OK, everybody have a new 4K TV now ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/1/16239250/sharp-8k-tv-ifa-aquos

...Now that 3D is dead and that 4K is about to follow the same demise.
Our investments keep growing bigger with dividends, and so are technologies to keep up with.
And true 4K projectors are starting to appear, from $5,000 way up the sky's the limit. But no 8K front projectors.

Are you feeling Sharp? ...Like 8K sharp. ...Sounds atmos like shark. ;)
Hey, we knew this was coming. I know a guy who just bought a brand new 4K TV today. How long you have yours? ...Six months, twelve?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Good...that's what's supposed to happen. As technology advances,the market should discount heavily the older models. Only one problem, lack of software.
Bob,I'll be in the market next year for a 75+ TV the lower the better.

A good read about digital IMAX theater.
http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/f16/t003084/p3.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Roger, thank you.

"The Film-Tech Forums are designed for various members related to the cinema industry to express their opinions, viewpoints and testimonials on various products, services and events based upon speculation, personal knowledge and factual information through use, therefore all views represented here allow no liability upon the publishers of this web site and the owners of said views assume no liability for any ill will resulting from these postings. The posts made here are for educational as well as entertainment purposes and as such anyone viewing this portion of the website must accept these views as statements of the author of that opinion and agrees to release the authors from any and all liability."
___

Any hurricane coming towards Las Vegas?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger, thank you.

"The Film-Tech Forums are designed for various members related to the cinema industry to express their opinions, viewpoints and testimonials on various products, services and events based upon speculation, personal knowledge and factual information through use, therefore all views represented here allow no liability upon the publishers of this web site and the owners of said views assume no liability for any ill will resulting from these postings. The posts made here are for educational as well as entertainment purposes and as such anyone viewing this portion of the website must accept these views as statements of the author of that opinion and agrees to release the authors from any and all liability."

Bob,never read that before...it's a classic....lol
___

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just got my Costco Holiday Flyer. We have an old 720 40" Westinghouse flat screen that has a little image burned in the screen which is annoying. Don't use it much - no cable, just some bluray discs and some Amazon Prime and You tube once in a while. I see a bunch of 4K Ultra TV's in the Costco brochure. All the cheap ones have wifi 802.11ac and Motion 120. All are Samsung.

40" $299.99
49" $399.99
55" $489.99
55" Curved $589.99
65" $799.99
65" curve $949.99
75" $1699.99

Then a bunch with motion 240
55" $879.99
65" $1279.99
65" curve $1479.99
75" $2279.99

A few LG's some with OLED

49" $379.99
55" $479.99
75" $1599.99
86" motion 240 $4999.99
55" OLED $1649.99
65" OLED $2649.99

Finally a couple of VISIO 4K Ultra HD
70" Clear Action 180 $979.99
70" Clear Action 360 $1299.99

Any recommendations for good value. Seems like you pay a lot extra for 240 motion vs. 120 motion. Also any advantage to Curve vs Flat. I do mostly opera blu-rays, although I have some startrek and james bond movies in bluray. I have a place I could put a larger TV, maybe up to 86". A couple of reference points. I paid about $400 for the Westinghouse a few years ago at Costco. My first large screen TV was a Sony 40" (not such a flat screen) for $2400 for a demo model. All this 4K stuff and OLED is a bit confusing. I just am in the 1080 vs 720 era.

Thanks, Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Larry, the Internet is packed with the best rated TVs, and best value.

1. I would go flat, because curved has no advantage geometry wise.
Curved is fine for 200 feet wide screens, but for a TV, it's a superfluous fashion that never took off, fortunately.

2. From the list of models and prices you just posted, LG 4K OLEDs are considered the very best.

3. Go as big as you can, afford...within your decided budget.

4. Value is relative; we all have different budgets, priorities, money to dispose freely.

Read the pro reviews of the models and sizes you're interested in, with the ones doing comparisons.
But like I said, LG OLED 4K TVs are rated number one, along with Sony OLED 4K TVs.
Larger than 65" from those will add a considerable premium price.

I posted few threads with the top rated TVs here in a not too distant past.
They are still rock solid today, and both LG and Sony OLED 4K TVs are predominantly mentioned.

Go to your local video stores, check what impact a 86" TV screen has; it's big and impressive, very tempting. That 86" LG LED 4K TV is five grands, but it is not OLED, so the picture is much bigger, much more grandiose and immersive, but not the same OLED picture quality. The 75" Samsung LED 4K TV, the same, even if it is only $1,700 ... it's a balance of all your desires.
The 70" Visio LED 4K TV is great value too for just $980 (Clear Action 180), but this ain't no OLED.

It's not that easy between the best, OLED, and the size, say from 65" to 86", and the price, say from $1,000 to $5,000 ... it's like when you know for sure you married the right woman; you were made for each other, in total embrace for the better and the even better...right into the next Galaxy.

From what you just said; musical Operas on Blu-ray, and the other regular 1080p Blu-rays, ...Star Trek, James Bond, etc., OLED is best, and the largest is 65"
The LG motion 240hz LED 86" is the biggest and almost twice as much money.
...And the other sizes between.

From my post, are you closer than before? :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Panasonic OLED 4K TV review (available in Canada):

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...eview-often-achieving-oled-picture-perfection

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, the Internet is packed with the best rated TVs, and best value.

1. I would go flat, because curved has no advantage geometry wise.
Curved is fine for 200 feet wide screens, but for a TV, it's a superfluous fashion that never took off, fortunately.

2. From the list of models and prices you just posted, LG 4K OLEDs are considered the very best.

3. Go as big as you can, afford...within your decided budget.

4. Value is relative; we all have different budgets, priorities, money to dispose freely.

Read the pro reviews of the models and sizes you're interested in, with the ones doing comparisons.
But like I said, LG OLED 4K TVs are rated number one, along with Sony OLED 4K TVs.
Larger than 65" from those will add a considerable premium price.

I posted few threads with the top rated TVs here in a not too distant past.
They are still rock solid today, and both LG and Sony OLED 4K TVs are predominantly mentioned.

Go to your local video stores, check what impact a 86" TV screen has; it's big and impressive, very tempting. That 86" LG LED 4K TV is five grands, but it is not OLED, so the picture is much bigger, much more grandiose and immersive, but not the same OLED picture quality. The 75" Samsung LED 4K TV, the same, even if it is only $1,700 ... it's a balance of all your desires.
The 70" Visio LED 4K TV is great value too for just $980 (Clear Action 180), but this ain't no OLED.

It's not that easy between the best, OLED, and the size, say from 65" to 86", and the price, say from $1,000 to $5,000 ... it's like when you know for sure you married the right woman; you were made for each other, in total embrace for the better and the even better...right into the next Galaxy.

From what you just said; musical Operas on Blu-ray, and the other regular 1080p Blu-rays, ...Star Trek, James Bond, etc., OLED is best, and the largest is 65"
The LG motion 240hz LED 86" is the biggest and almost twice as much money.
...And the other sizes between.

From my post, are you closer than before? :b

Sorry for the delay in reply and thanks. The Costco sale starts tomorrow and I will use your advice to take a look. Much appreciated. All this new stuff is pretty confusing. I haven't looked at TV's since 1080p was the new best thing. Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I remember paying $5,000 for a 50 inch plasma TV in 2005 or 2006....and then watched the prices tumble to my dismay.

Now I am seeing a low end 50 inch 4k TV for $170 on a Black Friday special at Best Buy.

Holding out for 65" or 75" OLED but don't want to pay the early adaptor premium this time around. Still not enough 4k material out for me to make the move.

But I did check out 4k TV's at Best Buy on a lark the other day.....which means I will begin talking myself into the OLED in the near future. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing