Top 3 Obscure Demo Tracks - Poll

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hello gents,

I am beginning to build a playlist for RMAF and have a need for some more tracks to fill in certain areas. I am looking for a broad range of material. With that said, I was hoping the members here might be able to turn me on to some more obscure pieces that do exceptionally well in showcasing a system. In my searches, I've found hundreds of great songs that are a joy to listen to, but simply don't do a system 'justice'. I also refuse to be the guy who plays Keith Don't Go and Diana Krall on loop. Admittedly, I am adding one Diana Krall song to the mix. :eek:

So, what are your top three obscure tracks that have had others rush to jot down the artist/song? If they can be found on Tidal, that is a definite plus.

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hello gents,

I am beginning to build a playlist for RMAF and have a need for some more tracks to fill in certain areas. I am looking for a broad range of material. With that said, I was hoping the members here might be able to turn me on to some more obscure pieces that do exceptionally well in showcasing a system. In my searches, I've found hundreds of great songs that are a joy to listen to, but simply don't do a system 'justice'. I also refuse to be the guy who plays Keith Don't Go and Diana Krall on loop. Admittedly, I am adding one Diana Krall song to the mix. :eek:

So, what are your top three obscure tracks that have had others rush to jot down the artist/song? If they can be found on Tidal, that is a definite plus.

Just listening to this stunner,
Tony Allen, Cruising from the album The Source and its on Tidal. Wonderful production and sound quality. Turn it up!

Also just listened to Tori Amos new album, Nick Mulvey and Daughter and they all suck soundwise.
What has gone wrong with some of these new releases.

Cheers
Blue58

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Hands Up" Blood Orange (or any track from 'Freetown Sound')
"Tangerine" Beach Fossils
"Mandy" The Bad Plus

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Keith Greeninger, Close to the soul. Blue Coast Records.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
"It is a superb album. Startas' fresh approach blending all kinds of influences to such gorgeous whole, is a very welcome audition to the world of music. Track three is audiophile heaven. If that does not sound good on your system, you better start tuning"!
Computer Audiophile
https://www.soundliaison.com/studio-masters/240-startas-orkester

And from the same label forum member App suggests these two in his music for testing audio equipment thread;

https://www.soundliaison.com/
Placement is perfect on this young audiophile classic as well as the near perfect natural recording of the voice, but the real test for audio equipment when listening to this recording is it's ability to separate the kickdrum from the upright bass.
The two instruments are playing the same pattern. On less than optimum equipment it might be difficult to separate the two, but with good setup you clearly hear the upright at 2.00 and the kick dead center with a nice decay that one generally do not hear on commercial recordings.
There are lots of speakers and headphones with ''extended lows'' but low with definition is a whole different ballgame.

Andre Heuvelman's rendition of Astor Piazzolla's master piece have a great sense of depth. Every instrument sounds rich and full with a gorgeus natural decay. On lesser equipment the sound of each instrument can become a bit of a blur while on good equipment the sound of each instrument should be clearly defined with a clear sense of the room this recording have been recorded in.
Same goes for Joni's wonderful standards collection, it is a big hall you are listening to.

(I just had a newsletter announcing that the downloads are on special offer this week, 33% off.)

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Obvious solution;

The Visual Sound
Recording engineer Frans de Rond is proving once again that his knowledge of mic placement and use of equipment is in a class of his own.
He is able to create a sound stage, that projects an almost visual image of the musicians.
A sound stage which is intimate but also has depth and space, like a three dimensional Van Gogh painting where you can step in and take a look around.
The Sound Liaison DXD sampler contains 10 tracks from our latest 10 releases.
All have been recorded using state of the art equipment.

Of special interest to the audiophile community might be tracks 2, 3, 6 & 9.
These tracks have been recorded using just one microphone, the Josephson C700S.
The advantages of the One Microphone approach to recording are obvious: perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism and phase coherence.
The phase coherence makes them ideal for optimizing speaker placement and finding the optimal listening position, the sweet spot.

PhonoDac2704

Oct 31, 2020
Infamous celtic punk from depok, indonesia. Uplifting, solid sounds, hell energy.

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing