Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks for that Sujay,
Is that 30k US? - will be sticking with the GG I think, it is good when working properly.

Yeah, I am guessing from what I have been hearing.....I think for GG owners though, it may not be a bad idea to go GG2. Probably worth it. For someone like me going up from Big 7, a bit of a stretch considering there is no end to this. While Lukasz may have run out of oceans to name his DACs after, there are many >8000 meter peaks left right up to the Everest.......so I foresee another big league DAC from him soon!

Cheers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has the RRP been disclosed bonzo ?

I don't know RRPs but we have been given indications of upgrade cost, of which GG2 is a no brainer. Pacific seems to be more for those who want the best and a are willing to pay up, sms given my satisfaction with GG I see no point in paying up for more than GH2 except for upgrade itch, especially wanting to divert funds outside digital. I have no doubt it will sound quite better than GG or GG2.

The benefit now is with Ethernet one does not need to spend on the streamer costs, except again to maximize.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Fred

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to Lukasz about my Dac back in August and Greg in the UK has been trying to sort it out - it is just frustrating that it has taken so long.

I have a passive transformer based pre amp - will this type of amp be susceptible to the distortion you describe?

Dave

Lukasz was on Holiday in August as I recall.
Passive preamp should be good as its not gain on gain. Bonzo has more experience that I do with what preamps seem to mate will. He thinks it more an impedence matching issue. I did hear from AudioCircle that the Tortuga LDR passive preamp mated EXCELLENTLY with Lampis.

Please let us know when all is fixed and you try it.

Dont let Greg allow you to hear a GG2, as from what I hear, it will be hard to resist that temptation! LoL

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I forgot to mention in April/May this year I had my GG upgraded with new R2R, super clocks and the power supply modded specifically for the 242s. Shame no one mentioned the imminent arrival of the Pacific.

My similar was done in March/Apr and I didnt know either. It's not even fully complete yet, so I can understand the reluctance to make announcements 6 months in advance. What I do know from the FBook page is that there is a generous upgrade program from GG/GA to to either GG2 or Pacific, full retail to full retail equivalent and from other Dacs with 1% per month reduction in retail take back value.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for that Sujay,
Is that 30k US? - will be sticking with the GG I think, it is good when working properly.

Seatrope posted in another Lampi thread here, look it up. He had a prototype GG2 upgrade done and was floored. This is a guy that went from B7 to GG, to GG modded to GG2. On 2nd thought, dont read it as it is too tempting and will break discliple, though the SE upgrade will only cost about €3K and brings active Triode loading and new/better tube heater circuit according to the powerpoint. It may be a little less if you have a GG1.5 already with Superclocks and R2R...ask Greg.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I was told that Pacific will have a very expensive clock, which, to a large extent, justifies the price increase. I just wonder, if this clock will be offered to the GG owners as an upgrade or an option.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LBonzo has more experience that I do with what preamps seem to mate will. He thinks it more an impedence matching issue.

I think it's a question of impedance and overall gain. dctom has active speakers. His pre is Ypsilon PST. He might have to use two output valves, 242 for his main and PX25 on the music that 242 distorts. I don't know if the Lampi can be adjusted further. As far as I am concerned preamp is secondary to the Lampi, and that includes the AR Ref 10 which is my favorite pre so far comparing it directly to Ypsilon PST and the old Dart pre with Constellation power (the special 45s and PX25s work brilliantly with the AR though). The Aries Cerat pre worked brilliantly with 242 impedance match wise, and did not work only when a speaker of higher sensitivity was brought in, but the gain issue should be easy to adjust. That pre was too expensive but will have to keep the Incito in mind later.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Not sure it was mentioned, but Pacific will be their first DAC with Ethernet input that will be Roon Ready (so very much like the new dCS gear).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not sure it was mentioned, but Pacific will be their first DAC with Ethernet input that will be Roon Ready (so very much like the new dCS gear).

I think the Ethernet - roon is going to be in the lower models as well?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Not sure, but that would be quite logical. IMO in 2-3 years most DACs will have Ethernet, Roon Ready inputs. It just makes sense. We just need to wait till XMOS or Amanero or similar introduce an OEM Roon Ready plug-in board, similar to the current breed of USB boards that used by everyone.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I think it's a question of impedance and overall gain. dctom has active speakers. His pre is Ypsilon PST. He might have to use two output valves, 242 for his main and PX25 on the music that 242 distorts. I don't know if the Lampi can be adjusted further. As far as I am concerned preamp is secondary to the Lampi, and that includes the AR Ref 10 which is my favorite pre so far comparing it directly to Ypsilon PST and the old Dart pre with Constellation power (the special 45s and PX25s work brilliantly with the AR though). The Aries Cerat pre worked brilliantly with 242 impedance match wise, and did not work only when a speaker of higher sensitivity was brought in, but the gain issue should be easy to adjust. That pre was too expensive but will have to keep the Incito in mind later.

Interesting post from AC:

Re: output impedance for Atlantic?

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2017, 01:19 am »

Hi Shredder. What's the input impedance of your current preamp? Can you adjust it to get a perfect match for your Atlantic? I've found that after trying many settings that my Golden Gate sounds best in my system with the Tortuga's input impedance set to somewhere between 79k and 89k (per phase). I have saved settings (you can save any five values) now at 79, 82, 85, 87, and 89k. Switching values is just a couple of clicks on the remote.

Below 79k the mid/treble starts to be a bit forward, though spacious. Above 89, dynamic transients begin to be a bit tame. I've found that most of the time, I use 85k which has great width/depth to the sound stage and the bass is at it's best in terms of dynamics, frequency extension, and control. I also use different settings for problematic recordings (e.g. older/dull recordings that need some brightening or those with a transistory hardness or glare that need to be tamed).

My Tortuga has a challenging output load to drive with mid/treble amps of 100 kohm input impedance and bass amps with 25 kohm impedance. I use a second Tortuga LDR1B (one fixed balanced input) ahead of the bass amps. I have the input impedance of the LDR1B at 85 kohm per phase and the attenuation set to around 63 (where 70 is no attenuation).

Your optimum input impedance settings may differ of course, but my system is far from what would be considered to be an ideal match for a passive controller and the LDRxB fits in just fine.

Best,
Robert

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Mine has no issue with spdit but the AES/EBU is not working at all. :(

Hi,

I had issues with response time as well. I think they are simply full up on capacity right now. Mine had gone in for installing the superclocks, repairing the spdif and getting the AES/EBU connection to work. It took more than a month and a dozen calls to chase up. So indeed frustrating but hopefully it's some consolation that you aren't alone.

By the way, my 2 cents on the Pacific - with a price tag, presumably, touching the 30k mark, while still potentially a giant slayer, it's by no means a 'value' buy anymore!

Cheers
Sujay

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think the Ethernet - roon is going to be in the lower models as well?

I asked Lukasz this the other day but there is not apparantly enough room in GG2 to accommodate.

As an aside to those people mentioning communication delays with the factory of late, they have been without an office manager for some weeks now after the last one left.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked Lukasz this the other day but there is not apparantly enough room in GG2 to accommodate.

As an aside to those people mentioning communication delays with the factory of late, they have been without an office manager for some weeks now after the last one left.

So it's a call of GG2 + Streamer vs Pacific, where cost is concerned? (with the caveat that adding a streamer to Pacific could take it up a level if one wanted that cost)

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
To offer some clarification, Golden Gate owners should not feel upset about their Golden Gate investments. We will be offering an introductory 100% trade in for owners who wish to transition from a GG (or GA) to a Pacific of same specification.

The Pacific is slated to start at 22,000Euro not $35,000 USD.

The active triode loading implementation, enhanced superclocks and a few other features in the Pacific will not be available in the Golden Gate 2.

The Golden Gate 2 will still be a large update over even late model Gen 5 Golden Gates. Be on the lookout for a professional review from David Robinson at Positive Feedback who owned and lived with the original Golden Gate prior to getting the GG2 upgrades for review. Spoiler alert: he's grinning.

We are also hoping to see some feedback on the Pacific posted in the next couple of days from our very experienced beta tester in the US who has spent time with virtually every model dac and says the jump from his Golden Gate balanced (final specific with r2r, superclocks, etc) to the Pacific was more significant than the move from his Big 7 to Golden Gate!

Stay tuned--things are about to get interesting. :)

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Yeah, I am guessing from what I have been hearing.....I think for GG owners though, it may not be a bad idea to go GG2. Probably worth it. For someone like me going up from Big 7, a bit of a stretch considering there is no end to this. While Lukasz may have run out of oceans to name his DACs after, there are many >8000 meter peaks left right up to the Everest.......so I
foresee another big league DAC from him soon!

Cheers

If he does not fancy Mountaineering He could always go submersivie and call it Mariana

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
22K Euro. Hm. Too much. It is only a DAC. Even silly expensive DACs just sound like, well, er, DACs. Though some sound better than others they are still just DACs. There's only so much you can do with triode distortion and the variation in distortion you get by swapping tubes.

I surmise it cannot be worth if for the vast majority. But then I guess it is aimed at the very wealthy minority. And if you can trap their cash, you're doing OK. So I don't blame any attempt to try.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
So you are not truly addicted to the best??? LOL...

22K Euro. Hm. Too much. It is only a DAC. Even silly expensive DACs just sound like, well, er, DACs. Though some sound better than others they are still just DACs. There's only so much you can do with triode distortion and the variation in distortion you get by swapping tubes.

I surmise it cannot be worth if for the vast majority. But then I guess it is aimed at the very wealthy minority. And if you can trap their cash, you're doing OK. So I don't blame any attempt to try.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing