Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
MSB Select II is built about as well as any dac; power supplies for analog and digital are in separate outboard power supply chassis. the Ethernet module is a plug in and has it's own power supply. i found that the Pro USB interface sounded better so that is what i was using.

but.....i still got a small be noticable performance boost by just removing the unused Ethernet module.

so unless Ethernet is a boost to performance or essential for some reason, try to get it away from the dac. then listen. don't assume it does not matter.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You cant "take away" the built in Ethernet module in the Pac. Its off when not being used and has a separate PSU. The Pac weighs about as much as a regular amp...its a lot of PSUs in there and vastly over-specced. Big iron...

Again, the user consensus is that Ethernet is great on PCM, but trails USB noticeably on DSD. The original FW for the Ethernet was not great, but since it was updated more than a year ago, it was a total turnaround.

More relevant for the Pac is to keep your modem on the RIGHT of the Pac or if on the left, faaaaar away from the dac.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Greetings

Sorry if it’s already been dissected and discussed. I’ve decided upgrade to the Pacific and was wondering what the consensus is on using Ethernet. I’m getting great results with USB using the sonic transport/Sonore signature and looking forward to upgrading to their optical solution. I inquired about Ethernet and this is the response: please see attached. What to do.

After you got the Ethernet-in with your Pacific DAC for free (so to say, instead of having to buy it for an amount between 2k and 8k like with other brands :rolleyes:) you should probably just try and use it ;)
Please let us know what you find out :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
More relevant for the Pac is to keep your modem on the RIGHT of the Pac or if on the left, faaaaar away from the dac.

How far is "faaaaar" in centimeters?

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Al discovered this in his setup....if modem is to the right of the Pac when facing it...no issues...if to the left...i think he said 6 feet away to be safe...1.8meters.

Reactions: christoph

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Al discovered this in his setup....if modem is to the right of the Pac when facing it...no issues...if to the left...i think he said 6 feet away to be safe...1.8meters.

Can you shield the modem to reduce the distance? Why the difference between right and left?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hello Redphu,
You want me to share the impressions from Acapella and Duo Mezzo XD presentations?
Or just to say hello?;)

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Thank you gentlemen. Ok going all in. Hope it’s a definite night and day improve over the spectacular GG2.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you gentlemen. Ok going all in. Hope it’s a definite night and day improve over the spectacular GG2.
According to Golum (who just recently upgraded from GG2 to Pacific) it is ;)

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Big transformer on the left side. Yes, I guess you could do faraday cage type shield, but that may impact wifi on the modem...
Are you referring only to a wifi modem as problematic? Thanks

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
What are you gents picking as the extra input. Right now I’m perfectly happy with using USB and looking forward to trying Ethernet. There is an off chance I may add a phono stage in the future.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Are you referring only to a wifi modem as problematic? Thanks
That I cant say. I was just saying that faraday cage would likely mess with wifi operations in the modem. I invite AL to elaborate.

My modem is 10ft away and to the right, so never had this problem.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
What are you gents picking as the extra input. Right now I’m perfectly happy with using USB and looking forward to trying Ethernet. There is an off chance I may add a phono stage in the future.
Mine came with a spdif pre-amp input..

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
This is a bit of a pain so USB for DSD and Ethernet for PCM. What are you guys using to feed the Pacific. Also can someone confirm that there is no trial period for trade up?

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
I’m trying to work something out. My first purchase was direct through Lukaz and Co. Everything worked out splendid. This time around they put me in touch with a dealer. I ask about the Ethernet and he’s encouraging me not to get the Ethernet port and agrees that it’s a cleaner, more simplified path, without Ethernet. And on top of that he’ll deduct 200 off the price. After talking to you folks, I tell him I wanted the Ethernet port. Immediately he changes his tune and congratulates me, telling me it’s a good choice. Any insight what’s his angle for taking off 200. Sorry just been bugging me.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Don't listen to the dealer on this occasion but rather guys here (Chris, Norm, Marslo, Al, etc.) as they have TONS of experience with this stuff. But getting 200 off and on sounds odd tbh...
Pick some nice color scheme ;) and enjoy later (you will) as i did the same swap as you are doing..

Cheers;
G

Reactions: Redphu

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Big transformer on the left side. Yes, I guess you could do faraday cage type shield, but that may impact wifi on the modem...
May be copper shielding in the Pacific surrounding the transformer?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I’m trying to work something out. My first purchase was direct through Lukaz and Co. Everything worked out splendid. This time around they put me in touch with a dealer. I ask about the Ethernet and he’s encouraging me not to get the Ethernet port and agrees that it’s a cleaner, more simplified path, without Ethernet. And on top of that he’ll deduct 200 off the price. After talking to you folks, I tell him I wanted the Ethernet port. Immediately he changes his tune and congratulates me, telling me it’s a good choice. Any insight what’s his angle for taking off 200. Sorry just been bugging me.
Dear Redphu,

If I may suggest get your PAC with Ethernet port. The possible price reduction is minimal in relation to the price of your DAC and among audiophiles the opinions about the supremacy of rj 45 or usb are as alwyas different.
As far as my own experience is concerned I tried once the rj 45 with my PAC SE during the audition of LDMS . Lukasz Domanski who is a computer wizard and uses also Pac in his setup prefers usb but for me the audition of rj 45 was quite promissing and requires further investigation.
Moreover my W20 server has the option for Ravenna protocol , the favourite software of Nadac people, one day I will try it.
Nadac gear and soft is used very often in recording studios for native dsd.
Some audiophiles consider rj 45 as technicaly better connection , imho is very system depending , having both in your system you will be able the have your own opinion.
One more thing - since a few month I have Jcat Lan and usb conditioner for better grounding of my PAC and server , it works, the usb cable is conncected to W20 and ethernet one is in PAC rj 45 input.

https://jcat.eu/product/usb-lan-ground-conditioner/

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
May be copper shielding in the Pacific surrounding the transformer?

i have a Symposium Svelt Shelf (2 thin stainless steel sheets with a membrane between them) that i've used a number of times between my dac and either pre/phono or server; it always seemed to lower noise/hum somewhere, besides helping with resonance. it can get warm; so if something hot is below likely need to line it with cardboard or something to deal with that.

if you have a vertical issue and not horizontal, this is a practical choice that only takes about 5/8th of an inch of height.

https://www.symposiumusa.com/svelte.html

with my MSB and Extreme it's no longer any concern. so i use the Svelt Shelf under my Entreq Silver Tellus; which now ground my -3- Studer tape decks and King Cello tape repro.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing