
Indeed, lets get back to enjoying music...after all that's what this hobby is all about...I think??? :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing