Lampi Super Komputer tubed S/PDIF Digital OUT

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thoughts anyone?
I absolutely love my Eera Tentation cdp, but it doesn't have a digital IN socket.
However there is a possibility I could get them to mod the existing BNC Digital OUT to create an S/PDIF Digital IN, and hence use w aforementioned socket on the SK.
What do you all think?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But why did you decide on the Lampi SK?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Purely compelled by the fact I want to stay Eera
My Tentation doesn't have a Digital IN, but the current BNC Digital OUT could be modded to use as a SPDIF Digital IN
And this could utilise the SK tubed SPDIF Digital OUT
From what I gather, this SK SPDIF is head and shoulders above all others
Double bubble in that I keep the Eera as standalone cdp as well, and gain a dac, meaning I don't have to find the expense of a new dac, just the streamer
And w me possibly buying a sexy new Italian tt/refurbed arm, saving on an unnecessary dac suits me v well, esp as I rate the Eera extremely highly

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thoughts anyone?
I absolutely love my Eera Tentation cdp, but it doesn't have a digital IN socket.
However there is a possibility I could get them to mod the existing BNC Digital OUT to create an S/PDIF Digital IN, and hence use w aforementioned socket on the SK.
What do you all think?

Did you talk to them already about modding the BNC out to SPDIF in? I Wonder what that would cost.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wisnon, just requested this.
I'm a died in the wool cd man, the thought of going to streaming leaves me cold, just a little bit anxious.
Additionally, I am absolutely in love w my Eera cdp, it's one if the biggest secrets/uber performers at its price and well beyond in audio.
So, if I can find a way to reinvent it as dual purpose cdp and dac, keep my digital signature by not having to go with a brand new, unfamiliar dac as well as necessity for a streamer, this would really suit me.
Any comments to entice me to go B7, GG or new Pacific will be gently deflected.
Just need to know how good the SK tubed SPDIF is, esp in a digital world dominated by USB and Ethernet.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon, just requested this.
I'm a died in the wool cd man, the thought of going to streaming leaves me cold, just a little bit anxious.
Additionally, I am absolutely in love w my Eera cdp, it's one if the biggest secrets/uber performers at its price and well beyond in audio.
So, if I can find a way to reinvent it as dual purpose cdp and dac, keep my digital signature by not having to go with a brand new, unfamiliar dac as well as necessity for a streamer, this would really suit me.
Any comments to entice me to go B7, GG or new Pacific will be gently deflected.
Just need to know how good the SK tubed SPDIF is, esp in a digital world dominated by USB and Ethernet.

Not trying to entice, just intrigued with the mod and what it would entail/cost.

I know you love your CDP and have so stated ad infinitum.

The tubed Spdif from the old Lampi Transport was great, apparently. Never heard it but pals who had it swore by it. I saw on scopes how the digi-lampizator circuit squared up the digital signal.

Throw Tidal in the mix and you may finally abandon the spinning silver disk! Nah, I dont abandon mine either.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Wisnon, I am a bit of a bore online LOL.
My audio choices are a bit under the radar, I like to make them visible when I can.
I think this is the way to go for me, cut the cost of unneeded dac, a bit of this budget to the SPDIF mod, and I'm good to go.
I see my future unfold before me...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
So is there a new version of the SKomputer being unveiled, along with the Pacific ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So is there a new version of the SKomputer being unveiled, along with the Pacific ?

Not sure, but audiophile Bill has a newer version from before.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Yes, its been released a month ago. Totally new Power supply scheme (7 PSUs) that took a year to design. Only Linux/Roon supported now, though one is free to use Windows unsupported.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, its been released a month ago. Totally new Power supply scheme (7 PSUs) that took a year to design. Only Linux/Roon supported now, though one is free to use Windows unsupported.

It's a newer one but not part of a joint Pacific launch? I regard the Pacific launch as much more special and the SK as an expected improvement.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Why not strive for better sound than the Eera sound.
I was 'enamoured/in love' with my Audio Aero, another tube output Dac, but when I heard good digital it blew it away.
I think there is a tendency to try to emulate an existing sound when you change components, a sort of longing for the familiar.
Go out on a limb and try something new. It may give you another epiphany

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It's a newer one but not part of a joint Pacific launch? I regard the Pacific launch as much more special and the SK as an expected improvement.

Exactly.
its all about the KILLER Pac.

the SK CAN BOAST OF USING ZERO off the shelf parts though and almost negligible PSU ripple. Regal power.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, the idea of using my Eera w SK is twofold
1- maintain my digital house sound but open up streaming options
2- save money not buying a superfluous dac
Same budget of Eera mod and SK would get me eg an Innuous Zenith streamer and Schiit Yggy or Aqua La Voce dac w Sablon USB and PCs

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess maybe I should rephrase my q.
Since de facto USB input is superior to SPDIF, but the SK has a superior SPDIF than most, tubed I believe, is it indeed a compromise in 2017 to use a statement server like the SK and restrict its use to SPDIF over USB, purely in order to utilise a cdp dac section that I'm absolutely mad about, but can only be used via SPDIF?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I guess maybe I should rephrase my q.
Since de facto USB input is superior to SPDIF, but the SK has a superior SPDIF than most, tubed I believe, is it indeed a compromise in 2017 to use a statement server like the SK and restrict its use to SPDIF over USB, purely in order to utilise a cdp dac section that I'm absolutely mad about, but can only be used via SPDIF?

No, I get what you are trying to do...plus you have other outputs on the SK, to add a bit of future-proofing as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wisnon, as someone who knows Lampi inside out, incl the SK, how do you rate using the tubed SPDIF OUT as opposed to the more standard USB?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon, as someone who knows Lampi inside out, incl the SK, how do you rate using the tubed SPDIF OUT as opposed to the more standard USB?

I actually dont know that SK and even the older transport personally. I may have heard the Transport at a show, BUT many pals have given me feedback and I toyed with tubing the output of a Universal player I had where I tapped the audio out resistor of relevant audio chip and ran it straight to spdif out, bypassing the messy PCB. I have seen the oscilloscope readings showing the squared up digital signal on the old Lampi DIY blog.

The Tubed Spdif is way better than normal SPDIFs on Lampi and so I get what you are trying to do. The new SK has SEVEN separate PSU with superb bespoke parts in there and many tricks...it is no joke. My pal builds his own great servers but told me that after chatting with Lukasz he concedes the SK is on another level conceptually.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing