Techdas Air Force 3 VS Clearaudio Master Innovation

mikem

Mar 11, 2014
"I now have the only AF 1.5..."

Do you believe your's will remain the only or do you think TechDas might offer the bearing and platter upgrade for other AF2s?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Is there an AF1 Black Series? :p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"I now have the only AF 1.5..."

Do you believe your's will remain the only or do you think TechDas might offer the bearing and platter upgrade for other AF2s?

It is being looked into by TechDAS :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Not really, what I heard was a coloured sound almost without bass. Again, this is only in comparison to the AF2. I do not have much experience with TTs, so maybe this is how a 28K TT is supposed to sound in comparison to a 54K one. Maybe, it's a lack of suspension in AF3, and if you put on a proper TT platform, it would sound more neutral.

I have to respectfully disagree.
I recently bought AF 3 and currently have it with Graham Elite tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart cart.
One thing I can assure you of, there is no lack of bass whatsoever, purely objectively and in comparison to my previous Galibier Gavia 1.5 TT.
In terms of neutrality- it might be colored in comparison to much more expensive and more "neutral" tables, but I haven't heard any glaring colorations so far.
I want to emphasize my limited experience with having other tables in my own system.
I heard AF1 in 3 different systems, and it sounds different in every one of them (obviously), so it's hard to draw conclusions about it's "neutrality"

Reactions: nickif and mtemur

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recently bought AF 3 and currently have it with Graham Elite tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart cart.
One thing I can assure you of, there is no lack of bass whatsoever, purely objectively and in comparison to my previous Galibier Gavia 1.5 TT.
In terms of neutrality- it might be colored in comparison to much more expensive and more "neutral" tables, but I haven't heard any glaring colorations so far.
I want to emphasize my limited experience with having other tables in my own system.
I heard AF1 in 3 different systems, and it sounds different in every one of them (obviously), so it's hard to draw conclusions about it's "neutrality"

Maril, were you able to isolate the sound of the AF1 in each of those three systems? I have always found that to be extremely difficult, especially if there was no switching of source components and direct comparisons made. I have often incorrectly attributed something like "lack of bass" to an analog front end (turntable, arm, or cartridge) until the tonearm was adjusted for better VTA/SRA or cartridge loading was adjusted and then suddenly things sound much better. If the owner is unwilling to play around with it during the demo or simply has little experience with this, one can easily reach unfair conclusions. Then there is the distinction of bass "quality" versus bass "quantity". I have never heard the AF3, but I would tend to agree with you that it can not be highly "colored or almost without bass." That just doesn't make sense from such a serious design effort. I suppose it lacks some bass quality and extension compared to its more expensive sibling the AF2.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Maril, were you able to isolate the sound of the AF1 in each of those three systems? I have always found that to be extremely difficult, especially if there was no switching of source components and direct comparisons made. I have often incorrectly attributed something like "lack of bass" to an analog front end (turntable, arm, or cartridge) until the tonearm was adjusted for better VTA/SRA or cartridge loading was adjusted and then suddenly things sound much better. If the owner is unwilling to play around with it during the demo or simply has little experience with this, one can easily reach unfair conclusions. Then there is the distinction of bass "quality" versus bass "quantity". I have never heard the AF3, but I would tend to agree with you that it can not be highly "colored or almost without bass." That just doesn't make sense from such a serious design effort. I suppose it lacks some bass quality and extension compared to its more expensive sibling the AF2.
I never even tried to. I completely agree with you- if more, than one parameter of the system changes, then it becomes an exercise in futility.
And I agree with you on the other point- AF 3 is just a more economical version of AF 1 and 3, designed by the same person, and benefitting from a "trickle down" technology, implemented in more expensive model.
I doubt, Tech Das would have released a product with " great colorations and almost no bass"
My personal impressions so far, are fairly similar to all the AF 3 reviews, that I've read.
It certainly makes an impression of a highly engineered piece of equipment and the sound reflects that impression- well organized, refined and organic.
I don't want to mention all the "audiophile" descriptors- they are all there in spades.
And again, at this price point?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Maril, congratulations on the new table, glad to hear, that you are enjoying it.
My comments were only in comparison to the AF2. Maybe “lack of bass” is too strong a statement, but the AF3 definitely sounded lighter than the AF2. Is your table placed on some sort of an isolation platform?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Maril,

As a new owner of the AF3 (you, not me!) I would be very interested in your experience in terms of set up, arms and carts you have on and whether you have attempted to isolate the table given the missing suspension from the bigger brothers.

thanks

howie

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Maril, congratulations on the new table, glad to hear, that you are enjoying it.
My comments were only in comparison to the AF2. Maybe “lack of bass” is too strong a statement, but the AF3 definitely sounded lighter than the AF2. Is your table placed on some sort of an isolation platform?

The table is on SRA Scuttle rack

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am happy to hear this because also I am interesting to buy AF3 with Elite

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Maril,

As a new owner of the AF3 (you, not me!) I would be very interested in your experience in terms of set up, arms and carts you have on and whether you have attempted to isolate the table given the missing suspension from the bigger brothers.

thanks

howie

With regards to the set-up- it's very straightforward and fairly easy. I like the ability to height- adjust 4 feet.
It also allows for a calibration of the belt tension- the initial part of the process is done manually, and then the rest of it accomplished electronically,
locking in correct speed for any given tension.
At the same time, it allows you to "play" with different belt tension values, something, I haven't done yet.
The air floating platter and suction pump is extremely quiet and vibration free (to a degree). I haven't experimented with the pump isolation yet.
As I mentioned in another post, the table is on SRA Scuttle rack, that should in theory provide a stable platform and an isolation from vibration.
Articulating armboards is a very flexible way of setting spindle-to pivot distance, and, as you know, there are 4 of them (imagine the possibilities).
TechDas can supply armboards for 9-10" arms, and a different size for 12" ones.
I have 10" Graham Phantom Elite on it now, and ordered an armboard for my 12" Reed 3P, that I had before.
I personally am very interested in comparing these two arms on the same table with the same cartridge (NS Kiseki Purple Heart).
Overall, Air Force 3 gives an impression of a very well engineered piece of equipment, something, that I cannot say about some other TT's, I had in my system previously.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
With regards to the set-up- it's very straightforward and fairly easy. I like the ability to height- adjust 4 feet.
It also allows for a calibration of the belt tension- the initial part of the process is done manually, and then the rest of it accomplished electronically,
locking in correct speed for any given tension.
At the same time, it allows you to "play" with different belt tension values, something, I haven't done yet.
The air floating platter and suction pump is extremely quiet and vibration free (to a degree). I haven't experimented with the pump isolation yet.
As I mentioned in another post, the table is on SRA Scuttle rack, that should in theory provide a stable platform and an isolation from vibration.
Articulating armboards is a very flexible way of setting spindle-to pivot distance, and, as you know, there are 4 of them (imagine the possibilities).
TechDas can supply armboards for 9-10" arms, and a different size for 12" ones.
I have 10" Graham Phantom Elite on it now, and ordered an armboard for my 12" Reed 3P, that I had before.
I personally am very interested in comparing these two arms on the same table with the same cartridge (NS Kiseki Purple Heart).
Overall, Air Force 3 gives an impression of a very well engineered piece of equipment, something, that I cannot say about some other TT's, I had in my system previously.

Sounds like you're onto a winner there with a myriad of possibilities. Congrats and keep us updated along your arm board journey!

Howie

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Some news with new AF3 Premium?
If AF3 was far in the sound from AF2 like someone tested,AF3 Premium will be near and interesting

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Hi Peter,

You might be interested in this there's also a smaller model coming, the AS-800. I already heard the prototype it's about similar size and with very comparable sound to the Micro Seiki SX-8000 mkII. Unfortunately this will also be a very limited run of only 8 for next year because they're also individually hand machined like the big ones, pricing for the AS-800 will be in the Kronos Pro range with motor controller.

david

Sorry for replying to such an old post, but what happened to the AS-800?
Just curiosity btw, but would love to know more about it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sorry for replying to such an old post, but what happened to the AS-800?
Just curiosity btw, but would love to know more about it.
The design is finished but it's sidelined for now while we're working on a major new turntable, maybe after that but I'm not sure we have to see the market conditions.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The design is finished but it's sidelined for now while we're working on a major new turntable, maybe after that but I'm not sure we have to see the market conditions.

david
With your level of customer support and free upgrades, you can not afford to offer a cheaper TT David ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing