Gryphon Audio is Relaunched in the USA at The Source AV!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
image10.JPG

After nearly 15 years of not being available in North America Gryphon Audio Designs is re-introduced into the USA by Philip O'Hanlon of On A Higher Note and by Jason Lord of The Source AV, in Torrance, CA! Flemming Rasmussen, Founder of Gryphon Audio Designs, devoted many years and much effort to finding in North America the perfect distributor whom Flemming could trust to represent properly Gryphon in the USA and Canada and to fully support and take care of North American clients.

image1.JPG

Tonight Jason Lord and Philip and Pandora O'Hanlon showed the Gryphon Audio Pantheon loudspeaker, a three-way system with two 8” bass and two 5” midrange drivers and an air motion tweeter. The system response is 25 Hz to 40,000 Hz, - 3dB. The cabinet is ported with extensive internal bracing.

image1 copy.JPG

The sound was vivid, very dynamic, and very transparent! Only a digital source was played, but I could not fault in any way the sound of the Pantheon. It sounded fantastic to me, albeit on this brief listen in an unfamiliar system and unfamiliar room. (But Jason Lord is an expert on room acoustics, and each of his sound rooms is very carefully and thoughtfully treated.) I think the Pantheon represents very good value for money.

The fact that I liked very much the sound of the Pantheon is no surprise. I would not be surprised if the 8" woofers and the air motion tweeter in the Pantheon are the same drivers used in the Pendragon. I have yet to hear a Gryphon loudspeaker which did not, to my ears, sound fantastic. And I have heard Gryphon speakers driven only by solid-state electronics.

With a MSRP of $52,000, it will be very interesting to see how the Rockport Technologies Cygnus and the Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktiv and the Wilson Audio Alexia 2, among other similarly priced speakers, will compete with the Pantheon. Among the Cygnus, the VR-55 Aktive, the Alexia 2 and the Pantheon, only the Pantheon employs a D'Appolito (midrange-tweeter-midrange) driver configuration, although the top-of-the-line products from both Rockport and VSA utilize this driver configuration.

image4.jpg

Don Saltzman, of The Absolute Sound, attended the event, and he was pleasantly surprised to see such a huge, old-school audio/video showroom in the Los Angeles area. The Source AV has three full-featured home theater set-ups, with the largest featuring the entire Macintosh Reference line of speakers and electronics as well as two JL Audio Gotham subwoofers. There are at least five audio sound rooms. (Don, by the way, was very approachable and down-to-earth and delighted to talk all things high-end audio. He is a very thoughtful and conscientious reviewer, and one of the very few reviewers who actually carefully compares components under review with competing products.)

The Source AV also has the largest selection of high-end headphones in the country.

image11.JPG

Philip is planning to exhibit the tall, one column Trident II, with four 8" drivers, in the near future, as well as the four column Kodo -- Gryphon's flagship speaker -- sometime thereafter. Philip will be distributing and Jason will be exhibiting both Gryphon speakers and Gryphon's world famous Class A amplifiers, as well as pre-amplifiers, DACs and the top-selling Diablo 300 integrated amplifier.

The availability of Gryphon products in North America is very likely going to shake up the U.S. market for state-of-the-art Class A solid-state amplifiers and loudspeakers.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Good for you guys. I had the Gryphon Colosseum Monoblocks for a while and very nice they were too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic news for Gryphon, for the O'Hanlons and also for Source AV! Wow...huge spaces and the biggest collection of headphones in the US as well. Amazing.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard the Alexia 2, but not for long enough in controlled conditions to support the comment I wrote a bit hastily at 12:30 am this morning when I first started the thread, so I have corrected my comment.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
By the way, Pandora O'Hanlon is a perfect name as the new distributors...the reference preamp is even 'named after her'!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At the event Pandora displayed many beautiful pieces of art by artists whose Pandora's Downtown Los Angeles gallery represents and exhibits.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I have heard the Alexia 2, but not for long enough in controlled conditions to support the comment I wrote a bit hastily at 12:30 am this morning when I first started the thread, so I have corrected my comment.
Thanks for your reply.Glad you liked what I think is a really good speaker.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Good to know for North US but not too sure what the Australian buyer in this category thinks of as "value for money" at 52 grand for a pair of speakers...

As terms of value for money, I sincerely think the CLX's priced at 32grand in down unda land beats all those lofty contenders... and to add further Apogee's, Maggies, and Audio Analysis ribbons are also value for money, going way under these price tags vs performance. They are superb transducers, delivering all the speed, transparency and articulation you would ever need. I couldn't find anything lacking in either of these panel types, only major differences being the room and electronics. I guess I'm not making a fair comparison with dynamic drivers vs panels but why on earth would someone even spend this kind of money on audio, seriously. There are way too many world wide issues taking place, yet alone in our own lives, with other actual real world priorities... We have Nth Korea to keep an eye on as well...

But then again as Ron stated, value for money in this category of spend, where people with means would typically see 52 grand as "affordable". I guess the ones I've mentioned above are entry level. Anyway, all the best to that range and to the ultra high-end. There will always be another one to improve on and the price goes even further. I am sure Wilson and Rockport will find a way in there...

Cheers and no pun intended to the upper class, just enjoying the humble entry level gear in every way possible.
big woof, RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Good to know for North US but not too sure what the Australian buyer in this category thinks of as "value for money" at 52 grand for a pair of speakers...

As terms of value for money, I sincerely think the CLX's priced at 32grand in down unda land beats all those lofty contenders... and to add further Apogee's, Maggies, and Audio Analysis ribbons are also value for money, going way under these price tags vs performance. They are superb transducers, delivering all the speed, transparency and articulation you would ever need. I couldn't find anything lacking in either of these panel types, only major differences being the room and electronics. I guess I'm not making a fair comparison with dynamic drivers vs panels but why on earth would someone even spend this kind of money on audio, seriously. There are way too many world wide issues taking place, yet alone in our own lives, with other actual real world priorities... We have Nth Korea to keep an eye on as well...

But then again as Ron stated, value for money in this category of spend, where people with means would typically see 52 grand as "affordable". I guess the ones I've mentioned above are entry level. Anyway, all the best to that range and to the ultra high-end. There will always be another one to improve on and the price goes even further. I am sure Wilson and Rockport will find a way in there...

Cheers and no pun intended to the upper class, just enjoying the humble entry level gear in every way possible.
big woof, RJ

+1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

big woof, RJ

Dear RJ,

The only reason I am replying to your post is because I like you. Except for one of your points these are old and tiresome topics, so please let's drop them after you read my first five replies.

1) I know you love the CLX, we all know you love the CLX -- and that is great. But isn't there a reason we do not all drive the same make and model of car? Not everyone loves the CLX as much as you do. Just because you find the CLX to be perfect or nearly perfect does not mean everyone else does too. Many audiophiles do not like panel speakers. You may not find anything lacking in panel speakers, but many audiophiles do find things lacking in them.

2) I do not think I ever wrote that $52,000 was "affordable."

3) I expect non-audiophiles to ridicule audiophiles for spending so much money on speakers, but I do not expect it from one of our own. Wouldn't many people find the price of your beloved CLX silly expensive and completely frivolous? So it all depends on where you are sitting, and what your interests are, doesn't it?

4) Do you think this way when someone spends $52,000 on a cool vehicle you like?

5) You know we do not talk politics here.

6) Your one interesting point is that I agree that with panel speakers you get to great sound quality at a lower price point than you do with dynamic driver speakers. This is because it takes a lot of expense and engineering and exotic materials to eradicate the negative effects of locating drivers in a box.

Feel free to send me a private message if you wish to pursue anything on 1) to 5), above.

Now let's get back to the excellent Gryphon products! :)

Reactions: Another Johnson

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Ronnie boy!
Sorry mate, that's how we great people down unda. I know sometimes it seems a bit off, I'm still getting used to it after nearly 15 years living in Melbourne...

No, I don't need to PM you on any points, since I am as transparent as the CLX's- ha!

All points noted mate, and yes they are justifiable.

In fact, this is where the good wife comes to mind; Many years ago in a galaxy far far away... I used to be one of those high class types, or at least I think I was, until several incidences hit me hard! And all these incidences happened only after we migrated to Australia.

Three major ones:
1. The purchase of Wilson's and Lamm gear- subsequently lost my job due to retrenchment for the third bloody time...
2. Sold off my last expensive CJ gear- due to making ends meet (after 3 retrenchments and 2 shut downs) total of 5 setbacks...
3. Lost our beloved kitten 'Truffles'- this was the hardest hit I had ever faced.

Then the good wife always used to say, why spend so much on this silly/crazy/obnoxious passion that I am disillusioned by, wake up and smell the roses dammit!
And you what? She was absolutely right! So I started all over again, went to church or temple, cannot remember which place of worship as I was probably intoxicated... and vented out all my steam. Hit the gym a good couple months and signed up with a personal trainer for over a year. Shed a few more kilos and looking good!
Getting a few winks from the lady folks, or least thinking I am... The wifey says that I have turned completely for the better, listen to her more than ever, actually give a dam about the less fortunate and also have a much more positive attitude to others and various walks of life.

Believe me, from where I originally come from, we are probably one of the most outlandish outfits, although we don't admit our very own prejudices...

So having said that, there is no argument here whatsoever Ron, and thank you for liking me. In fact I like everyone, and have learned an awful lot from this forum and its members, and a very special thanks to Mr. K. Without this forum, I wouldn't have met him nor ever thought of anything much of an improvement Re. to Martin Logan's, being a previous CLS owner... Extremely happy I have ventured back into the world of Martin Logan, which I didn't want to after having a disastrous time with Quads, still regretting!

Gryphon is a force to reckon with. The few times I have auditioned their systems in Singapore was just marvelous! I used to always try to compare them with Genesis or Infinities, which I also did own in a galaxy far away... I used to own a lot of fantastic things in that far away galaxy but I don't miss it one bit, simply because that was not reality.

Just to clear things up; that remark I made about "affordable" wasn't referring to you, that was my phrase. I believe yours was "value for money" at 52 grand...
Anyway, as I stated above, all justified, and yes we do have different views and tastes/preferences but one thing that is common for sure is- we must enjoy our music!

It is always a pleasure to come across these new posts and see what elaborate systems are out there. The only major down side, over here it is certainly not easy to find these systems or people who have similar gear, where you could drive up and visit and just listen. I remember back in the US, during my good old student days, although I was there for only 5-6 years, the amount of experience and wealth I gained from the majority of auditions is priceless. Wish I could listen to some of your great systems and learn as well...

Cheers to Gryphon, they are top notch systems, no doubt. I have listened to their big Poseidon systems on my last trip to Spore, and can be easily compared to the big Genesis of today as well as the Wilson's. Rockport is one I have not yet come across in live auditions. Maybe on my next trip to Thailand to visit my bro, perhaps I'll check it out just to learn something new...
Have a good one Ron, another big woof! RJ

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good evening there, RJ!

I am sorry to read about all those set-backs.

Sometimes the wifey knows best!

Yes, it is about enjoying the music!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing