Rumors about the new iPhone

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It took me less than 10 minutes to realize that ios 11 is one hell of an operating system - it is REALLY impressive. Do take a look at this video, if you get the chance

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Last edited:

dftwing

Sep 29, 2017
Doesn't seem that Apple cares about computers any longer - their laptops are well behind the curve and they don't seem to have been in any hurry to update them.

My wife is an Apple lover (phone and tablet) much to my chagrin but I just could not bring myself to pay nearly 3x the price for an Apple laptop for her when an Asus Zenbook Flip with a 512gb SSD, 8 gigs of RAM and a better Intel processor was about 1/3 the price of a Macbook Pro. Asus was $529 and Apple was $1500.

May be a different decision for a true believer, but not for me.

No offense intended to Apple fans!

I respect your point of view. Asus has set its high standards too and I just love the latest laptops they released. Sleek and powerful.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've never bought a PC in my life. I've been an Apple user for the last fifteen years, recently purchased a new MacBook Air for my wife and only gave up my iPhone because we switched service providers and their deal for a Galaxy made more sense. As a piece of art it sucks, but as a phone to make calls, send texts and check emails it's fine but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi . . . [/I

You are lucky, then. I feel that if I had never bought a PC in my life -- and I had only bought Apple computers -- I would not hate computers nearly as much as I do.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Methinks they're both great $1000 phones...iPhone 8 vs Galaxy S8.
...And iPhone 8 Plus vs Galaxy Note 8.

And you have the upcoming Galaxy S9 and Galaxy X

I don't trust those incendiary devices from Samsung...

I wanted a better camera coming from iPhone 6 Plus. That was my primary motivation.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The dual camera lens on the new iPhone 8 is real nice. ...The reviews confirm it.
And the higher frame rates per second when shooting videos in slow-mo; that I really like.

And true; Samsung phones are a fire hazard. You made the right choice Christian.

This is a great camera comparison test, my favorite:
https://www.pcmag.com/article/356416/iphone-8-plus-vs-galaxy-note-8-camera-battle

"If you're one of the (seemingly) few individuals who are agnostic when it comes to preference between Android and iOS, and are choosing your phone based solely on camera performance and capability, you'll want to narrow your search to one of the dual-camera models. They give you more versatility when capturing images, as the shallow depth of field options deliver a look that you associate with a much larger, dedicated camera.

The iPhone 8 Plus has its strengths—its autoexposure tends to be better, especially in mixed lighting, and it we didn't see any extreme flare around bright lights when shooting night scenes like we did with the Note 8. It also tends to deliver photos with a shallower depth of field, offers more frame rate options for 4K video, and shoots slow-motion 1080p video.

The Note 8 does a better job with portraits of people, and keeps up with the iPhone for other subjects. When I tried the two side by side, they ran into similar problems with tricky subjects. The Note 8's secondary camera is optically stabilized, so video shot with it is steadier, which isn't the case with the iPhone 8 Plus. But the iPhone's wide-angle camera offers better stabilization than Samsung's.

If you don't want a big phone, and you don't want to wait or spend the money for the iPhone X (which promises to deliver as good or better overall performance than the 8 Plus), you'll likely be shopping for an iPhone 8 or Galaxy S8, both of which use the same main camera as their larger siblings.

The S8's main camera delivers photos that are slightly wider in angle, albeit sometimes over-sharpened when shooting JPGs. This means that photos shot at low ISOs show a little more pop than you get from the iPhone 8, but as the sensitivity ramps up the two phones deliver more similar results. It's not until ISO 800 that the Note 8 shows a very slight advantage.

Indeed, what you get from the iPhone 8 and S8's main lenses, from a still-capture perspective, are so close that it really should come down to what other phone features you like better, and which operating platform you prefer. If you want significantly better images, stop shooting with your phone and buy a camera. Compact models with 1-inch sensors will run circles around a smartphone in pure image quality, and if you think you'll use a bigger camera with regularity, you can opt for a mirrorless model or SLR with interchangeable lenses."

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I watched the entire presentation. I have an interest in the new X but I will have to see the actual size first. I prefer my 5SE size and would never consider the plus sized versions.

Last year my iPhone 5 literally fell apart as the screen unglued from the body. Anyway, I replaced it with a 7. However, I dropped the 7 more in the first three months than I did in four years with the 5. So, I am ordering a 5SE, and will use the 7 as a remote for the Lumin, and as a spare. At 6' 3" I find the size of the 5 to be perfect.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I got one for testing today
I like the display and the way to use it without the home button.
Sound quality has improved in my opinion over earlyer Lighting to Audio-Jacks. Enough power to drive my Beyerdynamics headphones resonably.
Can not comment on battery life yet.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have an iPhone X and love it. Ive had no issues with battery life as I can go 2,days without charging. The optics are superb and the speaker in it is better than any other iPhone I’ve owned. It’s smaller than my 6 plus yet has a larger screen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing